Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the rear bumper on our vehicle after it was damaged in a parking lot. Since I wasn't going to get any $ out of the person, I sourced a CAPA certified bumper. The colour of the bumper is close to stock, but it is lighter than the adjacent trim found along the body sides. It is noticeable to me and I'd like to darken the grey of the replacement bumper. The bumpers on my model are not colour matched to the body. Is there a way to darken plastic, without painting it? It's not an armor-all situation, I need to darken the bumper, using dye or something similar.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Ive used that armor all stuff- that returns the trim back to black or grey or whatever color. On my 2003 Trailblazer.

The plastic now has different shades- after its washed and some time has passed since its last treatment.
But after I apply the stuff- the trim all take on the same shade.

Outlast- trim and plastic restorer by armor all.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Even on vehicles that never needed a replacement you can never match the plastic/metal match. You can see this mostly on silver, gold red and many colors. There is a shade of difference that looks not too good but not much you can do.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I forgot to mention. You will see this color change starting aprx after 3 years of ownership. My Uplander was very bad for this color change and it was not hard to detect. Gold mist metallic. Much darker on the plastic than the metal.

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The issue is that I don't need to restore the color, I need to darken the color of the replacement bumper. It hasn't faded, it just doesn't match the OEM colour since it is aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Personally if you want a perfect match according to the age of your Traverse the bumper will have to be repainted again matching the colour change over the years . They can match perfectly with their color matching computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts