Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pics of their aftermarket trailer hitch? I understand from previous posts that the plastic panel will not fit over an aftermarket hitch. I just want to see what this looks like before I decide to buy my hitch. I'm about 90% sure I'm getting the hitch, even if it looks stupid. I'm just curious as to how stupid.

***Yes, I am aware that with an aftermarket hitch, the towing capacity is only 2000lbs.***

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
its possible that you can order the GM hitch so that it fits behind the panel

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a price quote request into my dealer for a hitch for my 09. My main point was that it has to be able to fit the panel. I should have gotten the info by now, but I am guessing their email parts guy is on vacation or something. I will post with the part# and info if/when I get it.

If you just want to see an aftermarket one, here is an install video. You can just skip to the end to see the finished product.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Hitch-Install-2009-Chevy-Traverse2.aspx

I'm not recommending the product or the site, just something I came across in my own research.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone. I will more than likely order my hitch from etrailer.com unless I find out the GM one costs about the same or less than the etrailer ones (about $140 to $150).

·
Registered
73 Posts
rbarrios said:
its possible that you can order the GM hitch so that it fits behind the panel
There are two different hitch covers. So if it did not come with the tow package it would not have a cover that fits. But going to a junk yard might be a cheap way to go to find a hitch cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my hitch from etrailer (Draw tight) and the cover fits fine.....a little tight but it fits. Had the hitch on for a year now with 0 problems. (09 LT2). Don't use it for towing as that is what my silverado is for.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
khansen30 said:
There are two different hitch covers. So if it did not come with the tow package it would not have a cover that fits. But going to a junk yard might be a cheap way to go to find a hitch cover.
The Traverse only has 1 hitch cover regardless if you buy the tow package or not. Its not like the Acadia.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quicksilverc5 said:
I got my hitch from etrailer (Draw tight) and the cover fits fine.....a little tight but it fits. Had the hitch on for a year now with 0 problems. (09 LT2). Don't use it for towing as that is what my silverado is for.
Cool. I'm pretty sure the Draw Tight was the one I was going to buy, so I guess that solves my issue! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
OneLove19451981 said:
Thanks, everyone. I will more than likely order my hitch from etrailer.com unless I find out the GM one costs about the same or less than the etrailer ones (about $140 to $150).
Have you actually checked the prices at GM ? I'm pretty sure the "selling price" would fall into the Drawtite price, plus you'll be certain it fits properly.

Bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sent my dealer another message trying to get a price on the hitch. They got back to me and said the parts would be $511. Seems they want to sell a wiring harness and upgraded fuse block with it. I kind of laughed and emailed them back asking about just buying the hitch. He said the hitch can be ordered by itself for $225.74. When I asked him about the fuse block, he told me "the accessory dept told me the wiring on the traverse is not heavy enough to add trailer lights. If you don't change the fuse block and add a separate circuit for the trailer you will keep blowing fuses."

Anyone else heard this about the wiring?

A

·
0 Posts
Not sure about the Traverse, but the Acadia does have a different fuse block for V92 (towing) equipped vehicles

·
Registered
69 Posts
OneLove19451981 said:
Cool. I'm pretty sure the Draw Tight was the one I was going to buy, so I guess that solves my issue! Thanks.
If you check out the Expert Question on that product, he says it won't fit behind the panel. I know quick said his fit, but I figured I would bring this up. He does say the Curt hitch will.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-14289.html

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
dstanley said:
I sent my dealer another message trying to get a price on the hitch. They got back to me and said the parts would be $511. Seems they want to sell a wiring harness and upgraded fuse block with it. I kind of laughed and emailed them back asking about just buying the hitch. He said the hitch can be ordered by itself for $225.74. When I asked him about the fuse block, he told me "the accessory dept told me the wiring on the traverse is not heavy enough to add trailer lights. If you don't change the fuse block and add a separate circuit for the trailer you will keep blowing fuses."

Anyone else heard this about the wiring?
on the acadia forum- Acadias- have LED tailamps.... if you connect to that-- youre going to have trouble.. because the LEDs run on very little power...
tap in- and start using regular bulbs--- and well trouble...
so they are required to have that fuse block added if they want to avoid the LED problems.

On the Traverse- we dont have LED's.... but I dont know if anyone has simply tapped into the lamps...
If I were going to do this-- Id go the route of the fuse block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dstanley said:
If you check out the Expert Question on that product, he says it won't fit behind the panel. I know quick said his fit, but I figured I would bring this up. He does say the Curt hitch will.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-14289.html
+1 for the quality of Curt Hitch. I don't know if it fits behind the panel, but I had a Curt on my Toyota pickup and that thing was solid and the fitment was perfect!

·
Registered
69 Posts
rbarrios said:
On the Traverse- we dont have LED's.... but I dont know if anyone has simply tapped into the lamps...
If I were going to do this-- Id go the route of the fuse block.
I don't have the money for the fuse block costs, but then again I'm not planning to tow anything just yet. I do need the hitch for a cargo rack in August though, so I may just go with the Curt hitch and forget the wiring until next year. Even then the only thing I can think of towing is some jet skis.

I did notice however that eTrailer has a T wire harness that they sell for the traverse. They even have a nice install video. Anyways, I will probably do more research before I go that route.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Just to give you an idea....
my cargo rack- and to avoid having someone hit the rack...
I added LED's (parking, turn, brake).

in this image- the parking lamps are on---- theyre even brighter when the brakes are applied.
you can tell the brakes ARE NOT pressed- because the high mount 3rd brake light is off... and its not the flash because the reflectors in the bumper are not lit up.

here they are connected to the factory 7 pin plug.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep, I've seen your post on that. The carrier I will be using is borrowed from my parents (no lights). After the trip the hitch will probably just be used for a bike rack. That's why I may just go without the lights for now. I may just stick some reflecting tape on it or something, it may already have some.

For the hitch, I may call Curt directly to verify that it will fit the panel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know I've pretty well hijacked this thread, but...

Contacting Curt directly didn't help. All the guy could tell me was that it allowed the hitch cover to work on some vehicles, but he didn't have a list. :banghead: I need a hitch for a trip in 3 weeks. We have 5 adults and a baby plus luggage. I've got the GM Thule roof carrier, but I don't think we will have enough room unless I am able to use the hitch rack. ??? Guess I will start calling some local hitch shops. I guess if I run out of time I will go for the GM model.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts