Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theyre optional and dealer installed.
But how difficult is it to remove these?
I saw them on a traverse... and thought they sit a little high.
I would in the future like to remove them when not needed--- and install when needed....

·
Registered
70 Posts
If their like the ones on the trailblazer then you just pull up on the clip on top of each side and pull up and remove them.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is one I saw on the road... the look like they sit tall...
and from the looks of it-- it didnt look like they could be moved back and forth. I could be wrong... but I didnt see any latches to allow movement.

·
Registered
161 Posts
rbarrios said:
here is one I saw on the road... the look like they sit tall...
and from the looks of it-- it didnt look like they could be moved back and forth. I could be wrong... but I didnt see any latches to allow movement.
Tall? As in you're afraid of going under low overpasses tall, or knocking something down at the Mickey D's drivethru, or what? lol
The clips may be easier to see up close on a stationary target.
I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tall is in they really stand out. (had not even thought about them hitting something)
Even more so as you look at it from the side.

They just stood out to me- as the ones on my trailblazer arent as visible from the side as these were.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wife's Traverse (The Galileo) came with them already installed and I have not figured out how to remove them or slide them. "The Galileo" is going in for its 1st service next week, plus the transmission shift cable recall. I plan on asking the mechanic to show me how they are installed and removed. This past weekend on a mini road trip of 1,000 miles there was a wind whistling noise. On my Jeep Cherokee the same noise went away when I pulled the cross bars off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Boatwrench said:
My wife's Traverse (The Galileo) came with them already installed . . .
Your wife named her Trav after a "Star Trek" TOS Class F shuttlecraft?
Interesting, that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are one of the only people I know that got the connection. Personalized license plates for Galileo were already taken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
there not like the blazer you have to take a screw out to remove cover the un lossen another screw to move them my dealer said they got a email about complaints from so much wind noise (and there is) i had ordered them i took them back they were to hard to adjust also a pain to install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Enclave with the roof rack and notice no wind noise. Maybe hearing a noise depends on where the rack is located. Has anyone noticing a noise tried moving the rack to another location?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The installation literature has a note: "When the crossrails are not in use, the front and rear crossrail should be stowed at a minimum of 14 inches apart for wind noise reduction. I have crossrails and so far no noise. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I first got my Traverse, there was so much wind noise from the cross bars that I could not hear the radio at highway speeds. I took the car back to the dealership where they found a report that the cross rails have to be mounted with the leading edge being the ribbed edge. Upon doing this, the noise went totally away. You need a special wrench that is supplied with the car to move or remove the cross rails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my Traverse under the PEP 2 pricing for new vehicles program (which GM had for a few weeks in March). The plan didn't allow me to delete options, otherwise, I would have deleted the cross rails that came with my "tagged" Traverse. The wind noise was intolerable (I didn't know/think to look to see which edge was forward). Not to mention that the cross rails WILL reduce your fuel economy (by as much as 10% by some estimates) - which was/is reason enough for me. I removed mine. Removal was pretty simple.

Each end of the cross rail has a plastic cover held on with one screw. Under that, the rail is held in place with two screws (all screws require a star bit - my dealer supplied me with a wrench). Once both cross rails are removed, the sliders can be removed. Start by removing the small rubber stopper in the middle of the side rail, slide each of the sliders to the middle and lift out. I left the small rubber piece out and am storing it with the rest of the pieces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts