Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Interesting, except the oil they are talking about is for diesel engines...

Engine life is simple. Change oil regularly, and burn Tier 1 gas. I hear so many comments about how dirty engines get. Turns out those engines talked about usually are driven by folks that don't change oil regularly. So to me it's more about the owner than it is about the oil.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't know where I read it (AcadiaForum?) but alot of folks starting with 500mi oil change were really into using Mobil-1. Now as a non-mechanic non-grease-monkey kind of guy "oil is oil" and Valvoline Oil Change when I am in a hurry is sometimes used. Do we have any folks really "into" oil on this forum?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
t4me said:
Do we have any folks really "into" oil on this forum?
I love reading bobistheoilguy! When I purchased new my 05 Vibe I changed out the FF (factory fill) within the first 500 miles to a steady diet of quality synthetic...similarly I replaced (too many times :-[) the manual transmission fluid.

I have sent several samples of used motor oil from the Vibe for analysis to Blackstone Labs (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html)

I do plan on dumping the factory fill for our Traverse early on and probably replace it, for now ;), with M1 5W-30 as it is the FF for the Enclave...not sure why it isnt as well for our Traverse :confused:. Anyone know why it is good enough for the Enclave and not "us"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to everyone... I am new to the forum.

We purchased an LTZ Traverse a few weeks ago and we love it. I too am contemplating what oil to use. I had no idea the Enclave came with Mobil 1 as a FF. Interesting. I agree... why is it in the Enclave but not the Traverse? They are the same power-train.

I am a member of "Bob is the oil guy" forum and have had many chats with those guys about oil choices for the 3.6 Direct Injection engine.

Seems that the DI engine is very tough on motor oil as indicated in some of the UOAs (used oil analysis) performed by some of the members. I was leaning towards Castrol GTX. I then received several answers to my question on that forum about the right oil to use. The consensus is synthetic oil would be best for this engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Narg said:
Interesting, except the oil they are talking about is for diesel engines...

Engine life is simple. Change oil regularly, and burn Tier 1 gas. I hear so many comments about how dirty engines get. Turns out those engines talked about usually are driven by folks that don't change oil regularly. So to me it's more about the owner than it is about the oil.
Which oil "they are talking about" is for diesels? There are several oils mentioned in that thread,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts