Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my trailblazer- I was used to buying the filter at Wal Mart. ACDELCO.
I stopped by Wal Mart looking for PF-48.... no go.
they had PF-46 and PF-47... but no room for PF-48.

Anyone found that filter at Wal Mart.
I can get the filter at a local ACDELCO parts place... but Wal Mart is more accessible and is cheaper than the auto part places.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You are still better off than I. That is, in Canada one can only obtain AC Delco filters through a GM dealership...and they arent cheap....approx $10 US!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Cdnverse said:
Find yourself an AC-Delco dealer.
I didnt know that. What chain/franchise places in Canada (other than dealerships) carry AC Delco labelled parts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
copperbeech said:
I didnt know that. What places other than dealerships carry AC Delco parts?
I bought my last one at a local auto parts store. I think it was only $3.99 or something ridiculous like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dear all,

Had the oil chaged at about 4,300-miles for the first time on the "Big Black Dog". I noticed that they installed a Fram PH10060, but you note discussed the PF48.

Since I did not realize the PF48 was an AC/Delco number, I wondered if they put the right one on. I looked it up and they did ok with the Fram, (although I'm certain that choice might upset some AC/only fans). Fram has two others of the same fit-up, that suposedly offer extended miles between changes.

There is also a Carquest 84060 and 84070 listed as "competitors" on the Fram site, along with others I didn't recognize.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
TDK,

If you had your oil and filter changed at a GM dealer, I'm wondering ??? why they're using Fram instead of AC Delco.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried a 2nd walmart. no PF-48.
I went to the local AC DELCO parts place (store that sells all AC-DELCO parts to auto repair places- walk ins are not turned away)....Thay had it in stock. About $5.

·
Registered
54 Posts
bobg1951chevy,

We have not had a "Local GM Dealer" (nearest is 120-miles away), for about 6-months or longer.

I first had the oil/filter changed on the 2006 Chevy pickup by Wal-Mart and they did OK.

Then they did the Tranverse later the same day. Today, she reported there is a spot of oil under it on the garage floor. The garage is otherwise spotless, with very little other than vehicle tires, two tables, two work drawers and a heavy work bench - actually touching the floor.

I told her that the Traverse filter was hard to prevent spilling during removal, such that some may be on the engine or frame and have to drip off over a few days. Is this likely to be the case?

I intend to wipe it up and check later after a brief run, but hopefully it is in fact - just spill reside and not a leaking filter or plug.

Thanks,

Time passes... Well it was actually two drops, that totaled the diameter of a Bud Lite. We shall see...

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
TDK,

I did NOT change the oil and filter in my Traverse myself, my GM dealer did. I would suggest you keep your eyes peeled for additional oil drops. From what this forum has stated, getting the filter off may not be the easiest operation, so we can give the guys at Wal Mart working on your Traverse the benefit of the doubt and suggest they may have spilled oil in the subfame somewhere. Time will tell.

For what it is worth ....if you have a gusher of an oil leak on the highway with your Fram filter and the engine is damaged, Chevy will NOT back up warranty repairs on work done by techs outside of GM perimeters with non GM parts.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when I changed my oil last week- 1st time on the traverse....
oil did spill...
When I was done- I went back and cleaned the area from underneath.
to be safe- I left a piece of cardboard under the car- so as to avoid oil stains in driveway...
the next morning- no oil drop on cardboard--- BUT oil had formed a small bead ...
I cleaned it again.
It not an oil leak--- simply residual oil making its way down from my 1st oil change.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Funny story about oil changes....

I had a 2008 VW Passat along side my wifes Traverse. I took in in for a 10K oil change and the next day as I was driving to work the engine seized up. After being towed to the VW dealer we found that they marked my service as complete when in actuality my VW was pretty well drained of fluid.

The VW dealer (who also owned a caddy dealership) agreed to buy back my car and I got a new SRX for a pittance in exchange for not suing them.

Lesson learned - always do services at a dealership. Had I taken it to a Jiffy Lube my guess is it wouldn't have worked out so keen.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
intotheoh said:
Funny story about oil changes....

I had a 2008 VW Passat along side my wifes Traverse. I took in in for a 10K oil change and the next day as I was driving to work the engine seized up. After being towed to the VW dealer we found that they marked my service as complete when in actuality my VW was pretty well drained of fluid.

The VW dealer (who also owned a caddy dealership) agreed to buy back my car and I got a new SRX for a pittance in exchange for not suing them.

Lesson learned - always do services at a dealership. Had I taken it to a Jiffy Lube my guess is it wouldn't have worked out so keen.
That is a good ending to a real serious issue!

·
Registered
115 Posts
intotheoh said:
Unless of course they actually put oil back in for you, unlike the dealership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts