Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in western Pa and, today, I handwashed my Traverse for the first time this year. I noticed that the tailgate paint and much of the sides are grtty, like sandpaper. I've never seen this before. I also washed my 2004 Pontiac today and it is nice and smooth. Is anyone having similar problems? And/Or does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
collar71 said:
I live in western Pa and, today, I handwashed my Traverse for the first time this year. I noticed that the tailgate paint and much of the sides are grtty, like sandpaper. I've never seen this before. I also washed my 2004 Pontiac today and it is nice and smooth. Is anyone having similar problems? And/Or does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.
Is it brand new? Or maybe a year old. It probably isn't oxidation. Try going over it with a wax. If it still feels the same, try using a polishing compound.

And if it just feels like dirt, just try a clay bar. Then do the stuff above.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) Did you buy it new? If so this is a warrantee item depending on the milage If not then who knows it may have been damaged and repainted.

8) Steve

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have not heard of them being call clay coat kits. We call it claybar but it works great and I have used it to remove many types of dirt and stains. Last Truck was white so claybar was a must.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, i had a brand new, silver silverado that came from the dealer with the gritty surface. They took it back in an buffed it out,, did nothing. I purchased the clay "bar", did the entire vehicle in about 45 minutes, including glass and it took everything off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) here is a site that might help http://www.meguiars.com/video/ Meguiars site is very Informative, this is true if the paint is not damaged you can simply take a clay bar kit that is the best way to get it or you can just buy the clay bar and some detailer spray to use as you clay bar the paint. You can usually find Mothers or Meguiars at Pepboys heck I have even seen it at Walmart.

8) Steve

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sounds like you might have some winter road chemical damage on your paint. Can you see any small rust-colored spots where these rough areas are? If so, your DOT probably uses Magnesium-Chloride on the roads like we do in Colorado. I've seen these spots on our paint within the first two weeks we owned ours. The paint color will have to be anything but black, blue, or dark red to easily see this.

You know, I don't think the dealership even waxed our Traverse prior to giving it to us. And I've found numerous fish-eyes and lint in the paint of ours, but I haven't pointed it out to anyone yet. But if my paint felt as rough as you say yours is, I'd use the clay bar on a couple of areas to see if the problem was (mostly) corrected. Personally, I think you're better off doing it yourself if the clay bar remedies the issue. That way you know it's done right. If the clay bar doesn't take care of the whole problem I have some other suggestions that will help and shouldn't damage the paint.

Clay bar can be a paint saver, but make sure you use a good polish/sealer and then a good wax. Otherwise you leave the paint completely unprotected. I use Meguiar's products exclusively. I'll use their clay bar, Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze (to seal the paint), then either the Gold Class Wax or #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (better than the Gold Class in my opinion) with my random-orbital buffer. To do the entire Traverse (clay/polish/wax) should take about 6 hours if the car is clean and totally dry. Use a good car wash liquid/shampoo since dishwashing liquid strips the wax from the paint. Use good quality drying towels and microfiber towels for waxing/detailing, too. Crappy old bath towels do nothing for a vehicle's paint.

Want a short-cut? Wash the car with one bucket and have another clean soap bucket there, too. Once the car is clean and rinsed (but not dry yet), use the secondary bucket to use along with the clay bar. DP makes a good rinseless wash you could use for the secondary bucket and you don't have to rinse the car, just wipe it dry. EDIT: Use this method and you won't have to use copious amounts of QD (quick detailer) spray with the clay bar.

Meguiar's isn't your only option. Mother's makes good stuff, too. Go to Autogeek.com and you'll find detailing stuff (like DP) you didn't even know existed and people who are REALLY anal about their cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANKS FOR THE VERY GOOD INFO. YES I BOUGHT THIS TRAVERSE NEW IN JUNE 2009. I'LL TRY THE CLAY BAR. THANKS AGAIN.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts