Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=09V153000&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=rss

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / TRAVERSE 2009

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 06, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V153000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: PARKING BRAKE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 15393
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 15,393 MY 2009 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 135, "PASSENGER CAR BRAKE SYSTEMS." THESE VEHICLES MAY HAVE A PARK BRAKE CABLE LINK (CONNECTOR) THAT IS NOT TO SPECIFICATION. THIS CONNECTOR MAY FRACTURE WHEN THE PARK BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED.
Consequence:
IF THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER IS IN THE PARK POSITION, THERE WILL BE NO UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT. HOWEVER, IF THE KEYS ARE LEFT IN THE IGNITION, THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER IS IN ANY POSITION OTHER THAN PARK, AND THE VEHICLE IS PARKED ON A SUFFICIENT SLOPE, IT COULD RESULT IN UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT. THIS COULD RESULT IN A CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
Remedy:
DEALERS ARE TO REPLACE THE PARK BRAKE CABLE LINK (CONNECTOR) FREE OF CHARGE. GM ANTICIPATES THAT THE DEALER BULLETIN WILL BE SENT MAY 5, 2009 AND OWNER LETTERS WILL BE MAILED IN JUNE 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, OR AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 09045. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Weird, the other Lambdas are not affected? Doesn't make sense, just the Traverse is mentioned. Wow, so the parking brake could fail, AND the other recall about the transmission not staying in park. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. I really need to get mine (bought in Nov) to dealer now. It hasn't been in for the tranny issue (or anything else), and now with this new issue, I don't want to take the chance it could roll just sitting there. I'm sure it's a very slight chance both things could fail at the same time, but stranger things have happened.

While it's in, I guess I'll have it reprogrammed too. In another thread here, I see mention of service bulletin #09-06-04-019 aimed at fixing:
- Hesitation on light throttle tip-in or during launch from a standing start [which we have]
- Hesitation during slow speed right turns
- Jerky or busy shifts on rolling hills at highway speeds with cruise on
- Harsh or delayed shifts around 64 km/h (40 mph)
- Delayed shifts after releasing accelerator [which we have]
- Tachometer indicator bouncing during deceleration or coastdown

Anyone else have this programming done? If so, any noticeable difference?

·
Registered
69 Posts
clbhk said:
Yep. I really need to get mine (bought in Nov) to dealer now. It hasn't been in for the tranny issue (or anything else), and now with this new issue, I don't want to take the chance it could roll just sitting there. I'm sure it's a very slight chance both things could fail at the same time, but stranger things have happened.

While it's in, I guess I'll have it reprogrammed too. In another thread here, I see mention of service bulletin #09-06-04-019 aimed at fixing:
- Hesitation on light throttle tip-in or during launch from a standing start [which we have]
- Jerky or busy shifts on rolling hills at highway speeds with cruise on
- Delayed shifts after releasing accelerator [which we have]

Anyone else have this programming done? If so, any noticeable difference?
Are all those issues consistent with every unit or hit and miss? I can't really say I encounter any of those as I haven't really paid attention to these faults. I'll be more aware of them now and hope my unit doesn't suffer from them.

I bought my Traverse just this past weekend, should I take it in for the recalls mentioned thus far?

·
Registered
994 Posts
clbhk said:

IMy Traverse is very recent i.e. build date of April 6/09 yet I experience the symptoms listed above...how can this be?:eek:. Maybe this is an obvious q but is the date of this TSB shown in the TSB #s. So what is the date?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had the update done and noticed a big diff....

1) engine doesnt struggle like it did....felt like the traverse was just too heavy for that engine. Does good now.
2) Couldn't it a passing gear.....fixed
3) Engine would just shut off when making a turn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stumpk said:
I had the update done and noticed a big diff....

1) engine doesnt struggle like it did....felt like the traverse was just too heavy for that engine. Does good now.
2) Couldn't it a passing gear.....fixed
3) Engine would just shut off when making a turn.
Good to know. Thankfully we've never experienced #3. Any change to the gas mileage after the update?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
copperbeech said:
I have had my Traverse for almost 2 weeks. It has a build date of April 6/09 and I experience the symptoms listed above...somewhat disconcerting. But I think my build date is too recent to be included in this TSB? Do I have this right?
I'm thinking your dealer will have to answer this question. Bring the service bulletin # and ask them about it.

admin's latest sales chart shows 35,801 Traverses sold total, and the parking brake recall says there are 15,393 affected units. So not all Traverses, and it looks like none of the other Lambdas, are affected. Maybe a bad batch of parts in a specific assembly location????

·
Registered
994 Posts
clbhk said:
I'm thinking your dealer will have to answer this question. Bring the service bulletin # and ask them about it.
Thanks for the reply. Although doing a search on traverseforum.com shows this bulletin # posted in March....and my build is April.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
copperbeech said:
Thanks for the reply. Although doing a search on traverseforum.com shows this bulletin # posted in March....and my build is April.
It might have been built in April, but using parts from when? Can't hurt to ask, right? Then you'll know for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts