Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who got talked into having this done at the dealer?

I flat out refused because 700.00 for something I can do myself for 20.00 was rediculous....

I spoke with the area's PPG (auto paint mfg.) rep and he said it's not needed with todays paints. I also confirmed this with 2 local auto paint supply stores. Both told me to use a high quality canuba wax 2 times a year and that's it! By quality, they said products like Meguiars, Mothers, Pinnacle or Wolfgang and to stay away from products like Nu Finish.

Today I used a claybar to clean all the crud and stains from the clearcoat, right now I'm applying Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. Once cured it'll get a nice coat of carnuba :thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just finished with the Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant, this stuff is slick!!! And the shine is better than when I took delivery. Tomorrow it'll sit out in the sun all day to cure, then get nice coat of carnuba ;D

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
lots of elbow grease....

But thats another reason I stay away from dark colors.

The color I always choose is gold/pewter.
It seems to hide stuff the best.
The trailblazer I had- put 150,000 miles- and I think I waxed the hood- 2 times--- and only the hood. Just to see how water beaded off...
But I simply kept it clean. I still have the vehicle- but its not my daily driver anymore. But if I would have sold it- I doubt anyone would have run their hands on the paint and said-- its not smooth...
Ill wash my cars and keep them clean-- but im not big on waxing. As it is- I dont have enough time.
If I see certain trouble spots in the Traverse- where dust builds up or something- I may wax that area... but no waxing for me.
I may wax my 1970 Monte Carlo.... but even that one hasnt been waxed in about 5 yrs...
I can only imagine how much work the blacks and blues are....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this done at the dealer. It got packaged in with the leather/carpet protection stuff. Offhand can't think what I paid for it without pulling out the paperwork. Other than giving it a shine, it made the car smell bad something fierce for a good week or so. Didn't really notice much else different. Only difference I could think of rather than doing it yourself is that it included some kind of rust and chipping policy for so many years. That could come in handy after a few seasons, but time will tell.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Im thinking that this may be more popular in the states where roads are salted?

Do they offer this with undercoating/paint protector/ fabric protector?

The past 5 cars weve bought in the last 8 years- none of these items were offered to us.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was only paint sealant to protect it from acid rain, bird crap stains, tree sap, ect... nothing to do with rust prevention or chips

1 - 6 of 6 Posts