Traverse Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I agree with you - it seems to mimic bad actuators - at least initially. Eventually, though, there's NO cooling.

After the 1st recharge, they said they couldn't find the leak; they charged it again. Lost that charge within about 3 wks, but I have been out of town for a couple months. I suspect they didn't realize there's a rear evaporator, so I'm actually taking it back in this morning for another leak check. Also taking them a few web printouts with PN for the rear AC lines. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
SUCCESS. After 3 tries, they finally found the leak in the rear evaporator - it was the dreaded "rear evaporator pinhole leaks" caused by the fan motor's brushes shedding copper particles. I haven't seen any posts for this issue for some time (although Revpeach1 did mention it in response to my first post last year), but had seen posts regarding the AC lines to the rear evaporator, as well as the rubbing hoses to the rear of the engine, so I had told them about those 2 issues to aid their search. But the rear evaporator pinhole leaks issue had completely slipped my mind between when I started this thread and when I finally got it in for someone to look at it (senior moment, I guess). I suppose the 3-4 weeks it held a charge should have given me a hint that the leak was pretty small.

I guess I'm "lucky" it lasted for 4-1/2 years (actually failed about 11 months ago). The wife doesn't run the rear AC much unless someone is back there, which is rare. She only runs it if it's really cold outside. So I guess there weren't as many copper particles as others have had.

$795 parts (evaporator, expansion valve, inlet and outlet tubes and a couple of bolts, refrigerant re-charge)
$733 labor
$70 tax.

2017 2LT

21 - 22 of 22 Posts