Traverse Forum banner

Would you buy another Traverse?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a loyal Chevy customer for decades. I have a Traverse that seems to be self destructing. Chevy's vehicle lineup doesn't appeal to me very much. The cars are undesirable with the exception of the Impala, but it does not offer AWD so it is out of the running. Switching to SUV's, the Equinox is too light/generic and the Tahoe/Suburban are too much (I've owned 3 in the past). This leaves the Traverse. Considering all the frustration I have experienced and my loss of faith in Chevy/GM, buying another Traverse would seem to be some sort of insanity (doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome).

What do the rest of you think?

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
At this point I don't think I will buy another Traverse, possibly not another GM. Not for a while anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think I would buy another,what brand doesn't have problems. Look at the recalls. That's what they are all sayin I'm buying another BRAND.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy another Traverse based on my current '09 LT1 meeting my transportation needs and being trouble free through 43000 miles. However I will probably switch to an Acadia for my next ride---possibly a 2014 or even wait until the 2015 which should be all new, I believe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes I would buy another Traverse. If I had the money I might look at a higher end model but I love my Traverse for sure. Coming from an old Saturn to a Chevy Blazer to a Traverse I feel like I have a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Recalls seem to be happening for more frequently with every brand.
The Traverse is as much SUV as I really need. But it can't stop me from wishing at least occasionally that I had a Suburban.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Love my 2013 LS AWD !!! So smooth, spacious, quiet, comfortable, etc
That said I prob wouldn't buy another traverse due to extremely
Poor gas mileage. Getting 14-15 mpg in town really sucks.

I might jump to an equinox/terrain when my lease is up in 2015, right
In time for the refresh. If those aren't appealing to me, I will look
At other brands.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You need another option " Have you already bought another Traverse"

I even had issues with my 2010 it went through all of the steering issues but was finally repaired, the AC died in it out of warranty had to have that repaired. It was missing a insulator from the gas tank not installed at build time fixed under warranty had a thump in the rear over that.

I still bought the 2013..

This being said I have friend and coworkers with Traverses and they have never had any issues.. Now allot of them had the steering fluid changed out but only after I told them about the service bulitin.

I enjoy this site but allot of people seek it out because they are having issues which is fine we are happy to help.

This site does come off seemingly bias to the problems people are having when a vast majority of vehicles never have a single issue. Of course I see this on many car sites.

The one thing I will say is the days if superior "Brand's" are gone. All the major brands are now so big and pumping vehicles out so fast it's impossible to build / design every vehicle flawlessly.

So for the people switching just go into it with realistic expectations.. I know people and have read many posts of other makes of vehicle having all kinds of issues as well.

I just go by this, sometimes you get a good one some times you don't..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes I would buy another. Just reached 71000 miles and running great. Other than warranty work no out of pocket expenses except normal maintenance with 3000 mile oil changes, tires and a battery for our 2010 LS awd. :thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, it's a GM product, right? My Yukon wasn't perfect and I never expected my Traverse to be either. Of course I did make sure I held off buying any of the early models...but it's still a gamble....GM, like most NA manufacturers play games with their suppliers, forcing them to "innovate" (read cheapen) components mid model, which can cause ongoing problems with reliability. Toyota tend to stick with what works, but don't drop the price. I'd like to say that I'd be driving a Toyota if they made something to compete (i.e. w/the towing ability that I need) with my Traverse, that I could afford. Oh well. Thankfully our daily driver is a Corolla -- fantastic car; fuel efficient, reliable and cheap, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My wife and I love our new Traverse but it is too early to say if I would buy another. In 2010 we had bought a new Malibu and had planned on keeping it. During the 3yrs and 36,000mi of ownership It had several problems all covered under warranty. Although I had also paid for an extended warranty I was afraid to keep it and traded it in. The last straw was a no start issue that the dealer could not duplicate and it did not set any codes.

You could buy 2 identical vehicles and have no problems with one and a nightmare with the other.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have an 2009 LT1 with 107,000 miles and this was a real early model that is supposed to have the timing chain issue. I have always changed the oil at 5,000 miles and have personally done all the maintenance per the intervals listed in the manual.

The water pump was changed out under warranty at 85,000 but other than that not one problem with this car. It has faithfully hauled our family of five and pulled our travel trailer while giving us great gas mileage for such a big vehicle. The car is reliable and a great value. I will be driving this car for another two years and then buy another one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
we had to sell ours ue to money problems, but once we get in better shape we will be getting another. we may have to lease a car for 2 or 3 years until then( using my crew cab silverado for 3 kids and another on the way is fine for some things but not all)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would definitely buy another Traverse. I bought a 2010 LTZ. I have never felt more pampered than I do in my Traverse. I have put it through the paces with kids dogs and traveling. Never misses a beat. I have had recalls done on it. Every car company has recalls.I love how they put softer materials in the newer they got. I love the road manners and the quite ride. The room and the family feel. Even a nice date night car. Love the Traverse!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would buy another one anytime. I love my 2014 LTZ with 25K of the most comfortable, smooth miles ever driven. The cooled seats sure were nice on 100 degree days out west this summer and lots of room when I needed a driving break to lean back and put my feet on the dash and catch a few winks while my co-pilot drove a while.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I don't know.

I'm from a GM family and father is a retiree so I get a nice discount. I've only owned GM's. Pretty much all have been reliable, except this thing.

Our '10 Traverse is at 101K now and just over 5 years. Here's what's gone wrong:
- DVD player out at 30K replaced under warranty
- W/P leaking at 50K fixed under special coverage
- Rack leaking at 60K miles failed inspection, mechanic replaced for $1200
- A year later pump goes, takes out new rack in the process, both replaced by dealer for $2500. couple months later special coverage comes out, recoup $900 bucks after 3 months of runaround with dealer
- A/C going out. Recharged it Sunday, still holding but we'll see how long it takes to leak out again. Hoping it's not the evaporator, there's another $1500 down the crapper if so

The transmission and timing chain issues, even though both were supposedly "resolved" starting in '10 weigh heavily on my mind. We leave for a 400 mile round trip in 2 weeks and I don't have the confidence in the vehicle I used to, enough to consider renting a minivan. My wife's car before this, which she bought before we married, was an '03 Rav4 that went 110K with just oil/brakes/tires, and even she is questioning the logic of another Lambda. But odds are we will probably buy another next year based upon the utility of the vehicle and the discounts I get. I can only hope the issues that plagued the earlier years have finally been addressed. I know the w/p and evaporators have revised p/n's, and p/s system has a new pump plus Dex 6. Timing chains seem like less of an issue but still wary of that 6T70. The shortened powertrain warranty doesn't help things either.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The shortened powertrain warranty doesn't help things either.

Depends who you are. If a customer, that is correct. If GM, look at all the extra extended warranties at extra cost they will be selling!

5 year 60000 miles for these new power train warranties start with the 2016 Chevrolet and GMC models. Not a fan of that at all!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quantum said:
At this point I don't think I will buy another Traverse, possibly not another GM. Not for a while anyway.
I had sworn off GM after two less than stellar SUV experiences (SRX and 97x). I mean good vehicles overall, but the build quality was not suited to pain free long term ownership. The only reason we swung back to GM for this purchase was the combination of features (useable third row, true captains chairs, and AWD), and size (fits in garage). Would I buy another? Yes (for aforementioned features) and no (the platform was developed during GW Bush's first term). With some updating, I would. Also depends on how well this one ages.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts