Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if and when this App will be available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
What I'm curious about is which vehicles will it work with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
For those who haven't read up on the topic.... here's some very cool links:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6671183/technology/onstar-app-general-motors-to-offer-onstar-applications-for-smartphones/index.html

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/07/22/onstar.mobile.apps.go.beyond.volt/

http://earth2tech.com/2010/07/22/onstar-app-moves-beyond-the-volt/

Looks fun for sure.

I would think that this will gain momentum once the Volt starts to hit the streets, as this app was primarily developed for that car, and later expanded to cover all modern 2011 cars and trucks.
One would think it's simply your "monthly onstar status email" on a more "pull technology" level... where you start the app, which contacts onstar directly, which runs the report, and then sends that on-demand report back to the app. Pretty cool if you ask me!!

It also looks to partially replace your keyfob (see third pic, below) but that would be interesting to learn more about. I wouldn't want someone stealing my phone and then being able to drive away in my automobile. :eyebrow: There would need to be security measures in place, one would think!

Here's some pics I found of it:






--zepcom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
I just installed this on my ipod touch this morning. I guess I'll be calling my wife in a bit and let her know it's time to fill up the tank ;D. It looks to be pretty slick, and the unlock would definitely be nice. Since I'm on an ipod, obviously I would need to be on wifi to be able to use it but still cool. Maybe some day I'll take the plunge to an iPhone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
I really wish this was on pre 11 models, I think it is awesome! I dont understand why an 09 or 10 wont work, did they do something to the 11 model to make this app work, they must.

Has anyone tried it on a pre 11 model? Is this app free? I might get it and try, just for the fun of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
I really wish this was on pre 11 models, I think it is awesome! I dont understand why an 09 or 10 wont work, did they do something to the 11 model to make this app work, they must.

Has anyone tried it on a pre 11 model? Is this app free? I might get it and try, just for the fun of it.
Someone on either the Acadia or Enclave sight tried. No dice.

I am told that the OnStar hardware for 11 is different and this new hardware is a requirement for the app to function. Rumor has it that OnStar is now debating making the new hardware available to previous MY vehicles due to demand but I can not confirm that myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
zman said:
Someone on either the Acadia or Enclave sight tried. No dice.

I am told that the OnStar hardware for 11 is different and this new hardware is a requirement for the app to function. Rumor has it that OnStar is now debating making the new hardware available to previous MY vehicles due to demand but I can not confirm that myself.
If it's a free app and all it's doing is logging into OnStar and pulling your 'otherwise-an-email' report, then it is highly likely just that they implemented the feature starting with the '11 MY. Just like how MS gets you to upgrade to the latest and greates version of their software. New features sell new cars. It says in the story that the app can work over any internet connection (i.e. is not going by way of bluetooth right into the vehicle's on-board electronics). It's the phone's browser/app pulling data via the internet from your OnStar account. This could be implemented on *any* smart phone for older model years of vehicles.

Ideally this would/should be extended to prior MY vehicles with OnStar capabilities. One would hope anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
bigtallvandy said:
If it's a free app and all it's doing is logging into OnStar and pulling your 'otherwise-an-email' report, then it is highly likely just that they implemented the feature starting with the '11 MY. Just like how MS gets you to upgrade to the latest and greates version of their software. New features sell new cars. It says in the story that the app can work over any internet connection (i.e. is not going by way of bluetooth right into the vehicle's on-board electronics). It's the phone's browser/app pulling data via the internet from your OnStar account. This could be implemented on *any* smart phone for older model years of vehicles.

Ideally this would/should be extended to prior MY vehicles with OnStar capabilities. One would hope anyway...
Not quite sure I follow you. It does not just pull the report. It can lock and unlock the doors. It can remote start the vehicle. There is a lot of two-way communication going on. In a very simplified sense it combines the OnStar reports with the Advanced Two Way Remote. There is hardware involved.


It works over any internet connection through the app - you can use something like wifi or 3G service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
It's not just pulling the once a month report. Besides being able to lock/unlock and remote start, it pulls the current mileage/fuel capacity/range/mpg and tire pressures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
We used this last night and I found one thing interesting. We were driving in my car trying to remote start our Enclave so it would be warmed up when we got to the vehicle. I was driving and my wife was using the app. When she tried to start it she said she received some sort of message stating that she should/can not use the functionality when the vehicle is in motion. I can only guess that it knew we were moving and maybe assumed we were in the Enclave? Once we pulled over everything worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Re: Re: OnStar App for iPhone

Maybe the Onstar app queries the GPS chip to ensure safe operation.

I wish cell phones would do the same thing, nothing frosts my wheaties more than passing someone driving on the expressway doing 65mph while texting. Idiots!

Sent from my EVO 4g via Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Re: Re: OnStar App for iPhone

It's available on android as well, but I haven't been able to play with it much yet....

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
HI All,

Finally go the iPhone App to work after a week of trying and calls every day to the customer advocacy team. Well, the reason it seems that the i could not Log in into the app was because of the use of a special character in my password on my OnStar account. So, if you use a @#$%, etc in your password and maybe even your Username, you will not get logged in to the app.

Otherwise, now all is cool! To be a able to remote start my vehicle via a phone is very neat! Almost scary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Traversejay said:
Sounds like a great feature, does onstar have an app for just the IPOD touch?
Yes, that's how I've been using it.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top