Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 has 130000 Miles on it now.i was planning on changing the pcv valve and was curious if anyone has done this.im also going to drain coolant and transmission fluid.i changed plugs at 105000 and drained transmission fluid but only got 4 quarts to drain so I know it needs it again.it runs as good as new and I would like to keep it that way.any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
130,000 miles that's good. I have 120,000 on my 2009. I had the transmission fluid changed at the dealer at 75,000 miles. And I did it myself recently were I drained it, refilled then drove about 200 miles and drained and refilled again. Had the water pump replaced so the coolant was changed then. Changed spark plugs at 110,000 miles.

I never thought about the PVC valve and haven't read anything about.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Okay that's good to know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i ordered one from Advance Auto and got it the next day.i don't know if it needs changing but after 130000 it wouldn't hurt.I think it is on the drivers side at the front close to valve cover

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
mckay99 said:
i ordered one from Advance Auto and got it the next day.i don't know if it needs changing but after 130000 it wouldn't hurt.I think it is on the drivers side at the front close to valve cover
If the Traverse doesn't have a PCV valve (and I'm sure rbarrios would know), what the heck did you order?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I even looked at the screen and it said 2011 traverse pcv valve.i will let you know if I have any problems changing it.im gonna work on it New Year's Day.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
mckay99 said:
I even looked at the screen and it said 2011 traverse pcv valve.i will let you know if I have any problems changing it.im gonna work on it New Year's Day.
Rock Auto shows the valve, as well. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
mckay99 said:
Pics would be nice.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
that video--- those pictures... look so familiar... oh wait-- those are my hands in the pics..... hmmmm no one asked permission.....

but the description says

GMC Acadia's engine comes without pcv valve, so evaporated oil collect in intake hose, causes poor acceleration and turn on the engine warning light....so i figured out to install a pcv valve to solve this problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rbarrios will I have to make my own hose and connection for this.The only reason I was going to change it was because of high miles.It probably doesn't even need it because it runs perfect and gets great gas mileage.My wife drives 106 miles every day to work so I just want it to run its best.If you don't see the need in changing I'll just take it back.by the way thanks for all of your advice you have helped me every time I needed it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Two cents......The older the engine the more wear on the rings, cylinder walls and valve seals results in higher blow-by pressures in the crankcase so it stands to reason that all PCV systems must be maintained at peak performance in particular in older engines.

The spring in the check valve type PCV system, even if periodically cleaned will eventually fatigue and suck too much oil vapor/oil deposits into the induction system.....the controlled orifice type has no moving parts but if the orifice clogs increased crankcase pressure will cause the oil seals to blow as will the spring type if it becomes clogged. So all types require periodic maintenance or you'll likely get buildup in the induction system and/or leaking engine seals. Hard to tell from the picture of the replacement part for the '15, but it looks like the spring type.

The idea of using an aftermarket recovery system in the PCV line appears to be a practical method to compensate for excessive oil drawn into the PCV system, similar to the water knockout used in lines on air compressors.

·
Registered
616 Posts
rbarrios said:
that video--- those pictures... look so familiar... oh wait-- those are my hands in the pics..... hmmmm no one asked permission.....

but the description says

GMC Acadia's engine comes without pcv valve, so evaporated oil collect in intake hose, causes poor acceleration and turn on the engine warning light....so i figured out to install a pcv valve to solve this problem.
Any pics you post should have the copyright symbol.
so in fact you did this mod, any change in engine performance ?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I didnt do this pcv mod.
The pics he grabbed- are from the thread for cleaning the throttle body I believe.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
rbarrios said:
I didnt do this pcv mod.
The pics he grabbed- are from the thread for cleaning the throttle body I believe.
So are you saying that what he's calling a PCV valve ISN'T a PCV valve?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
yeah-- its not your conventional PCV system,

I remember someone giving a good description of it....
Ill see if I can find it...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Why are auto suppliers, including Rock Auto listing the P.C.V ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
There has to be some sort of vent for the crankcase. Just has to be. It may be non-serviceable ( Built into valve cover ), but there has to be a PCV valve of some sort.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts