Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2010 3.6L with 135k miles, probably close to 2 years ago I got a check engine light. I read the code and miss read as a bad sensor. I have had this on my to do list and it hasn't been a priority as the car has been running ok, apart from turning ofer a couple extra times when starting.

I have been digging into this and it suggests that its a timing chain issue. Whats the best course of action? Replace sensors? Or just leave it alone as it's running ok?

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
I think having left of so long--- one of these days the chains going to fall off or jump teeth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem at 78,000 miles on my 2010 Traverse and had the timing chain issue fixed for around the tune of 2700.00 Now have the same codes again along with steering box issues, ac issues, window switch issues, audio issues. Now hear a knocking of valves and someone who owns a 2010 Traverse says his oil pump was clogged and that the engine was design to burn a quart of oil. Tried to trade and was told the Traverse was worth only around 1500.00. the body and inside is in great condition. Thinking of letting it sit and have the engine totally rebuilt instead of just giving it away. Contacted Chevy complaint on all these issues with no help in solving or fixing the problem. having done a little research and finding the people are having major problems even with newer Chevy Traverses. I have been a chey person for over 40 years and now my loyalty has come to an end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem at 78,000 miles on my 2010 Traverse and had the timing chain issue fixed for around the tune of 2700.00 Now have the same codes again along with steering box issues, ac issues, window switch issues, audio issues. Now hear a knocking of valves and someone who owns a 2010 Traverse says his oil pump was clogged and that the engine was design to burn a quart of oil. Tried to trade and was told the Traverse was worth only around 1500.00. the body and inside is in great condition. Thinking of letting it sit and have the engine totally rebuilt instead of just giving it away. Contacted Chevy complaint on all these issues with no help in solving or fixing the problem. having done a little research and finding the people are having major problems even with newer Chevy Traverses. I have been a chey person for over 40 years and now my loyalty has come to an end.
I'm in the middle of getting the timing chain fixed right now on 2009 Traverse with 86k miles. Car is in pieces at my mechanic at this very moment. Already looking at other cars because I've seen other stories like yours. On top of annoying Stabilitrak that never seems to go away.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
Oil pump being clogged points to USER error.
Been on the Acadia/Traverse/Enclave/Outlook forum for over 10 yrs... and I think thats the 1st time I hear someone say that the pump was clogged.
This tells me the person was going way too long on oil changes which allowed the oil to thicken up. then probably ran some cleaner through the oiling system- which dislodged clumps of coagulated oil.
Surprised the same person didnt say his chain was also gone.
The early generation DI engines will indeed burn oil as they age. Its related to carbon deposits falling off the valves and or the piston- and scratching the cylinder walls over time. This allows some oil to get by the piston rings.
To be safe check oil level often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to have a 2010, great vehicle till the timing chain issue showed up in 2014. Chevy fixed it at no cost to me. Then started having power steering issues.
I sold it in 2015 for a reasonable price.
$1500 seems pretty much the standard they will offer for a car with any known issues, they say that they will just turn it over for auction, I guess they figure you can get at least $1500 for any car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts