Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new to the site, i purchased a 2010 green metalic traverse for my wife in May, i took it in to do its first oil change today, i was charged an extra $5 cause they said these trucks have a special filter that has a back flow in it? is this true? ive never heard of them filters.....

thanks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
The filter is mounted horizontally and the OEM (PF48) is used on a variety of vehicles. Because of this there are many after market filters that work just fine in this application. Where did you actually your Traverse for the oil change and what was the ID for the filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,572 Posts
Just go to walmart and buy the AC DELCO filter there.. Its bout $3-$4 at walmart.
Next time say-- HERE-USE THIS.. and hand it to them....

on some filters theres a rubber flap of some sort--
my understanding is--- that keeps oil in the engine--this is helpful for cold morning starts..
where there is some oil left in the engine- for the cold morning start..

if there werent a flap- the oil would just drain back down-- and for a little time- theres no oil to lube the parts...
You know -- they call it the ANTI-DRAIN BACK valve... all it is is a rubbed flap of some sort...

I think thats what they were referring to..
Also- from our used oil analysis that weve had-- the PF-48 does a good job of filtering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Most good filters have a anti-drainback valve to prevent a dry start , no lubrication to the oil pump and valvetrain when starting

I have used Fram synethic and K&N filter with good results , i just perfer KN because of it's quality construction and that

it filters down to 9-16 mircon of dirt in the oil, I rather pay a little extra for superior filteration. Thats just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
ap2002 said:
Hello, im new to the site, i purchased a 2010 green metalic traverse for my wife in May, i took it in to do its first oil change today, i was charged an extra $5 cause they said these trucks have a special filter that has a back flow in it? is this true? ive never heard of them filters.....

thanks....
Just goes to show the oil saying is true.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS.

Look at the filter drawing below. The device is call the "Anti Drain-back Valve". $5 more for that is a joke. Like was said, good quality filters all have that. It prevents the oil from draining back out the same way it came in.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Bottom line is you paid $5 extra because the filter is not the easiest to remove. To use a filter other than the recommended AC filter could cause you grief, if that filter fails and causes engine failure/damage during your GM engine warranty period.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured that it was something it needed due to the filter location, i meant to look at the one they off took since it was the original one....

So next time its ok to say screw u and just put a normal one?
 
G

·
ap2002 said:
I figured that it was something it needed due to the filter location, i meant to look at the one they off took since it was the original one....

So next time its ok to say screw u and just put a normal one?
Where did you have the oil changed? A dealer would install the AC Delco PF-48 so I'm guessing it was a quick change place? I wouldn't go back to them or at the least take in your own filter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
AA/78U said:
Where did you have the oil changed? A dealer would install the AC Delco PF-48 so I'm guessing it was a quick change place? I wouldn't go back to them or at the least take in your own filter
:ditto:

Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
I would take it one further. Next time you go for an oil change there, take your old invoice along and ask for you $5 back! Unless they installed something "extra", they have no reason to charge you more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
copperbeech said:
That hex nut is genius.
It filters and allow continues oil pressure even when there contaminates are very high in the oil :eyebrow:

Love KN filters and that one inch nut on the end. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
2LT AWD said:
It filters and allow continues oil pressure even when there contaminates are very high in the oil :eyebrow:

Love KN filters and that one inch nut on the end. :thumb:
Wait, I'm confused. Is the K&N filter actually good, or is it snake-oil? I can't tell if this quoted post, and the one it quoted, were trying to be snarky or sincere.

I have a K&N air filter on my old Camaro, and I'm familiar with the associated issues with that, but I'm pretty clueless on the oil filters.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Z15 that pic of the oil filter looks like a Amsoil filter? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Look at the UOAs that have been posted. Insolubles that the filter would take out don't seem to be an issue. I don't believe a UOA has been done with a K&N in use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Look at the UOAs that have been posted. Insolubles that the filter would take out don't seem to be an issue. I don't believe a UOA has been done with a K&N in use.
The UOA I read are saying certain oils type tend to brake down in certain areas leaving less protection qualities in the oil, correct ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
2LT AWD said:
The UOA I read are saying certain oils type tend to brake down in certain areas leaving less protection qualities in the oil, correct ?
That's correct, but even the UOAs with "thinned" out of grade oil had relatively few insoluble particles. Fuel is most likelly the culprit of the oil getting to thin, but the oil filter doesn't clean that it...it just flows on through with the rest of the oil.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top