Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I elected to change the oil on my 3 week old Traverse. We are very happy with the vehicle. The grand kids are having a ball trashing the back seat. My question is, what is everyone out there using to remove the oil filter? I tired the old pressure tightening method, the hand wrench with teeth method, and the 3"cup method. Nothing is working. I drained the oil no problem, but the filter is a pain! I went to an auto parts place and they scratched their heads as well. I did purchase a deeper 3" cup to use with a wrench, we'll see how that works. Does anyone out there have a method of removing this filter? I tried the internet and found nothing that could give me leverage from above. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :help:

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it is like my 08 Enclave (non DI engine) I use a ratchet with one of those plastic caps that fit over the end of the filter. It works great. I do not recall the size however. You can always bring a filter and try them out in the store to find the correct one.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
didnt I read on here about some of the filters being on super tight---
Some people will make a hole in the filter- drain the filter-- and then use the hole to stick a screwdriver in it and turn.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I bought a metal cap that was to fit the factory filter, but it just slipped off. I know about the screw driver through the filter trick but was trying to avoid tearing up the filter. This thing is on TIGHT! My new Fram filter has that black grip coating on the end. That would be nice if the one on there had it! So, I may just have to get physical with the darn thing and puncture it with a screw driver. Zman, where did you get the Plastic cap that fits over the filter? I need one that won't slip off, and by the way, which way do you go to take the filter off? I assume you would push down and go counter clockwise, right? :help:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought mine at a local auto parts store. It seems mine is made by FloTool and the only size mentioned is number 7. I thought there would be dimensions, but I guess not. Keep in mind I use Mobil1 filters but my guess is that this does not matter.

Yes, it is the basic righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Turn it towards the passenger side, assuming the filter is in the same God-forsaken location as my Enclave - in front, down low, facing downward, next to the **** exhaust manifold.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FTL&MfrPartNumber=10607B&CategoryCode=3401A

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same issue when changing my oil. After getting nothing but a mangled filter with several oil-filter tools, I ended up using a large pair of slip-joint pliers. Easily broke the filter loose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Thanks to clbhk and zman, I plan on using your suggestions on removing the oil filter. I have slip-joint pliers that should do the trick. Or I can just mangle the darn thing and stab it with a screw driver! Sounds to me like an opportunity to come up with a tool that would go around the oil filter and be long enough to reach above the radiator. More leverage and saved knuckles would be nice, let alone being so close to a possibly hot manifold like zman mentioned. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. We'll talk again soon! Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
For my old 1988 Ford Ranger, I used to have a device that looked like a spring. This would fit over the outside of the filter and the spring would tighten around the filter with pressure spread over a much larger area. I haven't seen anything like this for sale recently, currently use an plastic end cap device that fits on a ratchet.

Just remember if you stab the filter you have to get it off no matter what before you can drive it. I had a filter stuck on, stabbed it and shred the can. I ended up using an air hammer to get the metal base off of the engine... not fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jsaidoo: That is a great idea! Perhaps a company that makes tools can copy that idea and make a tool that us garage mechanics would buy. Hey, why not try it yourself, patent the thing and make yourself some cash! By the way, how long did you make the pipe? :thumb:

·
Registered
91 Posts
when doing the screw driver trick here is a suggestion. You might already have the cap type removal tool on hand, but realized it's shitty. Take that metal cap oil filter removal and drill two holes in it. Both need to be on opposite sides. put that drilled cap onto the oil filter end and smack your screwdriver through the one hole and out the other side(hole). This prevents the oil filter from being sliced to a point that you can not remove it.

Sorry if I've confused you, but this hilljack tool has worked a few times in places that I can't get my wrench.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts