Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2009 traverse with only 46,000 miles. I went to change my oil and noticed there was a leak all over the oil pan and a/c compressor area. I’m just wondering is there a common leak on the passenger side for traverses? Especially with only 46k miles.

I know the oil filter leaks down from there but I had not loosened the filter yet when I noticed oil everywhere.

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
the timing chain cover is known to leak on some.

But- seems it took 12 yrs to leak.

I have a friend who had an Acadia. it got a leak.
He had the dealer fix it. I think under warranty.
(I believe they took out the engine)
After that- he had so many issues. Brakes applying on their own and all sorts of electrical issues.
So much so- GM bought back the vehicle.
He later said- the vehicle was working FINE... he actually said he could have lived with that slow leak.
In hindsight-- he would have just lived with it.

I guess connectors didnt go back like they should have.

But yeah-- thats what I know of the leak on the cover.
Im sure others have had the work done with the engine in. They just have to clean the mating surfaces really good... but its so cramped between the engine face and the side of vehicle... some just take out engine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the timing chain cover is known to leak on some.

But- seems it took 12 yrs to leak.

I have a friend who had an Acadia. it got a leak.
He had the dealer fix it. I think under warranty.
(I believe they took out the engine)
After that- he had so many issues. Brakes applying on their own and all sorts of electrical issues.
So much so- GM bought back the vehicle.
He later said- the vehicle was working FINE... he actually said he could have lived with that slow leak.
In hindsight-- he would have just lived with it.

I guess connectors didnt go back like they should have.

But yeah-- thats what I know of the leak on the cover.
Im sure others have had the work done with the engine in. They just have to clean the mating surfaces really good... but its so cramped between the engine face and the side of vehicle... some just take out engine.
Hoping it’s not the timing cover. And if it is I guess I’ll have to get in there somehow. Hoping it was just a leaking oil filter gasket. Time will tell. I’ll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Clean it all really good and try to pinpoint the source of the leak.

If it's a slow leak, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it and top it off, otherwise why mess with it?

Reactions: rjmcnasty

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
There are UV dyes you can put into the oil, or any vehicle fluid, that will pinpoint even the smallest leak.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clean it all really good and try to pinpoint the source of the leak.

If it's a slow leak, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it and top it off, otherwise why mess with it?
well I did my oil change yesterday and I was about 2 - 2-1/2 quarts low on oil. So it just concerns me with the timing chain issues this car has id rather fix a leak than fix a stretched timing chain.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The early 1st Gen's used oil "normally," so being low isn't unexpected, although 2-1/2 qts is much lower than most have reported (usually 1 to 1-1/2 qts; my 2011 was usually a bit over 1 qt).

No matter how your proceed, you need to be checking your oil levels religiously.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worst vehicles on the planet. Run, turn it back in and don’t look back. Buy any other brand of vehicle. These are sink holes!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Frank. No vehicles are perfect no matter the brand. Some are really rust buckets after 5 years. Transmission issues are commons in many brands same with engines. Do you remember the 2010 Mazda3 how rusty they were after a few years! Our 2017 Traverse never had any issues except some curious 4 legged creatures that decided to have a supper lunch with our engine wirings.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Worst vehicles on the planet. Run, turn it back in and don’t look back. Buy any other brand of vehicle. These are sink holes!
Thank you for your generous contributions to the forum. And you provides such great evidence to support your claims, it's really hard to argue with it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts