Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I baby my 2019 Traverse. Was nice out so was going to wax it and found this mark. Used bug/tar remover, scratch/swirl removed and polish compound and no luck.

Is this a paint flaw? Almost looks like paint blistering.
(difficult to take a pic - my Traverse is dark brown)

IMG_1742.jpg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Can you take a picture a bit more far away so we can see part of the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you take a picture a bit more far away so we can see part of the car.
Thanks for the response. Will do but this is in the middle of the hood. We have light rain today. But look the old wax is beading the rain well still.

In the second photo the mark is about in the middle - between the "V" of the tree branches. The mark is about 3/4" in diameter. What bothers me is you can see a white speck that might be primer and then crazing around that. Are there issues with paint or is this just me?

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.JPG

IMG_1747.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
@mbg

That does seem to me to be a defect in the paint. Have you seen any other examples of this on other parts of the body? The only other possibility I can think of is that some kind of contaminant had broken down the paint in that one spot (however knowing you take great care of your Traverse that seems unlikely). I would take this up with the dealer as a defect.

FWIW - Our 2019 is Cajun Red.
I have been over it many times for 2 applications of spray-on ceramic coatings (including preparations once with a buffer to remove swirls, and twice with a clay-bar), and have not seen anything like that.
However; I have found several car door nicks that reveal a white primer underneath.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Definitely some defect in the preparation when the primer was applied. They will have to repaint your hood complete. After they do it check if there are no dust particles on the newly painted job.
Good luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely some defect in the preparation when the primer was applied. They will have to repaint your hood complete. After they do it check if there are no dust particles on the newly painted job.
Good luck.
I checked the rest of the vehicle out including the roof and no other marks. My Traverse is kept in most of the time. I agree - need to take it into the dealer.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it to the dealer and their paint “expert” was on site. He looked it over and said it is failing from the outside so not covered by warranty. Approx $400 to sand and paint the hood.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's too bad.
I would argue; seems like there may have been a contaminant that landed on the primer before the tint coat went on ....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's too bad.
I would argue; seems like there may have been a contaminant that landed on the primer before the tint coat went on ....
I caught the paint expert - body shop guy in the parking lot before leaving. He did say looks like failure is from top of surface. He mentioned on dark painted cars this happens often. I told him my car is not outside much and I wax it with carnauba paste wax regularly and he said this damage can happen even with wax. He added it can happen in a matter of hours.

I googled it and indeed my damage looks like etching from bird droppings but I just turned 64 and have never seen this type of damage on the 15+ vehicles I have owned.

I'm at a loss for my next step (can you feel the tears running down my cheeks):
  1. Take it to a higher level at Chevy/GM (how would I do this?).
  2. Leave it alone and see how it progresses.
  3. Try to spot repair. I saw a few videos where they wet sand with 3500 then polish. My concern is I don't want to make it worse.
  4. Have it repainted. Hate to do this since they could screw this up too.
Mike

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Take it to a higher level. The damage is not from the birds droppings . Too widespread for this problem. I agree with crused2 on this issue.call the zone office to have a second opinion from somebody else or an expert body shop 3rd opinion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well went to a higher level - Senior Advisor. I told my story and she said "don't worry we will get you taken care of." Well after talking to the service department that looked at my car she called and said I need to take it to another dealer for a second opinion and if they also conclude it's from bird droppings I'm SOL. That's taking car of me???? I have an appointment tomorrow morning. Today while washing my car the lighting was just right to get a picture of the area around the really bad spot. I can count at lease another 5 areas that are showing signs of something going on. Can a bird poop 5 times in that small area???

IMG_1770.jpg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I can see the other areas. Looks to me that the clearcoat is the culprit. Impossible that this was caused by the birds. If it would be me I would take the Traverse to a reputable paint shop to have their opinion. The second garage will probably go along with the first one to tell you that it is out of their hands.

·
Registered
259 Posts
While I agree that the dealerships are attempting to deny coverage, I have had some really horrible etching caused by bird poo. I'm not saying that is the case here--can't judge without seeing it personally--just saying it is within the realm of possibilities. I have found that some birds--don't know which species or if it's a particular food they are eating--can etch thru the clear coat in just a matter of hours. I have had wife bring car home from work with fresh/wet bird poo on it, and cleaning it immediately isn't quick enough to avoid etching. Clay bar, polishing compound, etc doesn't correct it. I have experienced it on every GM car I've owned since 2006 except the '14 Malibu that had a tri-coat pearl paint. I attribute it to the water-based paints that in turn have allowed thinner paint applications. I'm with Capucine: suggest taking it to a reputable paint shop and get their professional opinion; have them contact the dealership, if possible, to substantiate your position.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I agree that the dealerships are attempting to deny coverage, I have had some really horrible etching caused by bird poo. I'm not saying that is the case here--can't judge without seeing it personally--just saying it is within the realm of possibilities. I have found that some birds--don't know which species or if it's a particular food they are eating--can etch thru the clear coat in just a matter of hours. I have had wife bring car home from work with fresh/wet bird poo on it, and cleaning it immediately isn't quick enough to avoid etching. Clay bar, polishing compound, etc doesn't correct it. I have experienced it on every GM car I've owned since 2006 except the '14 Malibu that had a tri-coat pearl paint. I attribute it to the water-based paints that in turn have allowed thinner paint applications. I'm with Capucine: suggest taking it to a reputable paint shop and get their professional opinion; have them contact the dealership, if possible, to substantiate your position.
Strange our different experiences. I've lived at the same residence for 30+ years. During that time we have had probably 15 different cars between my wife, kids and myself. Seldom do my wife or I park outside. One of the kids cars many times is parked in front of the house under a tree. Have not had even a single issue with bird etching on a vehicle. If the paint they used on my new Traverse can't take a bird shot without damaging (which I doubt is what happened since I wash and take care of the car) the paint I consider it a design flaw.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree that it is a manufacturing issue--just the same as the peeling clear coat and base paint from the early/mid 90s. The quality of the paint--since EPA regulations forced a shift to water-based versus solvent based paints--has deteriorated and allowed climatic and environmental conditions to create issues. These have certainly been exacerbated by the continuing drive to reduce manufacturing costs and increase profits. Your experience and mine may differ due to combination of these issues; like you, my vehicles are always garaged except when at work--but Texas heat and sunlight can accelerate reactive conditions, which is what bird poo does. Do some "googling" ref bird droppings and paint etching; you'll find that it is a very common problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
mbg,

Sorry to hear this is happening. My past experience is similar to yours;
With many different GM cars over the years (some garaged/some not) I have never experienced "caustic birdpoop" damaging my paint. Not saying it isn't possible however.....

I agree with others here; get another opinion form a NON-GM autobody shop.

Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just to mention in the dealers lots where the cars are sitting for months unsold if the Birds poo would be an issues there would be a lots of damaged paints. My 2017 when new has been sitting one full month behind the dealer yard because I wanted to get the fall discount of 20%. I gave a deposit and was visiting my new car once and a while and yes there was some stains of birds poo on the paint. When it was time to pick up the car at the end of the month the paint was in perfect condition. No stains at all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just to mention in the dealers lots where the cars are sitting for months unsold if the Birds poo would be an issues there would be a lots of damaged paints. My 2017 when new has been sitting one full month behind the dealer yard because I wanted to get the fall discount of 20%. I gave a deposit and was visiting my new car once and a while and yes there was some stains of birds poo on the paint. When it was time to pick up the car at the end of the month the paint was in perfect condition. No stains at all.
Sounds like they have a great detailer. Wonder what they use; I'd like to get some of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue when i purchase my new 1988 Delta 88, it was black. The day i picked it up it was raining and I didn't see the damage. The when i noticed the wax was in all the cracks i was so pissed. Before they detailed the car it was not visible. once the wa was applied it enhanced to clear view. The outcome was when it was on the car carrier from GM the vehicle above it must have leak some sort of fluid onto my car. GM paid for me to have my entire car repainted and not just the trunk, roof and hood. The damage was in a straight line over the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts