Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know I am missing something obvious so be gentle :-[.

If I unlock the driver's side door with the just the key (i.e. not electronically using the FOB) and then open the door the basic factory alarm will sound i.e. beep..beep..beep and will only stop when I insert the key in the ignition. Is there a way to program it not to do this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Copper

I actuallly meant to post this a while back, because it happened to me too....I'm guessing it's not in the manual because I don't recall reading it, but guess I shoud get up and have a look....lmao...but I assume you already looked... :blob:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
medman said:
I'm guessing it's not in the manual because I don't recall reading it, but guess I shoud get up and have a look....lmao...but I assume you already looked... :blob:
Nope I havent looked :-[. How about reporting back to the group? ;D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Can I ask a stupid question?  Why were you unlocking it with the key?  Are you trying to save the batteries in the key fob?  I know that sounds harsh, but what's up with not using the fob?  The system will sound the alarm if the doors are not unlocked with the fob, it's set up that way for security (in case someone were to pick the lock, or break it).  May be annoying, but I'm sure 99.999999% of people use the fob.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
09Enclave said:
Can I ask a stupid question? Why were you unlocking it with the key?
Fair enough.

Sometimes (but not enough ;)) I drive very early to my workout place. My routine (but not often enough ;)) is to park the car then jog for a bit *before* the place has opened and return to the parking lot in time to go in. On these days I bring a minimal amount on my person as I am jogging. I have very small velcro pocket on my shorts which will hold my cell phone and a single car key.

·
Registered
407 Posts
copperbeech said:
Fair enough.

Sometimes (but not enough ;)) I drive very early to my workout place. My routine (but not often enough ;)) is to park the car then jog for a bit *before* the place has opened and return to the parking lot in time to go in. On these days I bring a minimal amount on my person as I am jogging. I have very small velcro pocket on my shorts which will hold my cell phone and a single car key.
Got it! :thumb: Hmmmm, don't have an answer for what to do then, these new vehicles are all set up with all the current technology and anti-theft things, that it's hard to just drive them normally.. One would think you could put the key in and unlock your vehicle without setting off the alarm, if it's YOUR key, but they haven't figured that out yet, it sounds like.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
09Enclave said:
One would think you could put the key in and unlock your vehicle without setting off the alarm, if it's YOUR key, but they haven't figured that out yet, it sounds like.
One option:

When I leave from my home on those mornings in question I could easily open the doors from within our home using the FOB and then go off using only the single key.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 07 Outlook did not do this, buy my 09 Acadia does - go figure. I use the key sometimes out of old habits, sometimes because I don't want the headlights to come on and wake everyone up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
khansen30 said:
My 07 Outlook did not do this, buy my 09 Acadia does - go figure. I use the key sometimes out of old habits, sometimes because I don't want the headlights to come on and wake everyone up.
You can turn off the headlights and horn on key fob use via the settings on the dash. I did that, and love the fact my 'verse doesn't announce to the World that I'm entering/exiting my vehicle. I see this as a safety thing for my wife too, as her work sometimes takes her to "not very nice" places. There've been stories about people waiting for a car to beep or flash so they can know where to attempt a robbery next...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Narg said:
You can turn off the headlights and horn on key fob use via the settings on the dash. I did that, and love the fact my 'verse doesn't announce to the World that I'm entering/exiting my vehicle. I see this as a safety thing for my wife too, as her work sometimes takes her to "not very nice" places. There've been stories about people waiting for a car to beep or flash so they can know where to attempt a robbery next...
I know you can turn them off, but 99% of the time I like it. When approaching my Acadia at night in a parking lot having the lights come on inside and out lets me see if anyone is around or has gotten in. When I don't like it is at 6:00 in the morning and my wife is not up yet and the lights shine on the house. But now that it is light that early it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm assuming these can be set on the Chevy's the same as the Buick (or is it just on the upper trim levels on the Traverse?), for the very reason some people like the lights on for entry, some don't.  My Bonneville uses the key fob to change the settings, and the two different key fobs can be set separatly, so my wife's doesn't do the lights on, but mine does. AND, on that vehicle it allows a horn chirp on the second push of the unlock button, haven't found that true on the Enclave.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I dont know if this is of any use...
On my 03 Trailblazer..
A few times that I have used my key- it set off the alarm when I opened the door (having used the key).
I learned that if I turned the key really fast- some how that didnt register with the system.
If I repeated this doing a normal key turn-- no honks.
tried it doing it 'fast' and the alarm went off...

·
Registered
73 Posts
rbarrios said:
I dont know if this is of any use...
On my 03 Trailblazer..
A few times that I have used my key- it set off the alarm when I opened the door (having used the key).
I learned that if I turned the key really fast- some how that didnt register with the system.
If I repeated this doing a normal key turn-- no honks.
tried it doing it 'fast' and the alarm went off...
And if you hold your breath, close your right eye, and stand on your left leg only it will work. :angel:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry if this is a repeat. I received a notice that this post was added to another board.

To lock a 2009 Traverse without enbling the alarm (and the beep, beep, beep using the key to unlock it):

Method one-
With the engine running, lock all doors with the power lock button
Shut the engine off and remove the key
Unlock the drivers door with the manual knob (top of door)
Exit the car and lock it with the key

Method two-
Shut off the car, remove the key, DO NOT open the drivers door (maybe passenger doors too)
Lock all the doors with the power lock button
Unlock the drivers door with the manual knob (top of door)
Exit the car and lock it with the key

If anybody has a better solution for disabling the alarm, temporarily or permanently, I'm willing to try it.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
copperbeech said:
Fair enough.

reread this post.. and Im in his scenario too....
I sometimes go running in other places-- and I park. remove the fob- and put it away. I tie the key to my shoelaces- and then lock the car via the door button.

Last thing I want is a fob flapping around...

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
copperbeech,

I have looked through the 2009 and 2010 Chevrolet Traverse owner's manuals. Unless, I overlooked some information, I too couldn't find information to reprogram the vehicle not to sound off when you use the key instead of the fob.

Have you picked the service advisors brain? If you haven't and would like me to send the question to another department to see what they have to say, please, private message me your VIN and I will get the information to my resources and see what they come up with.

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I have looked through the 2009 and 2010 Chevrolet Traverse owner's manuals. Unless, I overlooked some information, I too couldn't find information to reprogram the vehicle not to sound off when you use the key instead of the fob.
That is because it isn't possible.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
yes the procedure for opening the door with the key is to put the key into the ignition. There is a delay to allow for you to do this. I think it chirps the horn before it goes off. Correct me if I'm wrong.. I think I played with it once when I first brought it home.

·
Registered
324 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
yes the procedure for opening the door with the key is to put the key into the ignition. There is a delay to allow for you to do this. I think it chirps the horn before it goes off. Correct me if I'm wrong.. I think I played with it once when I first brought it home.
That's how mine works, with 10 chirps before it goes into full alarm (honking) mode. I would prefer if it used the chime (or some other signal within the car) for this alert, as opposed to subjecting my neighbors to the horn chirping.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My neighbors alarms go off all the time so the chirps are just fine.. Heck I trip the alarm at 3am just get back at them....

Ha Ha just joking.. But their alarms go off all the time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts