Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2010 LT II in April 2010. In July I had my first Maintenance performed and the oil life monitor was reset and showed 100%. I have onstar so I get their monthly reports. On November 6th they sent me the latest report (but it went into the spam folder so I didn't read it right away). On Monday the 8th I received an email from my Chevy Dealer saying that my oil life was less than 20% and it was due for a Maintenance II service. I was also getting the recall issue fixed too.

I brought it in on Wednesday 6th - left it there for the day and all seemed well. I checked my oil life monitor on the car this morning and it says that the oil life is at 47%. When I looked in my spam email I found the report from Onstar from November 6th, and this stated that the oil life was at 49% and no service was required yet.

So where did my dealer get the 20% number .... did they actually change the oil on Wednesday .... did I really need a service at this time. They also put on the sticker on my car that I need to go back in January for another service - that seems way too soon to me. The invoice states that the oil was changed and the oil level reset, but I don't know if that is correct.

I tried calling the dealership, but the service dept is closed for today and won't be open until Monday. They also left one of their tools in my backseat, as I found out when my little one started waving a needlenose pliars around that she found beside her car seat.

Does anyone know about the oil life monitor - is it accurate, will it not reflect the correct reading until reset, and did my dealer use a false number to get me to come in and pay for a service?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Something doesn't add up. It sounds like the Onstar email reflects where the percentage was actually at and the dealers 20% does not. I'd definitely be interested in what their reason is as far as why there is almost a 30% difference. I always pay attention to where it's at so I would have been suspicious immediately. The Onstar app makes it even easier to see where it's at too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree. It's possible that the dealer did change your oil, but did not reset the OLM system. Thus, when Onstar reported 49% and now you're at 47%, may want to talk to the service manager at that dealership. Bring with you the onstar email printed out and ask them exactly what was done. Put it on the "dealerships shoulders" to come up with who said 20% and if it was accurate. Finally, if they did in fact change your oil, inquire as to why now your OLM does not read 99%?

Some dealerships go by the sticker on the window "expected mileage in 6 months = time for oil change" .... if you choose to follow OLM, then your dealership pulled a fast one on you. If you choose to do the 5k change interval and ignore the OLM, then (assuming that the dealership did in fact change out the engine oil) they did the right thing.

Oh, and @Jwhjr: The Onstar app does not work for 2010 models, and Sineadh has a 2010 model.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with Zep. Although the first thing I would do is call onstar and opt out of them sending your current status to the dealer. I remember a couple years ago when OnStar sent out a survey to their subscribers to get their feelings on this. I know my feedback was greatly against OnStar sending this information. I can watch my own oil and mileage. I don't need a dealer harassing me. And now we have an example where the dealer has use this information and incorrectly told you that you are due for an oil change. That is told you that you were at 20% instead of the 49-47%. Although based on other feedback on this forum, you shouldn't let your Trav go much below 50%. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
dstanley said:
I can watch my own oil and mileage.
You and I are alike..... but did you recently see a thread over on the Acadia forum....
A young lady--- was following her OLM- and I think she said she did not get the ONstar email..
But--- in the end--- she failed to do 1 thing---visually CHECK HER OIL LEVEL.
She drove for quite a while without ever actually pulling the dipsticks (like the manual says to do).
Well---- her engine is one of the ones that uses oil....
and well she ruined her engine as when they went to drain the oil--- it was all nice thick sludge. very little of it....
GM denied warranty- because shed failed to monitor oil level.... something like that...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If warranty was denied on the engine repair, it was because of the condition of the oil. That issue would hold up in court, if needed.
Bob

·
Registered
718 Posts
It goes without saying especially on extended drain intervals that you need to make sure the oil level is correct. I check both of our vehicles every week.

·
Registered
994 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
If warranty was denied on the engine repair, it was because of the condition of the oil.
Bob, maybe I am misunderstanding your use of the word condition but I would imagine that the condition of the oil is directly related to the OLM (assuming the person is using a 4718 rated oil) and from the little I know of this incident described by rbarrios this individual was following the OLM BUT was negligent in checking the level of the oil. So it would be for that reason that there would be a denial of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
Bob, maybe I am misunderstanding your use of the word condition but I would imagine that the condition of the oil is directly related to the OLM (assuming the person is using a 4718 rated oil) and from the little I know of this incident described by rbarrios this individual was following the OLM BUT was negligent in checking the level of the oil. So it would be for that reason that there would be a denial of the warranty.
It was stated in an earlier post that the oil was like "sludge" ...... the word "condition" refers to "sludge".

You certainly can't lubricate timing chains or anything else with "sludge" like oil. If chains ONLY were replaced ..... I would never trust the engine reliability after it has gone through "lack of proper lube"

Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
It was stated in an earlier post that the oil was like "sludge" ...... the word "condition" refers to "sludge".
Hypothetically speaking if for a Lambda the oil level was acceptable and the OLM was being followed AND sludge resulted then GM would be on the hook for the repairs.

The sludge in this example resulted due to the lack of oil in the sump. It is for this reason GM can deny warranty.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
copperbeech said:
The sludge in this example resulted due to the lack of oil in the sump. It is for this reason GM can deny warranty.
and did.....

I was a little surprissed when the owner of that Acadia- said in her post-- that she finally READ the manual-- AFTER the engine failure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I guess I missed the part about the sludge... in that case, I agree that the warrantee is void due to neglect. Still shouldn't have used all that oil when the engine was so new... but what's done is done.

I kinda take back the negative comments directed at GM, although a "properly functioning OLM system" should have caught such a condition PRIOR to damage occuring.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
Hypothetically speaking if for a Lambda the oil level was acceptable and the OLM was being followed AND sludge resulted then GM would be on the hook for the repairs.

REGARDING THE SLUDGE, I believe we can agree to disagree.

I believe a UOA would be needed to determine the cause of the sludge. I certainly would perform the UOA BEFORE giving the customer the boot, in any case. However, the boot to the customer may have been backed up with facts we have not read.

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
and did.....

I was a little surprissed when the owner of that Acadia- said in her post-- that she finally READ the manual-- AFTER the engine failure.
I think you would be taken back to know how many owners do not know how to unlatch a hood release OR find the dipstick to check oil.

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
heres the long thread to her problem... which was also made worse by her also getting the timing chain issue.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=8245.0
It all boils down to one oil change in almost 2 years of driving. The customer must be made of money .... I would have opted for the oil changes. Back in my earlier post, in the 17 cars that were "picked" out for timing chain replacements, NONE of the 17 had "normal" type oil changes.

Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
zepcom said:
although a "properly functioning OLM system" should have caught such a condition PRIOR to damage occuring.
And all else being equal i.e. oil level acceptable and oil selection is rated 4718 then in the end it is GM's problem.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just did my weekly oil level check and after about 1100 miles since the first oil change the oil level is still perfect. Doesn't look to be using any oil thus far (2600 total miles on it).

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
im with you... took a 310 mile round trip yesterday-- 2700 miles since last oil change-- checked oil level--- no loss... now at 3000 miles on this oil.. 71% OLM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts