Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to a 2021 Redline from a 2019 RS. I am encountering what I think is an issue as this never occurred in my 2019 RS.

My parking break sets itself. Randomly. Did it twice today on two different, flat parking lots. It happens a couple times a week normally. Many times I don't even know it has set itself until I put it in drive and step on the gas. Once again, my 2019 NEVER did this.

I have searched for a bulletin regarding this but not having any luck. Many shift to park issues but none of just the brake randomly setting.

Anyone else have this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. New member here. Just registered. Looked at other comments re: parking brake setting itself, on other gm forums, and apparently this is not that unusual. One poster claimed parking brake came on several times while vehicle was in motion, and others have found that the parking brake will set itself. One source said it set a trouble code in the computer which was a bad ABS sensor. Dealer may have insight or a TSB for this(?). GM pickup and suv listed as having this happen.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Electric parking brake (remember when it was an "emergency brake?") is crazy.

It's one more example of:

"It’s not always right to retain an old technology just because it works, but by the same token, it’s not always right to adopt a new one simply because it exists."

Frederic D. Schwarz
OR

"Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also just got 2021 for my wife and when letting the car warm up with keys in it she said the horn would honk quick when getting out of it a couple different times and would make a "noise". When she got in to go it would says parking brake disengaged but she never put it on......

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also just got 2021 for my wife and when letting the car warm up with keys in it she said the horn would honk quick when getting out of it a couple different times
That's a reminder honk that the keys are in the car still, so you don't lock or leave them in there.
You can turn it off in the settings though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We just got a 2021 that’s randomly setting the parking brake on its own as well. I’ve only noticed it do it when the vehicle is off or remotely started, never fully running. Haven’t nailed down anything definitive that causes it, but it seems to happen after some combination of locking or unlocking and opening or closing a passenger side door. May be coincidental.

We had a 2020 for a year that never had this occur.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We just got a 2021 that’s randomly setting the parking brake on its own as well. I’ve only noticed it do it when the vehicle is off or remotely started, never fully running. Haven’t nailed down anything definitive that causes it, but it seems to happen after some combination of locking or unlocking and opening or closing a passenger side door. May be coincidental.

We had a 2020 for a year that never had this occur.
Yes! I have also noticed it likes to set itself when I lock/unlock/pop hatch. So odd!

I have recently started setting it myself just to see if it helps to prevent the random setting. Especially being the dealership told me its normal for it to set itself periodically due to lack of use. Yeah, that don't help.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
When all else fails, READ the Owners Manual. Page 196 in the 2020 manual:

The vehicle may automatically apply
the EPB in some situations when
the vehicle is not moving. This is
normal, and is done to periodically
check the correct operation of the
EPB system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When all else fails, READ the Owners Manual. Page 196 in the 2020 manual:

The vehicle may automatically apply
the EPB in some situations when
the vehicle is not moving. This is
normal, and is done to periodically
check the correct operation of the
EPB system.

Seriously? You don't think I have read the manual? Periodically is NOT several times a day! Periodically is from time to time; occasionally. Go try to be ugly somewhere else, and don't forget your ego on the way out.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Seriously? You don't think I have read the manual? Periodically is NOT several times a day! Periodically is from time to time; occasionally. Go try to be ugly somewhere else, and don't forget your ego on the way out.
No, I don't think you read the manual. 99+% of people never read the manual. I don't know how many times people ask questions here that are answered in the manual, if they'd only read it - but hey, it's easier to ask us - right? You know - you COULD have said you'd read it, but that it's happening more than you think it should. BUT - you didn't.

Sounds like I bruised YOUR ego - sorry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I don't think you read the manual. 99+% of people never read the manual. I don't know how many times people ask questions here that are answered in the manual, if they'd only read it - but hey, it's easier to ask us - right? You know - you COULD have said you'd read it, but that it's happening more than you think it should. BUT - you didn't.

Sounds like I bruised YOUR ego - sorry.
Do you want to know what I ate for breakfast, too? I guess I fall in that 1% that reads their manual! Nice to know the statistics.

I shared enough pertinent details to justify putting the question out there. Some people do their homework prior to posting. When I couldn't find any other information, I came to this forum. Which is what a "forum" is for.

Take your demeaning comments and "advice" elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I think you've got pretty thin skin (not a good thing on social media). Maybe if you were on this forum longer than 2 months, and saw people asking every month, month after month, why their voltmeter is bouncing around, you'd have a different view. Especially when some of them respond that "well, it's easier to ask you guys than to read my owner's manual."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you've got pretty thin skin (not a good thing on social media). Maybe if you were on this forum longer than 2 months, and saw people asking every month, month after month, why their voltmeter is bouncing around, you'd have a different view. Especially when some of them respond that "well, it's easier to ask you guys than to read my owner's manual."
But yet here you are comparing me to others? You cant assume everyone on a forum is too lazy to do research or read the owners manual. The amount of time I have been on a forum does not demonstrate who I am or my level of determination in seeking advise/answers from others. Shesh. If you can't handle a forum and people asking questions regardless of their reasons, maybe you should not visit or better yet, keep scrolling. Now to the next thread you shall go!

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
When 99% don't read their owners manual, I assume you don't. My apologies - for the 2nd time - I guess the 1st time wasn't good enough.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
622 Posts
I'll second greentraverse. 99% never read the manual. Most ''newbies'' fly in for a quick answer and fly away so ''toughen'' up son. Being on several vehicle groups I see it all the time.
We like to help folks, we also like to learn and are open to that BUT our, or at least MY decades of experience, are privy to the deserving not whiney keyboard complainers or BS artist's.
Many will research and post diagrams and part numbers spending their valuable time doing that to freely help others.
When I first joined this group I had to prove the worth of my knowledge to be considered knowledgeable and skilled with a wrench as I did in the other groups I contribute to .
So son I suggest you sit down, shut up and learn. You are not special no matter what Mamma told you.
Guilty until proven innocent.
Rant off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
And you felt the need to bash someone whom you thought were like so many others, not reading their manual. Seems to me you both get your kicks on forums by trying to belittle folks and make assumptions. Why even bother to comment if not providing useful information? Yes, we all know SOME people don't read their manuals. That is obvious. Stop beating a dead horse. There is no point in continuing to reiterate that people don't read their manuals. We have already determined that is NOT the case on this post. So what exactly are you trying to get me to "learn"?!

Bringing up someone's mother, getting personal on a forum only shows what type of trash one can be. Maybe that is what I have "learned " from you. Need to check that maturity level.

Maybe find another hobby, son!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also just got 2021 for my wife and when letting the car warm up with keys in it she said the horn would honk quick when getting out of it a couple different times and would make a "noise". When she got in to go it would says parking brake disengaged but she never put it on......
Is it like a powering down noise? I’ve had my 2021 Traverse since last Thursday morning, and this is the second time it’s made like a powering down kind of noise and my PARK is applied. I will also say, car is not running and is parked on a flat surface (once driveway, once in the garage) - no hill assist involved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whether you read the manual or not
HORRIBLE DESIGN
My wife goes home from work if you parked so gone and didn't realize it. The only warning they give you is the small red Park icon which was hidden behind the steering wheel from her vision. When you turn off the car sales and whistles go off to remind you to check your back seat for kids though. I finally took the opportunity to return to a Chevy this is what I get

·
Registered
2020 High Country
622 Posts
Rear seat reminder is turned off in mine, easy to do.
Parking brake will release when you step on the gas after putting it into gear.

Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 20 of 20 Posts