Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following is the text of an email I sent to OnStar:

On March 8, 2010 I was sent an odd (to me anyway) form letter asking me to test our OnStar button because there might be some problem with it that may affect the car's battery.

So, on March 12, 2010 I drove it out of the garage and pressed the blue button as requested. Voila, Jessica answered and nicely asked why we had never completed the activation, etc. She then explained that we had a year of premium service starting in July of 2009 when we bought the car.

Well, the odd part of this is that we had no idea that OnStar was included and operational. We have never pushed any button or heard a peep from OnStar - that I can recall anyway. We also had no idea that there was 30-minutes of telephone usage included.

Bear in mind that we shopped over the Intenet and sent a cashier's check for the car from some unknown, unseen dealer in California. They delivered it to my son in Reno, Nevada and he drove the car up to us.

Therefore, we never met the sales person, (talked to him only a few minutes when he said thanks for the sale), visited the dealership or even met the delivery drivers.

There was no explanation of OnStar or anything else with anyone. All the papers were removed from the windows, etc and have remained unopened in our glovebox.

Therefore, since there was minimal investment on the part of any dealer or GM, perhaps you could start the OnStar 1-year from this date forward?

Thanks in advance,

BTW, Jessica is probably still laughing...

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
If IM not mistaken- the glove box/manual should have a Welcome to Onstar booklet--- that includes a CD that you pop into the radio.

Im also surprissed that you somehow overlooked that Onstar Directions and Connections is free for one year.
(I think I learned about this in several ways. Chevy site, reviews, I think the decal on the window....
But in your case you dint have the decal up I guess...
Most buyers will be told about it by the salesman as theyre handed over the car.... but in your case--- you did it all online...

But I hope they give you the 1 yr...
they have nothing to lose....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
If IM not mistaken- the glove box/manual should have a Welcome to Onstar booklet--- that includes a CD that you pop into the radio.

Im also surprissed that you somehow overlooked that Onstar Directions and Connections is free for one year.
(I think I learned about this in several ways. Chevy site, reviews, I think the decal on the window....
But in your case you dint have the decal up I guess...
Most buyers will be told about it by the salesman as theyre handed over the car.... but in your case--- you did it all online...

But I hope they give you the 1 yr...
they have nothing to lose....
Off the immediate subject here, my insurance company offered me 5 % off my insurance premium, if I installed my 2 "Onstar decals" on the window glass. They're on, worth the 5 % to me.

Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Off the immediate subject here, my insurance company offered me 5 % off my insurance premium, if I installed my 2 "Onstar decals" on the window glass. They're on, worth the 5 % to me.

Bob
How would the insurance company know they are on!? That is dumb on their part, who would say no to that. Even if you didnt want to put the sticker on they would never know....

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) Is this first GM Vehicle? GM has been doing the first year free with Onstar for quit some time I remember the same deal on my 2004 Silverado only at that time they didn’t give any free minutes on the phone. I think this is a very good way for some one to test it out and see if you would like it. There is normally a free 3 month trial the XM radio if you have that install on your vehicle.

8) Steve

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Onstar has given free stuff for a while... but on some cars- its not the 'fancier' package.
For example on our 07 Impala- we got the basic onstar.
No directions and connections... we had to 'upgrade' and pay for that on our own.
On the traverse- it is included...

IN previous years- Buick and Caddy got the fancier options.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I think that was all I got in the Silverado also. I don’t know I never really used it excepted to have them unlock the doors when checking out if it worked.

8) Steve

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
My gf- does alot of traveling to customers homes.
She used to use map books, then she started using mapquest and printing the day before if she knew who she was to see the next day.
We then considered a laptop with GPS- that would be a distraction.
THen we considered a portable GPS. But she didnt want to be stopping and entering info.
THen putting away the GPS once she got to her destination (as some customers- are in unfavorable parts of the city).
Then we decided to try Onstar directions and connections.
I emailed and asked if it was unlimited or x per month etc.
WHen they said unlimited... we signed up.
She now LOVES it.... can simply call up and ask for directions if shes given a new address on the fly.

THen we received email that we could BETA test Onstars mapquest service.
It eventually becamae Onstar Enav.
But we were the 1st ones to try the service and give input.
We really liked looking up directions on mapquest and sending them to the car...

For the time being- well be using the service.
Its used at least 9 times a week.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I believe Mapquest can also send your directions to your Onstar equipment vehicle too, if you want to look them up before moving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK then,

I talked to a nice gal in Customer Care at OnStar and they extended our OnStar Premium trial by 5-months out to mid-January 2011.

Just prior to that, we re-started XM on a 5-month trial for about $20, (for the total five months or about $4 per month, [at that price - we can just leave leave the Sirius receiver in its boombox at home.]).

We still only drive it infrequently on trips as I have a 2006 Chevy company truck and what little she drives is in her 2008 Rabbit.

However, it does a fine job (averaging 20-mpg while averaging 82-mph) and can pack a lot of stuff and people.

Now , if I ever manage to get over to (and meet) the dealer, we can get the free first service as well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts