Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2009 Chevy traverse used. The timing chains were changed at approximately 68,000 km. It now has 136,000 and is throwing the P0017 code off and in for the past 3-4 months. No other codes or trouble. Anyone had to have another set of timing chains put in after the first being replaced?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
68,000 km = 42,253 miles
136,000 km= 84,506 miles

1st thing that comes to mind is--- oil change intervals and oil level.
We dont know if 'updated' part # chains were used...

But doing long oil change intervals-- WITHOUT checking oil level in that period--- can lead to accelerated oil wear.
What happens is your engine is using oil.
Youre supposed to have 5.5 qts-- but soon youre down to maybe 2-3 qts. Oil begins to degrade. And you get accelerated wear on the chain.
also- the 2009s had smaller oiling 'journals' I think theyre called. Small holes where oil passes.
If theyve become clogged.. then stuff isnt getting lubricated.
What can clog them?
Oil gunk (caused from oil levels dropping and oil getting beat up).
small pieces of metal or sealant plastic possibly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I c
68,000 km = 42,253 miles
136,000 km= 84,506 miles

1st thing that comes to mind is--- oil change intervals and oil level.
We dont know if 'updated' part # chains were used...

But doing long oil change intervals-- WITHOUT checking oil level in that period--- can lead to accelerated oil wear.
What happens is your engine is using oil.
Youre supposed to have 5.5 qts-- but soon youre down to maybe 2-3 qts. Oil begins to degrade. And you get accelerated wear on the chain.
also- the 2009s had smaller oiling 'journals' I think theyre called. Small holes where oil passes.
If theyve become clogged.. then stuff isnt getting lubricated.
What can clog them?
Oil gunk (caused from oil levels dropping and oil getting beat up).
small pieces of metal or sealant plastic possibly.
A mechanic at gm told me he thinks (hasn’t looked at it) it’s the chain getting just warm enough to stretch and throw the code. I can take it on drives for 3 hours and get no code, remote start in the driveway and get the code. I don’t know if updated parts were used and gm says they can’t tell me. I’ve only had it for a year and put just over 5000km on it. I have changed the oil three times already

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
you changed the oil on it 3 times in 3000 miles?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I c

A mechanic at gm told me he thinks (hasn’t looked at it) it’s the chain getting just warm enough to stretch and throw the code. I can take it on drives for 3 hours and get no code, remote start in the driveway and get the code. I don’t know if updated parts were used and gm says they can’t tell me. I’ve only had it for a year and put just over 5000km on it. I have changed the oil three times already
you changed the oil on it 3 times in 3000 miles?
Once when I first bought it, then once halfway through the oil life monitoring system because I had read they weren’t always right and could lead to problems , then the third because of the code being thrown ( went off two days after) then has come on 4/5 times since then

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
You can change the oil every day if you want at this point, but if it hadn't been changed frequently before you bought it, then the chain could very easily be stretched again. Especially if they didn't properly re-program the OLM and/or the previous owner just didn't bother changing it frequently.

I'm guessing you'll have to have the chains replaced again and THEN check and change the oil religiously.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my 2009 Chevy traverse The timing chains were changed at approximately 68,000 km. It now has 136,000 and is throwing the P0017 code off and in for the past 3-4 months.
My 2 cents,
It is not the timing chain per say, but the two solenoids that adjust the timing chain, that is, the solenoids that advance or retard the timing of the valves opening and closing on this VVT engine, (Variable Valve Timing). ....... Let me explain

The intake and exhaust solenoids use engine oil like a hydraulic fluid, to push a cam, which adjusts the timing of when To open and when to close the intake valves and exhaust valves.
When the solenoids are electrically activated, by the car computer, the solenoids changes the flow of engine oil thru them And the pressure of the engine oil rotates the camshafts thus changing when the intake or exhaust valves open and close.
Since the check valve that opens and closes the oil flow in the solenoid, would not seal properly if the tiniest piece of metal got stuck between the ball and the ball seat, The solenoid comes with a couple of "cigar band" filters to filter the engine oil And prevent any contamination from entering the solenoid

However, these cigar band filters have a very small holes of about 100 microns in size,,,, And these cigar band filters will become plugged with "thick oil chunks", the kind of sludgy oil this engine gets because of its poor PCV design...

What is happening for example, is you start the car, the solenoid opens to retard the timing for idle, but the cold oil is not flowing quickly enough through the plugged up screen cloth on the solenoid, thus the computer throws a crankshaft is not in the right position code..p0017. When oil is warmer, then oil flows thru the plugged up cigar band filters, and valve timing is fine.

Also the car might stumble, at say 30 to 40 mph, as the computer electrically fires up solenoid to advances timing, but the response time is not fast enough because oil is not flowing through the plugged filter screens fast enough as the computer expects it to, and the engine "stumbles", even if it does not throw a code.
The engine oil, and subsequent oil pressure,
is SLOW in flowing thru the plugged screen cloth on solenoid
And engine oil pressure is not able to advance engine timing, fast enough..... hence a stumble.
There is a post on called "Traverse Stumbles on light acceleration No Codes"
where a brilliant "testbob" disassembled
Then cleaned the filter screens on the 2 solenoids....
( one solenoid controls the intake valves, the other solenoids controls the exhaust valves)

He actually has 2 separate posts on the same topic, look for them, read his comment and his solution, he fixed his problem. Here is One post
His 2nd post is a detailed summary of his findings.

I would suggest, removing each of these solenoids and clean the cigar band filters on these solenoids...
This video is of solenoids on 2.4, just so you can see the solenoid filter screens and approximate engine location

In my opinion, use 100 percent synthetic oil, dexos approved, And you change your oil before your oil monitor hits 33 percent or 5000 miles, Then these cigar band filter screens will not get plugged up.
As you know, check oil levels at least every 800 miles, this gdi engine will burn oil!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Video of solenoids and screens on 2.4 liter vvt equinox engine, which has similar solenoids

·
Registered
480 Posts
What Threenox suggests is a great idea, it may very well be just a timing advance issue. I had a 2008 Outlook and started using full synthetic oil at my first oil change, I never had a problem with chains, or timing adjustment. I sometimes let the OLM go to zero before I got a chance to change the oil, but usually changed it between 30% and 5% life left. I don't remember actually burning oil, but it did get used in some blow-by in the PCV system. I credit the non timing issues to the great lubrication qualities of synthetic, I had 212,000 miles on it before I sold it and, as far as I know, it is still on the road.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Threenox's explanation is good.
Some people will change oil on hopes that its thick/dirty oil that is clogging those little screens.
Other folks will change the part or take it out to clean the screens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts