Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[imgl]http://media.gm.com/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/July/0721_onstar/_jcr_content/rightpar/sectioncontainer_1/par/image.img.png[/imgl]
OnStar Expands Mobile App Technology Availability

Detroit – Owners of most new 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC vehicles will soon be able to control key vehicle functions from their smart phones, thanks to the power of OnStar.

Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC are leveraging OnStar technology to develop the most robust mobile applications on the market for new vehicle owners. Each of the brand-specific apps will allow owners to activate all of the functions available on a traditional vehicle key fob – remote start, horn and lights and door lock/unlock – securely from their smartphones. This means drivers will no longer have to be within a requisite distance, or even have their keys with them, to control these functions on their vehicles.

"Giving our customers control of their vehicles with smart phone application technology is a key advantage of OnStar's in-vehicle connectivity," said Chris Preuss, OnStar president. “This technology empowers drivers to make decisions about their travels well before they enter the vehicle, meaning their full attention can stay where it needs to be – on the road ahead.”

For example, say someone is racing to catch a flight and realizes at the gate that he forgot to lock his vehicle. OnStar’s mobile app technology allows him to log into his Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick or GMC app, enter his custom PIN and send a remote lock signal to his vehicle, giving him the peace of mind to go on with his trip knowing his vehicle is secure.

Or, for example, a family attending a baseball game on a hot summer day could remotely start their vehicle as they are leaving the ballpark, so the vehicle is cooled to a comfortable temperature by the time they reach it.

In addition, the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC apps will leverage OnStar’s unique connection to the vehicle to provide key diagnostic information, including fuel tank level and range, remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure and lifetime average miles per gallon . The diagnostic information is current as of the last vehicle start, giving OnStar subscribers an up-to-date health report of their vehicle anytime they need it.

Important vehicle information, such as current odometer reading, vehicle VIN and OnStar account number also will be readily accessible within the apps upon secure login. And should OnStar subscribers need assistance with something that the mobile apps don’t provide, they can one-touch dial to specially trained advisors, who are available to assist customers 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The OnStar mobile app services will be available to millions of drivers of the vast majority of vehicles in the 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC portfolios, including the just-launched Chevrolet Cruze and Cadillac CTS Coupe, and are currently functional on the iPhone and Android systems. The Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC mobile applications will offer a variety of other features tailored specifically for each brand’s customers that will be revealed in totality when the brands begin bringing their apps to market in the months ahead.

“We’re working aggressively to bring the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC applications to market as soon as possible,” says Joel Ewanick, vice president, GM Marketing. “Because we know that each brand’s customers have different tastes, wants and needs, the apps will be very specifically tailored to offer them the services they value most, leveraging these innovative OnStar features as a compelling mutual foundation.”

OnStar and Chevrolet announced the auto industry’s first working smartphone application for the Chevrolet Volt at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show. The Volt mobile application is a unique app that will be available to customers in tandem with the launch of the vehicle, as previously announced.

Source: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/news/news_detail.brand_gm.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2010/July/0721_onstar

·
Registered
417 Posts
Only for 2011 models? That kinda stinks. Oh well, I do have the advanced remote which does most of this anyway. Only thing I don't like about the advanced remote is that it doesn't give a full representation of the vehicle's status on some things. Like the door locks don't report their true status. It will show if doors were properly locked with the remote, but if you lock the doors manually the remote can't show that. Plus it'd be nice to see oil life on my remote too. maybe GM will make the app available to older models with the advanced remote anyway. Hope so...

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Cool feature. I can see this see people really going for something like this. I don't have a smartphone, so it would be useless to me. I like the airport scenario, not so much the baseball scenario.

Good thinking GM.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This could be useful... I hope it's an app available for more than just iphone.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Definitelty sounds like a cool feature. I wonder what will be different in the actual Vehicle's OnStar system, that wouldn't allow this to be added or used for a 2009 or 2010 vehicle equipped with OnStar? They should have an expansion pack or something available to those who want this on their newer, but not 2010 vehicle with OnStar.

·
Registered
66 Posts
rival22 said:
This could be useful... I hope it's an app available for more than just iphone.
Well, they say Android too, but where's the love for Windows Mobile and Blackberry? And this shouldn't only be available for 2011s - can't be anything but software, and availability for 2009s and 2010s, etc. might actually encourage people to keep the service on - stupid move to limit it like this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I might have also read somewhere that this will be only available on the iphone. If otherwise, I hope 2010's can be programmed to accommodate this feature. I have an HTC pro 2.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Re: OnStar App coming soon

It's already on the android market as mychevrolet. The onstar link in the app does not have a working link yet though. Maybe soon...

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Superboy95 said:
Well, they say Android too, but where's the love for Windows Mobile and Blackberry? And this shouldn't only be available for 2011s - can't be anything but software, and availability for 2009s and 2010s, etc. might actually encourage people to keep the service on - stupid move to limit it like this.
Windows Mobile tends to favor FORD .... hmmmph. Blackberry support supposedly is coming sometime in the next few quarters.

It actually "can" be something but software, word is that the onstar box has supporting "encryption" key bits and pieces to allow the 2011s to communicate with this app. Previous years do not have this from what I've heard.

silverfish said:
Going to be available on Android phones as well. Saw this in a Volt advertisement.
Yep. It's loaded on my Android for about 2 weeks now.

ironjoey said:
It's already on the android market as mychevrolet. The onstar link in the app does not have a working link yet though. Maybe soon...

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk
I had the same problem when trying to download mine. Apparently the demand has overwhelmed the servers. Keep trying. I got mine to download at a wierd time (retried one night at about 1am) and it came right through. Might work for you.

I configured it with our 2011 truck and it works great. When you send remote commands to the truck, it sometimes takes over a minute to register (remote start, lock, unlock, etc). They're working to improve this as time goes on.

It's neat to be able to query the wife's truck and be able to fill up her tank of gas without her complaining about it. Yea, I know, she could do it herself, but I love her and it's one of the many things I do for her so she can focus on raising the kids. :binky: :binky: :D

Keep trying to install the onstar app, maybe at odd times of the day (i.e., NOT between 8am and 10pm EST ... remember PST is 3 hours behind EST so anytime in that range their servers may be struggling to keep up with the download requests) ---- it works great on 2011 trucks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I appreciate the information you have laid out here.Thanks for forwarding this useful information.It was wonderful of you.Good luck!that's good to know!Thanks.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts