Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may sound like a dumb question, but what good is the oil life monitor? If I changed my oil according to that recommendation, there'd be something like 12,000 miles between oil changes.

I no longer adhere to the 3,000 mile oil change they peddled for years, but I can't make myself go longer than 5,000 or 6,000 miles before I take it in for service.

I know some of you guys have reduced this to a science with testing the waste oil and all, but it seems to me that there may be some owners out there who actually trust the oil life monitor to tell them when a change is due. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
hmmm. so far it seems youre getting about 244 miles per 1% of OLM....
you must do nothing but highway?

My Traverse- is giving me about 100 miles per 1%

·
Registered
994 Posts
papaford1963 said:
I won't follow it. My Traverse has 2200 miles and it still says 91%, at that rate I wouldn't be changing my oil till over 22000 miles.
Wow. As Barrios calculated that is 244 miles per 1% of OLM. For sure HWY miles (and temperate climate?)

Compare this to me: I am right now at 50% for 4400 miles or about 88 miles per 1%. So extrapolating OLM will read 0% around 8800 miles. (But if the weather cooperates I will change it out sometime next week).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 2100 miles on my 2010 and the oil life meter shows about 83%. From the other posts this seems consistent since I do 1/2 of my driving in NYC and the other half on the highway but with traffic. I plan to change the oil every 3500 miles, max. I brought the car in for an oil change at 1000 miles, (done this on every new car I have owned) and was told don't change the oil, let the rings wear in. I know that manufacturers no longer use "break in oil" but I thought what's the harm in changing at 1000 mi. I let them talk me out of it but they had checked the tire pressure while I spoke to the manager. When I got home, 2 of the valve stem overs were gone and the other 2 were loose. The TPMS uses special caps and I can't find them. Does any one have any thoughts about the 1000 mi oil change and/or a source for the valve stem caps. Found a place that would sell 100 at a time, but that's more than I need.

Vetmann
2010 Travelers Ed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use it. Why would you pay for a feature (it's part of the standard features) and NOT use it. There was a ton of technical research for how they set up the computers for the OLM, and if you listen to how it works, you would understand it. There was a video on one of these forums explaining it, can't remember where it is, but for sure....if they put a feature on the vehicle, USE IT. If you feel scared to use it, then keep doing what's old school, but these new vehicles are technology marvels, and we all need to get used to the new way of doing things. They would never put on an OLM if it was wrong, can you imagine how much this would cost if the system was wrong, and people's engines had to be replaced? I don't see they would allow a system to be in a vehicle that did harm to your engine. There was an oil monitor on our 2001 Silverado, different system....never showed a percentage, but if we've never heard of issues with those, I'm sure these are even better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
These are much better systems. NO other manufacturer warranties their vehicles up to 100000 miles with such a system. I personally believe in them and in the fact GM does not want to replace engines so why tell their customers to due less maintenance. I personally change it at around 25-30% which has been coming out to be between 10-12000 miles. I did change it the first time at 3000 just to get out any initial contaminants.

In our morning meeting the manager told us e the average age of personal vehicles has gone up 3 years over the last eighteen years, that is mainly due to the fact that vehicle today are engineered and built better then ever.

·
Registered
994 Posts
andylibby said:
I no longer adhere to the 3,000 mile oil change they peddled for years, but I can't make myself go longer than 5,000 or 6,000 miles before I take it in for service.
6k miles has got to put you below 50% on the OLM. As you said this is way beyond the old 3k mile routine. Still a good plan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
danthechevyman said:
These are much better systems. NO other manufacturer warranties their vehicles up to 100000 miles with such a system. I personally believe in them and in the fact GM does not want to replace engines so why tell their customers to due less maintenance. I personally change it at around 25-30% which has been coming out to be between 10-12000 miles. I did change it the first time at 3000 just to get out any initial contaminants.

In our morning meeting the manager told us e the average age of personal vehicles has gone up 3 years over the last eighteen years, that is mainly due to the fact that vehicle today are engineered and built better then ever.
i just can't imagine 10-12k intervals even if they are mainly hwy. 10-12k is a years worth of driving under my circumstances.

·
Registered
407 Posts
bowtie said:
i just can't imagine 10-12k intervals even if they are mainly hwy. 10-12k is a years worth of driving under my circumstances.
Well, then you will save lots of money on oil changes, won't you? ;D

·
Registered
201 Posts
3 month 3000 miles is from the days when there was more blow-by and such in the engines. Today with the greatly improved manufacturing processes it is not an issue. Oil additives are better then ever and so are the filters. People still feel that it is to long but when the manufacturer put a device into their vehicle so it can be used to reduce overall cost why wouldn't use it. GM has put many million mile of research into this system, and they warranty the vehicle with that in mind. Changing your oil to often is a waste and harmful to the environment, so we all need to start thinking as the do at GM to create a cleaner planet for our heirs.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Let's add another item to the equation ...... the OLM is telling us it's OK to go farther between oil changes .....why, then, are these chains "stretching" and requiring major surgery ? Chain failure were NOT a common issue when we were doing 3K oil changes.

It appears these "chain failures" are more notable in areas where ambient temps are lower. Any connection?

I have not heard of a valid reason yet why the chains are stretching .... but have heard many comments about "dirty oil", in connection with the stretched chains.

For me, oil changes will never exceed 5K on the speedo.

Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
why, then, are these chains "stretching" and requiring major surgery ?
Not because of oil!

bobg1951chevy said:
I have not heard of a valid reason yet why the chains are stretching ....
When the dust settles I would bet that it is because they are incorrectly designed or not built according to specs.

bobg1951chevy said:
but have heard many comments about "dirty oil", in connection with the stretched chains.
A red herring.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
i too am intrigued as to how the oil quality is making chains stretch....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
i too am intrigued as to how the oil quality is making chains stretch....
Intriguing, yes. Think of a gas powered chain saw.

When there is too much friction .... lack of lubrication, the chain stretches and has to be readjusted or replaced.

Bob

·
Registered
201 Posts
If chain stretching becomes an issue then you will see GM adjust the way they look at OLM system. If and when that day comes then things will change. Like I said before GM has down countless miles and hours of research since the late eighties on the OLM. They are still actually testing and improving the system.
The OLM measures many things from coolant and oil temp, engine speed and load, engine hours, shift points, and many more. If it senses a change it will reduce the percentage left to have you change it sooner.

·
Registered
407 Posts
^^^Yes, I'm with you, danthechevyman, these vehicles are to be enjoyed, driven, and not something that needs so much worry. The whole point of a new technological feature, like the OLM, is it makes our lives easier. Is anyone planning on keeping their Traverse (or other Lambda) forever, as a collectable car 30 to 40 years old? Probably not. They will serve them just fine for 10+ years, doing just as the OLM says, I would dare say. IF someone is worried about it, then change the oil more often....no harm in that, but to constantly dog on the system, and say how much it's not to be trusted, is not helping anyone....it's just making people scared to trust anything new technology on their vehicles. Maybe we should all go back to cars from the 70's that had manual chokes (or no chokes), roll down windows (more common), NO Onstar, no remote starts, no keyless entry, no power locks (again, the normal), very bad gas mileage, no automatic headlights, no DVD entertainment systems, no theft deterrant alarms, no long life fluids (like coolant, transmission fluid), no traction control...RWD beasts (believe me, I still like some...I have a 72 GTO...but for an everyday driver?...forget it!), the need for tune-ups all the time, etc.

I agree there are some glitches in the electronics, and computers today....but the benefits far out weigh anything that preceded.

As for the chain streatching, it that's a known common problem, it will become a recall...I'm not worried about it. IF it happens to me, and I'm not saying it won't, then I'll get it fixed....but at the expense of the GM warranty, not at the expense of my putting more dollars into oil changes for the "if come maybe", that it's the cause of it. Will GM pay you back for all the extra oil changes if that ends up being the cause? NO, so mind as well go with the OLM and assume the engineers know more than we forum gurus. At least I would HOPE they know more then we do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the monitor. I know the nature of the research that went into establishing the monitor. No, it is not as good as the spectroscopic systems that some fleets use (and will eventually come to our level). There isn't any harm in changing it sooner, aside from your wallet, so do what makes you comfortable.

My experience with other GM monitors (Corvette) suggests the monitor is not strictly linear. That is, you can't say that since, from 100% life, you dropped x% in y miles that you will have (100/x)*y miles to go to 0%. I'll be very surprised if the monitor doesn't have me changing the oil well before 10K miles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I believe the chain stretching will become a recall as well. Its early in the DI engines and Traverses life. MOST of us have 80000+ miles left on our warranty and 4+ years. I know I'll be at about 90000 miles in another 4 1/2 years if i keep my current miles up. Obviously the stretch is caught by an error code before anything happens which is a good thing rather than the chain just breaking.

·
Registered
994 Posts
kawazar said:
I believe the chain stretching will become a recall as well. Its early in the DI engines and Traverses life.
Have we seen a Traverse with the timing chain issue with an 09 build?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts