Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a 09 1LT last night. All I need now is backseat entertainment for the kids. I’ve been comparing headrest mounted systems vs. the overhead mounted systems. As it stands I think the overhead system will accommodate our passenger needs the best. Specifically I’m looking at Alpine PKG-RSE2. I’m looking for information from others who may have installed similar systems.

My question…when mounting the unit overhead, does the mounting hardware secure to something structural in the roof of the car or is the unit only fastened/supported by the head liner itself? I’ve called around and I've gotten mixed answers. I’ve called 4-5 well known audio/video installers in my area and it appears none of them have specific experience with the Traverse. One guy said, “we always anchor to something structural…or the headliner will sag overtime”. Another said, “we simply fasten through the headliner to a backing bracket and the headliner supports the unit.” This guy did agreed the headliner may sag over time. Others have said, “we have no experience with the Traverse. We’ll anchor to structural member if one is there…if not we install/support from headliner.”

Anybody know if there is a structural support above the headliner to anchor too? Our 1LT does not have the moon roof(s) so there is ample area to pick the best mounting location. If not I may have to opt for the headrest mounted screens. Though at higher purchase cost, higher install cost and less functionality (for us) I would hate to do this.

Thanks for your input...Toby

·
Registered
91 Posts
I disagree w/ the headrest. I got a 11inch jensen JMV111 installed for $550. Dual headrest are well over $1000. I'm not the one sitting back there. My kids will get what they get and like it. I can't justify the double cost for the headrest. However, unless you can get me cost on those Dan?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you have the sunroofs? We are having trouble finding a kit to install in those. When I say the duals are the best bang for the buck that is comparing the single factory overhead to the duals. I know that there are far less expensive options, I personally have the portable versions that go over the back of the seats. I like to take them out unless we are on a road trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
nope...no sunroof. Not sure why they didn't put one in it since it's the LTZ, but I got it for the price w/o it. I didn't have a choice for $28,900.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
danthechevyman said:
Go with the Dual headrest best bang for the buck.
Here is my rational…if I went the dual headrest route I would only consider the Factory Chevy option. This way I actually get replaceable headrests (no cutting), two individual players and screens and the comfort of a factory install. The cost I’ve been quoted was $2K installed. I may still consider this.

The “aftermarket” dual headrest approach doesn’t seem to make much sense me…not to mention I nearly have an anxiety attack thinking of someone cutting into factory headrest. Thus far I’ve quoted a few different packages attempting to come in lower than the $2K factory option. I’ve found a few good packages for around $1400-$1600 (installed) but this is with only with a single DVD player…so kids still watch the same movie. Not to mention, the headrest option is not the most suitable for 3rd row passengers.

On the other hand I can get the Alpine overhead system for $649, $200 for install. I thought this option would best suit all passengers in vehicle. Not to mention the lesser cost, I have less to worry about, i.e. wear & tear of two players and two screens.

Thanks, Toby

·
Registered
185 Posts
FYI: My wife was very disappointed that, with the factory overhead DVD screen down, the view out of the rear window via the mirror is blocked in a big way.
If you are used to that view for whatever reason, the headrests may be the way to go. Our minivan factory dvd screen does not block the rear view in any
way when it is down. Go figure. A man must have designed this, Sharon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check out a company called Visualogic they are the company we get them from and you get the complete headrest no cutting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Prior to purchasing the Traverse I owned an '06 Chevy Equinox. An entertainment system was not being offered in any model Equinox when we purchased it, so I purchased an aftermarket setup from BestBuy. I don't remember who the manufacturer of the system was but in the end it was the best investment we made. For $1100 (in 2006) we purchased the dual headrest system with wireless headphones. The factory headrests were replaced with headrests that contained each of the screens. The headrests were a perfect match to our seats. The actual DVD player had to be located at a convenient location within the vehicle. We chose to place the box under the front passenger seat. I, as the driver, had to reach over to under the front passenger seat to insert/pull-out a DVD. There was a remote sensor located just below my steering wheel which allowed me to use a remote to change the functions on the DVD player after the actual DVD was inserted into the player. Although it was a little cumbersome to insert/pull-out a DVD, once it was in I simply used the remote to operate the device. The kids loved the player and the headrests with the screens in them looked as if they were factory installed. With the purchase of the system from BestBuy, I was told that I could have the system uninstalled at anytime free of charge; for example, if I decided to trade the vehicle and the dealership required me to uninstall them. When we actually traded the Equinox, it turned out to be an asset as I was given fair compensation for the system. The warranty on the DVD system was transferable and an asset to the dealership in the end. One week after we traded the Equinox, our salesman contacted us to tell us that he sold the Equinox and the DVD system is what sold the customers on purchasing our vehicle over others with slightly fewer miles. I now own a Traverse and would love to have the dual headrest system installed, however, the cost of the system has increased significantly. In the end, I will most likely go that route again, however, this time I will purchase the system from GM. Good luck with the purchase of your system and let us know what you go with in the end and who you purchase the system from.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2 cents -

My wife got an aftermarket DVD overhead player installed on her Chevy Tahoe a few years back. Screen works fine BUT the sound was transmitted and played over the radio on channels 88.1-88.9. I can't tell you how f'in frustrating it is when interference kicks in and affects the sound during playback. The kids go nuts and it's really been an overall headache. If you can get it hardwired into the stereo somehow, take that option. The Radio transmitters just are complete and utter crap. Same is true for iPod type transmitters. They just don't sound good at all. I hate to sound like the proverbial guy, but she took care of the installation herself and I ended up frustrated as ****, but bit my lip about it, so I didn't make her feel bad. Live and learn.

We currently have the stock center overhead DVD option on my Traverse and couldn't be happier. If I were you I'd take the option that made your kids happy and was wired in with the best sound and picture. I do like the idea of headrest screens and having the option to view different things, but we have 3 kids and I wasn't about to play the "who get's the screen game" every time we get in the car.

Cheers!
- Ferne

·
Registered
26 Posts
stumpk: thanks for the guidance. Do you know of a commercial company that offers installation at a reasonable rate? I am not savvy enough to install the system myself. If anyone can offer further guidance as to where to go for installation, that might be an option for me. We just returned from vacation - 4 hour trip one way - and I am really missin' the DVD player for the kids!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Depends on region. You should be able to get one installed for less than $300. Find the unit you like and get off ebay NEW...not used. I got my JMV111 Jensen 11inch off ebay for $250 shipped and my local columbus car audio shop installed if for $280. If I would've got the unit from them the price would've been $1000!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow!! Thanks a lot for the guidance stumpk. I'm gonna begin my search today. ;D

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have a dual screen system that is not installed... It has velcro straps and bungees that let you put the screens wherever you want.

It's great because, unless we're on a long trip and have it in the car, the kids don't ask for it because they know it's not there.

Plus, if something goes wrong with it, we're not out a car while it gets taken care of.

The whole setup was $100 off Ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just got done with my headrest install. its not bad at all. i am putting up a complete step by step walk through. all u need it 2 screw drivers and a 10mm socket. super easy. my kids love it. i have always had the flipdown screens or indash units. and these headrest units are by far superior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last night I pulled down the roof liner by the head rest looking for a brace to mount the dvd player. I saw the beginning of one but afraid to cut in the middle to find no brace is there. Does anyone have a pic or can tell me for sure that brace extends the width of the vehicle?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I put the overhead dvd player in yesterday and took a total of 3 hours. Everything went smooth with no issues. 12.5" screen is nice!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts