Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 2lt Chevy traverse. It has approx 97,000 miles. For the third time in a row of getting my oil changed have been told I am almost 4 qts low. However, no evidence of leaks anywhere. No oil drips in garage and mechanic can’t figure out where it is going. I also have had the knock sensors go out 4 times in the last 3 months. Pls help

·
Registered
437 Posts
The mechanic can't figure out what's going on? Get a new mechanic, it's kind of their job to figure these problems out.

If you really aren't leaking any than it's likely getting pulled into the PCV system and burned or deposited on the intake valves. Has your mechanic pulled the plugs to see if there is any oil on them? Or pulled the intake to check the intake valves?

I hate to say it but if you are 1. burning that much oil and 2. haven't topped it off so are likely running low 3. on an earlier 3.6 that are known to have timing chain oiling issues I would pretty seriously consider selling the vehicle. Sounds to me like you may be heading towards some hefty repairs.

I wish I could find some positives but this just does not sound good to me.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
these engines- Direct Injection.... its not a question of if--- but when... youll begin to burn oil.
It seems yours is burning quite a bit of oil before 100,000.
Im burning about 3 to 3.5 qts every 5000 miles-- though Im at 157,000.
I check my oil on a weekly basis- and add oil to keep it at the full level

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have 2012 2lt Chevy traverse. It has approx 97,000 miles. For the third time in a row of getting my oil changed have been told I am almost 4 qts low. However, no evidence of leaks anywhere. No oil drips in garage and mechanic can’t figure out where it is going. I also have had the knock sensors go out 4 times in the last 3 months. Pls help
Third time being four quarts low and you haven't been checking your oil on a regular basis? The more you loose, the worse the engine wears. Less oil in the system heats it up quicker and to a higher temperature then you are loosing it more rapidly. The problem compounds.
Check the oil.Check the oil, Check the oil. . What viscosity are they using, And is it Dino or Synthetic? What brand do they use? They do make a high mileage oil which supposedly has additives to treat oil seals and keep them soft, maybe it wont hurt to try it, but once you use it, you shouldn't go back to non high mileage.
I am also surprised that you didn't get a low oil pressure message, I believe the sending switch is by the filter, you should have it checked as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might be burning the oil. Check your converter soon to see if it's getting clogged. How long does it take to burn the 4 quarts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do yourself a favor, check the oil once a week and keep it full. You are leaving yourself open now for camshaft drive chain issues. I don't understand people not checking their oil level weekly not matter what the vehicle is. Sensors are not always accurate. If you were in fact actually 4qts low on a 6 qt engine,the low oil sensor light should have come on to warn you. Have it checked before you seize or blow up your engine.

Your oil is sucking through the PCV system. There is a lot of info here regarding that issue as well as carbon flaking off of the intake valves damaging the cylinder walls and piston rings causing it to burn oil also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts