Traverse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you're following me, I just replied to Megan this morningregarding her AC issue. I explained to her how the compressor supplies both front and rear evaporators and a quick explanation of the actuators. I mentioned that I was having an intermittent issue with my actuators, but hadn't checked them yet.

Here's the story: About a month ago, I started car and got about 10 secs of a squeal coming from the dash, couldn't tell exactly where. After that, the passenger side AC doesn't get cold. It gets "cool," but not as cold as the drivers side. A day or two later, it's OK again. Then it's bad again. So it's been off and on, with more off than on, ever since. As I told Megan, I thought it might be the passenger side temperature actuator, but I hadn't checked it yet. So now I've shamed myself into checking it. (I did pull the fuse and let it recalibrate a week or so ago, but that didn't change anything.)

So this afternoon, I observed the mode actuator on the passenger side move full range while swapping from vent to floor to bilevel to defrost and I observed the recirc actuator move full range for outside air and recirc. I observed the passenger side temperature actuator move full range from hot to cold, but it never gets as cold at the driver side. I couldn't understand why the passenger side wouldn't get cold if the actuator is moving full range, so even though it's a PITA, I pulled the actuator and verified that I could physically move the damper myself. I can actually hear and feel the damper go closed in the cold position, but still get only "cool" air.

So I'm wondering how in the heck can the damper be moving fully to the cold position, but I'm only getting cool air, not cold air?

Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2015 LTZ. I also had the pin hole leak in the rear evaporator line which means about once a year I have to give it a shot of freon. After I top off the freon the driver's side and passenger side return to equal coolness.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
With low ''Freon'' the evaporator only gets cold partially so depending on how air is directed through it will change how air gets cooled. If D side air flow is next to the evap. inlet it will be colder.
Having one apart to see how it works would make it easy but that's a lot of work for sure.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks lie a recharge can is around $35, so I'll give it a try today.

I don't know what the squeal was. Do these things have relief valves if the pressure gets too high?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Get the one with the dye in it so it's easier to track down the leak if a more substantial repair is needed down the road.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
Quikie cans usually have gauges and adapter for the low side.
If high side is too high PCM will turn off the compressor.

·
Registered
11,874 Posts
hmmm.
May want to remove the glove box and drop the blower fan.
There is supposed to be a screen to filter out stuff from the inlet.
Im wondering if something has gotten in past the screen and maybe clogged one of the passages to the side that is acting up.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm.
May want to remove the glove box and drop the blower fan.
There is supposed to be a screen to filter out stuff from the inlet.
Im wondering if something has gotten in past the screen and maybe clogged one of the passages to the side that is acting up.

I'd think that would change the air flow. Flow seems unchanged, just not cool. Won't have time to deal with it for awhile, but maybe I'll try it later.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I haven't found a solution. I did pull the passenger side actuator and verified it was working and the damper was free to move. Also eyeballed the other actuators and verified they were moving. Too cold out now to mess with it. Not sure about the rear, but I don't think it's cooling much either. So it might be a problem with the refrigerant or maybe even the compressor. But the initial squeal seemed to come from the center stack, which led me to think the actuators.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had a couple of vehicles one 2012 Acadia another 2002 Chevy venture that had a similar issue when there was a charge related problem. Like you said maybe it was a compressor or something.

If memory served, when there was an issue, the back air conditioning warned up then eventually the passenger side. Driver side was always sort of the last to go which was hard to notice when that's where you sit :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
So if you're following me, I just replied to Megan this morningregarding her AC issue. I explained to her how the compressor supplies both front and rear evaporators and a quick explanation of the actuators. I mentioned that I was having an intermittent issue with my actuators, but hadn't checked them yet.

Here's the story: About a month ago, I started car and got about 10 secs of a squeal coming from the dash, couldn't tell exactly where. After that, the passenger side AC doesn't get cold. It gets "cool," but not as cold as the drivers side. A day or two later, it's OK again. Then it's bad again. So it's been off and on, with more off than on, ever since. As I told Megan, I thought it might be the passenger side temperature actuator, but I hadn't checked it yet. So now I've shamed myself into checking it. (I did pull the fuse and let it recalibrate a week or so ago, but that didn't change anything.)

So this afternoon, I observed the mode actuator on the passenger side move full range while swapping from vent to floor to bilevel to defrost and I observed the recirc actuator move full range for outside air and recirc. I observed the passenger side temperature actuator move full range from hot to cold, but it never gets as cold at the driver side. I couldn't understand why the passenger side wouldn't get cold if the actuator is moving full range, so even though it's a PITA, I pulled the actuator and verified that I could physically move the damper myself. I can actually hear and feel the damper go closed in the cold position, but still get only "cool" air.

So I'm wondering how in the heck can the damper be moving fully to the cold position, but I'm only getting cool air, not cold air?

Anybody have any thoughts?
Did you ever find an answer? I am having the EXACT same problems. Actuator moves normally but only gets cool

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No. I think I'm out of refrigerant, but haven't been able to get it into to someone who knows what they're doing. I tried adding it myself, but apparently was unsuccessful. It hisses sometimes now, which I think is a sign of not enough refrigerant. When I park on my daughters driveway, which is at about a 30 degree uphill, it seems to suddenly do some cooling. I don't know if I have a leak or something else is going on. I know very little about automotive AC systems, but I would assume it has some sort of pressure relief valve (most high pressure systems do); maybe it opened prematurely?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts