Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let others know- of potential times to get this message.

This has happened to me several times.
the most obvious-- has been when Ive had something on the hitch- my cargo rack- and or bike rack.
the message will appear.

But- in 2 other instances-- the message has appeared while in D-- and moving. (leading me to believe the sensors are sending out their signal in intermittent burst- or continuoulsy).

it happened again today.
While in rush hour traffic this morning- SEMI on the right- and a large van on left. my lane moved and I began to pass in between these vehicles at about 8 MPH...
My DIC flashed for a few seconds-- that the Park Assists was off- the message then went away.
Once I was passed the semi- I scrolled thru the DIC- and saw my Park Assist was ON.

In the past- I also received this message- when I was in the superfast CARPOOL lane- doing about 3 MPH.
Very close to the center median divider--- the message flashed on. then went away.

I dont think its a malfunction- I just think its actually sensing that something is very close...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I dont think its a malfunction- I just think its actually sensing that something is very close...

Unless your vehicle was in REVERSE, it is a malfunction! The sensors should only be on when in reverse and traveling under a certain speed, just like the rear view camera. I know I have backed into a spot and than moved forward, and the camera stayed on for a period of about 10 seconds, but went off once I picked up speed.

Some GM vehicles (2010 Cadillac SRX for one) have sensors in the front bumper also, so if you are pulling forward under a certain speed and encounter an obstacle, they will sound.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I would say that it is a malfunction. An quote from the 2010 Owner's Manual states:

Ultrasonic Parking Assist
For vehicles with the Ultrasonic
Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system,
it operates at speeds less than
8 km/h (5 mph), and assists the
driver with parking and avoiding
objects while in R (Reverse). [/color] The
sensors on the rear bumper are
used to detect the distance to an
object up to 2.5 m (8 ft) behind the
vehicle, and at least 25.4 cm (10 in)
off the ground.

I have never had this happen on our Traverse. I keep a pretty good eye on the DIC, as I like to watch the Fuel Economy bar graph.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
By the way, when I back out of my driveway, I have to go beside my house and a fence, and sometimes it will pick up on either the house or the fence. The first couple of times it did it, I had to go out and check to see if there was anything behind me. So yes, it does pick up objects adjacent to the vehicle, but it shouldn't do it in the DRIVE (D). That is a malfunction. Problem is, you won't be able to prove it to the service advisor, and you will get a "Could not duplicate problem".

·
Registered
104 Posts
dont you have to press a button to turn it off?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What im going to do- one of these days- im going to test out a few scenarios- placing something to the side of it- and being in Drive.
As theres always been something very close to the sides.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm, thinking about it- I had my cargo rack on the hitch -- right before the 1st time this happened...

and the most recent case- I had my bike rack on the hitch. (It senses they are back there--- and turns off the system- as I get the message)...

So I wonder if somehow- this was some sort of system reset?

Ill have to pay attention to when I use my rack again...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a little utility trailer I use for hauling home improvement stuff. I get the Parking Assist message when backing with my trailer on.

As for the warning beep for adjacent objects, I back out of my driveway between two oak trees about 1 foot off either side. It picks them up every time. I always check the rear view camera to make sure there isn't something more than the trees back there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been getting a SERVICE PARK ASSIST message on the DIC. I'll need the dealer to look at this.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Last winter when the back of ours would get really dirty the sensors would shut off since (I guess) the dirt was enough to render the sensors to a less than ideal capability.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning- I got the SERVICE PARK ASSIST message on my DIC.
I was once again in the Carpool lane-doing about 2 MPH. Essentially stopped. and right next to the center divider.
I went to the DIC and tried to toggle it on/off--- but the checkmark was on off and would not allow me to select on.
It was raining a little.
Once I got to a parking lot. I turned off car- and went to the back bumper. The bumper was covered in dust/dirt that the little rain had deposited there.
I wet my finger with a little water- and wiped the sensors a bit.
Got back in the vehicle- turned on car- and I looked at the DIC- PARK ASSIST- ON.
I drove in reverse- towards a wall- and it started beeping.
Did wiping them clean make them work again? Or Power Cycling the car make them work?
I dont know.
I logged the message in my little Log book for future reference.
Too many variables here- rain, dirt on sensors, next to center divider.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About 1000 miles after my 1st message- the Service park assist message came up again.
Once again it was raining- dirt on sensors- and there was a car behind me.
Upon restart and shifting into Park- sensors worked again.

I found this... (I do have UD7- Ultrasonic Park Assist).

Intermittent Service Park Assist Message
By Blog Post on April 1, 2010 7:58 PM

An intermittent Service Park Assist Message may display on the DIC of some of the following models equipped with RPO UD7 or UD5: 2010 SRX, CTS Wagon, Escalade models, Avalanche, Camaro, Equinox, Silverado, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Enclave, Acadia, Sierra, Terrain, and Yukon models.

There may be one or more of the following DTCs stored in history: B0954 01, B0955 01, B0956 01, B0957 01, B0958 01, B0959 01, B0960 01, and/or B0961 01.

If, after normal diagnostics, the cause of the condition is not found, reprogram the Park Assist Control Module with an updated calibration currently available in TIS2WEB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts