Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the Traverse is a beast to parallel park on a hill...whether the car is facing uphill or downhill, and when trying to get out of the parking spot. I have to really step on the gas pedal to either move it forward or backwards, which it makes it hard to control sometimes in tight parking spots.

Any suggestions, besides not parking on a hill? :)

My previous car was an Altima, and we never had this problem with it. Is it because the Traverse lacks that 'hill assist'?

·
Registered
551 Posts
merlin said:
Any suggestions, besides not parking on a hill? :)
****.... I'm out. Anyone else :happy:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
yeah- the reverse gear on the Lambdas-- well -- requires quite of bit gas-- to get it going- you know step on the gas pedal a little more-- more -more-- for it to do what its supp to do.

In forward gear not so much--- but you do have to watch out for the rolling back as you already know....
But the only suggestion I may have--- is to set the parking brake--- and then try your maneuvers-- let the engine and you stepping in the gas-- overcome the parking brake-- at least this way it wont roll back as much...

this would be easier-- if it had a parking brake on the center console-- where you can pull up in the handle and loosen it as you go...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The gear ratio, for reverse, does not allow the vehicle to be backed UP an incline with much success.

The "loose" torque converter allows the vehicle to roll.... as with a standard shift.

These are 2 items that need more attention to make the car less accident prone from bumping and grinding into other vehicles.

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys...can't imagine parking the Traverse in places like San Francisco!

for rbarrios parking brake suggestion, wouldn't that ruin the parking brake eventually?

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I dont know... may lead to premature wear over time... but its not like you set the brake and drive 10 miles......

But whats better... a replaceable brake item.... or a bumper- bumper and paint- bumper and reverse sensors- bumper and turn signals on your car-- or a strangers car bumper--- like a BMW- Mercedes- Acura.... etc...

Id use the parking brake

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I use my parking brake each and every time, no matter what the situation. Parking brake will "wear out" if the vehicle is driven with the brake applied .... other than that, it will not wear out. My recommendation, use the parking brake.

Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: I agree the only way the parking break wears out is if you leave it on and drive away or it just stick on and don’t release either way I am sure you would notice the loss of power when driving.

8) Steve

·
Registered
324 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
The gear ratio, for reverse, does not allow the vehicle to be backed UP an incline with much success.

The "loose" torque converter allows the vehicle to roll.... as with a standard shift.

These are 2 items that need more attention to make the car less accident prone from bumping and grinding into other vehicles.

Bob
I'd like to see throttle tip in a bit less abrupt, too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the accelerator to run the RPM's up around 2200 so that the converter engages. Then, use the normal brakes to vary speed. In other words, stomp on the normal brakes, then run the RPM's up until the engine is in a nice powerband. Ease off the brake to increase speed, but maintain the RPM on the gas.

The parking brake idea is a good one, but my experience has been that the parking brake engagement isn't very smooth. The total travel might be 8 inches, but the point where it "grabs" is about one inch.

Plus, we are all familiar with our normal brakes as far as regulating speed. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is just a simpler version of "heel-toe" performance driving.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
When you engage the parking brake first, before putting the vehicle in park, you have no movement.

When yoy are going to move ....put the selector in drive or reverse, touch the accelerator, release the parking brake. No unexpected movements.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's odd that everyone agrees this is an issue. At my office, my assigned spot is on an incline and I always back in (makes for a quicke getaway) using the lights and beepers of the backup sensor to keep me from contacting the wrought iron fence.

I'm not sure if I do in this instance, but I automatically, subconsciously two foot an automatic transmission vehicle whenever the need arises. It takes practice, but I learned it years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts