Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2018 Traverse suffered this code just the other day. We have 106,000 on her and has driven great until this. Oil changes on spot with Dexos oil every time at the dealer and we just changed the plugs with a GDI fuel system cleaning this past summer. Anyone know what I could be looking at?

· Registered
12,208 Posts
Cold weather.
And Im guessing maybe 5 to 8,000 miles since the cleaning....
Id lean towards a sticky valve/carbon deposit.
Pour in a bottle of techron concentrate plus and fill up the tank.
Dont refuel untik most of that tank is gone.

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Could be a defective plug, bad coil, coil connector was not fully seated into coil when plugs were changed. Lots of possibilities.

Reactions: Horsehaulin

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No rodent damage, but it’s gone away too. I’ll try some Techron, it’s my favorite fuel additive. I was hoping I wasn’t having a timing chain going, got a misfire code on my HHR a few years back and the engine smoked itself two days later…

· Registered
20 Posts
Cold weather.
And Im guessing maybe 5 to 8,000 miles since the cleaning....
Id lean towards a sticky valve/carbon deposit.
Pour in a bottle of techron concentrate plus and fill up the tank.
Dont refuel untik most of that tank is gone.
I'm not against fuel additives at all, run them myself.
But if it is a sticky valve/carbon, the additives won't do anything for that on a DI engine.
I would try something like the STP intake valve cleaner. It's a easy one man job.

I would look at that spark plug and also swap that coil with one next to it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Since it's gone away I would suspect water in the injector as a possibility and it's passed through. A bottle of Heat or other Isopropanol water remover would be prudent and will not hurt in addition to Techron. Use the same gas station all the time or any random one? Just some food for thought.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
If that sealing surface has a little leak. Enough techron will get to it to help seal and bring compression back up and misfires to go away.
Theres been a few members whom this worked for.. and compression returned.
Its worth a try.

· Registered
10 Posts
Our 2018 Traverse suffered this code just the other day. We have 106,000 on her and has driven great until this. Oil changes on spot with Dexos oil every time at the dealer and we just changed the plugs with a GDI fuel system cleaning this past summer. Anyone know what I could be looking at?
It could be a bad power pack / coil.

· Registered
2019 Traverse 1LT
28 Posts
What was your weather like that day? Was it really damp or raining / snowing? This past week I had TWO Honda Accords with the exact same problem, within a few hours of each other. One my Sister in Law and one my Grandaughter. Both V-6 and both a bad coil. Both ran great in the morning. The weather changed and it was very damp. Either one **** of a coincidence or the damp weather affected the bad coils. Since both cars have over 100K on them (120k and 173k respectively) and have the original ignition systems in them (coils), this only helps to add to the problem. The epoxy tends to crack over time. Only a barely visible hairline crack, but moisture gets in and the coils won't fire the plug. I had the same wthing with my Tahoe last year. At about 185k miles two just went in the winter. No advanced symptoms. If it does it again, try swapping one coil with another and see if the problem moves. If if does, you most likely have a bad coil. If it doesn't, as mentioned above, look at the injector and possibly a valve not sealing. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts