Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had aftermarket overhead DVD installed? I had one installed recently, and it is too far back. I discussed it with the install tech, and he told me that there isn't a brace further up for them to attach it to. He said that he can attach wood to the inside of the roof, under the liner, and attach it to that. Any thoughts on this pros and cons?

·
Registered
186 Posts
anytime someone mentions wood, sounds like a hacker to me... is he going to use krazy glue too?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yikes - cornelious, is yours a non-sunroof model? If so or if not, I can't imagine the roof bracing isn't already built to accommodate a DVD player because it's an option on any model.

I'm curious, though, why you went with the ceiling mount instead of the dual headrest mounts. Is it that much cheaper? I have neither, but if I were to add a system, the dual headrest seems like the simpler way to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The driver wants to watch tv... Of course in Canada that will net you a huge fine. I know they make a metal mount bracket for adding things to the head rest but I can remember what they are called. I used them once to mount corner speakers to the roof in a pickup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a roof mount in my caravan and the installer removed the dome light and put to pieces of wood for the screws to catch and it worked fine you dont see the wood it is there to suppurt the dvd. A piece of metal is fine wood does the job and makes a easier install

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
andylibby said:
Yikes - cornelious, is yours a non-sunroof model? If so or if not, I can't imagine the roof bracing isn't already built to accommodate a DVD player because it's an option on any model.

I'm curious, though, why you went with the ceiling mount instead of the dual headrest mounts. Is it that much cheaper? I have neither, but if I were to add a system, the dual headrest seems like the simpler way to upgrade.
For us it was significantly cheaper. We got the only flip down screen Alpine makes for 700 installed. For dual headrests, it would probably have been double that. Plus the viewing angle for the third row, in my opinion, wasn't as good. We don't want it so far forward that we can see it in front, we just want it even with the back of the front seats. We don't have a sunroof, but they told us they mounted it on the only support they could with out it being basically all the way in front. We're probably going to go with the wood option, but right now, they're quoting an extra $220. I'm not willing to pay that much.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree that $220 sounds like a lot considering you already paid for installation once.

Overall, it sounds like yiu got a good deal for add-on DVD at $700, though. I just find it hard to imagine that there isn't suitable bracing already there. Plus, what are they going to do about the holes they already put in your headliner?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're calling us back on monday to tell us what they think of my proposal, which was to pay the difference. We paid 150 for basic install, and we would bay the 70 bucks to get the total to 220, but not a whole charge of 220. I've measured it and if they move it up to where the two screw holes furtherest towards rear will just be covered up by the unit it self, that should be plenty far forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts