Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this 1LT for the past 10 days. There is now 360 miles on the odometer but the OLM reads just 95% remaining. That is I am just surprised that it isnt closer to 100. I know when I picked up the car it read 99% at the dealership with about 25 miles on the odometer. Just curious what yours reads and the corresponding OLM %.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have about 1100 miles of almost all city driving and it reads 90%. To my understanding it depends an the type of driving conditions you encounter. City, highway, or towing etc.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
for comparison-- my 03 Trailblazer will hit 0% at about 10,500 to 11,000.... at which point I change the oil.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't pay attention normally, and just change every 3K.

The measurement for this comes from a number of factors in the engine. I've heard a new engine can dirty the first oil quickly. I think that's why a lot of pros suggestion first change at 1K miles.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having the OLM has got to save on resources i.e. less oil changes as under most circumstances the car will pass the magical 3000 miles mark well before the OLM recommends you change the oil.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Trusting that engine to go 10k is suicide in my opinion and not worth the risk. I'm going to run full synth every 6000-7000miles. Spending an extra $100 a year for extra oil changes is well worth it.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I dont know too much on the engine in the Traverse _ i have not purchased one yet.
But I do have an 03 Trailblazer. I will hit 145,000 today. I have 10,571 on the oil so far. No make up oil. I dont have the DIC on this vehicle- but only the Change oil light. But from all the miles ive put on this vehicle- I know that pretty soon the light will come on.
I have no problem with the engine going 10-11,000 miles- AND using regular Dino oil... no synthetic here.
This engine also takes 7 quarts with filter change.
This has been a remarkable engine. Ive always done these long oil changes. it still idles smooth. plenty of power etc.
And- I live in Southern california- which means I get stuck in rush hour traffic.... so I guess you can say it sees some heavy duty stop and go.
But I trust the OLM for the Inline 6. For fun, im going to have an oil analysis done on the oil when I change it out at 145,000.
the last oil analysis was at 104,000.

Now we need to see more oil analysis for the Traverse engines.

for comparisons---- lets take 2 Trailblazers. I6 who travel- 21,000 miles a year.
that owner does 3000 mile oil changes. at 7 quarts per oil change... thats 7 oil changes.
7 oil changes x 7 quarts = 49 quarts of oil.........

ME: 10,500 mile oil changes= 2 oil changes. 14 quarts used.

49-14= 35====the other owner used 35 more quarts of oil....in 1 year.
multiply those 35 quarts by several hundred thousand trailblazer owners....
thats alot of oil..

Theres members over on the trailblazer forums- who change their SYNTHETIC oil at 3000 miles--- to me thats crazy.

but the oil consumption does add up.
most of the people who say they wouldnt go past 3000 miles-- have never had their oil analyzed.

so like I said- ill have the oil analyzed- and see how that report looks.
if it looks good- ill continue driving-- and then purchase the Traverse- and hand the TB to my dad.
if it doesnt look good--- ill trade it in and be happy with the 150,000/ 7 yrs of great usage I have gotten from it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've just had BAD exp w/ chevy engines and if this one doesnt workout I'll never get another again. I'm just taking an excuse out of the equation. I can do a full syn castrol oil change w/ a K&N Filter for $25 out the door. Still not worth the chance for me.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the way I see it....its also about helping lessen the dependance on oil... not just saving $

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
once more members start joining- and getting oil analysis done when they start hitting 20-30 K miles- we can get a good idea how this particular engine performs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
rbarrios, your Trailblazer have the inline 6? That is a FANTASTIC engine. If the H3 would have had that rather than the I5, it would have been a serious contender for my recent purchase. The V6 in the Traverse is a tried and true engine for GM also. If I recall, it started in the award winning Cadillac CTX lineup before moving into the lambda line too. So, it's been around at least a few years.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
yes, I have the I6.
Very nice engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts