Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys got your Traverse new when did you do the first oil change? The last time I purchased a new car the Dealer had you come back at 1000 mi for the first OC and they threw that in with the sale. My dealer said to go by what the manual or oil life monitor says. I now have 1247 mi and the oil is a dark brown almost grey. Probably from the assembly lubes and stuff. Some articles I read say to leave the first oil in there to regular change interval because the stuff in the oil helps everything seat and get broken in. I want to dump it now and put Mobil 1 in like I have done with all my cars over the years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
kawazar said:
When you guys got your Traverse new when did you do the first oil change? The last time I purchased a new car the Dealer had you come back at 1000 mi for the first OC and they threw that in with the sale. My dealer said to go by what the manual or oil life monitor says. I now have 1247 mi and the oil is a dark brown almost grey. Probably from the assembly lubes and stuff. Some articles I read say to leave the first oil in there to regular change interval because the stuff in the oil helps everything seat and get broken in. I want to dump it now and put Mobil 1 in like I have done with all my cars over the years.

Mine was very dark/gray like you describe after 1500 miles. seems like that is a common comment on this blog. I had the dealer change it cause I had a free one. The tech said it looked normal to him. I didn't agree with him. Normal as compared to what? Will have it changed again at 3000 and see if it stays cleaner. I have a feeling this new DI engine is dirty and hard on oil. As a comparison, after 3500 miles my Impala looks like it just came out of the can.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know on new cars i had in the past it would look a little dark but not as dark or grey as this. I know they use assembly lubes and things like that. I will change it this week just to be sure and put in some Mobil 1.

·
Registered
994 Posts
njboy said:
I have a feeling this new DI engine is dirty and hard on oil.
To risk sounding like a broken record get your used oil analyzed. It is only with this type of information that you can determine what mileage interval is appropriate for this engine and which oil(s) do a good job of protection.

I think I am doing my part in terms of establishing baseline info re this engine as my upcoming change in mid August (after a 3k miles interval) will again be sent off for analysis...the third consecutive analysis for our Traverse.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sound of Record Breaking... :thumb:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a lot of research I decided to change the original oil at 3000 mi. I will send it to Blackstone for exam. I just don't feel there will be anything bad that could happen after reading things online and talking to a friend who has been a GM tech for 18 yrs. I will post the results when I get them in probably a few months because I'm only at 2000 mi now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured that what I'm doing will give us some insight into the early oil change decision.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well.......it cant hurt to change it early. So why not play it safe and do it?

·
Registered
994 Posts
kawazar said:
I figured that what I'm doing will give us some insight into the early oil change decision.
Ah! A man after my own heart :thumb:

(t4me, why can't you be more like kawazar? ;))

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking of changing it early but from what I've read and what the GM tech told me there could be a downside to putting Synthetic in too early. Which has been the speculation for years. Some of the opinions, as you know, are that the regular oil acts as a liquid machining for the first 3000 mi and helps the parts seat and break in better. With my 94 Suburban that i just traded, that went the full 3000 mi on the original oil and then I switched it to synthetic. 170k and it used 1/2 qt. of oil in 5000 mi which was the change interval I had for all those miles. I know everyone has their opinions and this stuff is just my opinion but we'll see when the analysis is done what we learn. On the link listed above Bob is the Oil Guy talks about this stuff. I just keep checking the level every week and the color is not changing which really isn't a good indicator anyway. The GM tech did say that the assembly lubes they use now (and how much of it they use) affect the color of the oil as well. He said GM claims the 1000 mi OC is not necessary anymore. He has learned that 3000 is the earliest they recommend. Sorry for being long winded!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
kawazar said:
but from what I've read and what the GM tech told me there could be a downside to putting Synthetic in too early.
The standard reply is that many new cars including GMs come from the factory filled with synthetic oil, including the STS and CTS which have basically the same DI engine as 09 and 10 Lambdas.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't realize that. I will call him this week and find out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Speaking of oil changes, the dealership where I bought my Lambada says to go by the DIC computer, and wait until it says around 60% oil left in it, which ends up being around 5K, anyone else get that advice and which is the best way to go, 3K or go by the computer read-out?

dearsmiths

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Some years ago---GM told dealers to stop touting 3000 mile oil changes- and use the DIC.

If we were in a Trailblazer forum- id tell you to follow the DIC.
I personnally go up to 11,500 miles between oil changes (regular oil) in my 03 Trailblazer-using the DIC- im very close to hitting 150,000- and the engine runs fine. I have done oil analysis on my used oil- and the reports are good. I trust the OLM in the Trailblazer.... I just had Trailblazer smogged here in California (they put in on rollers and simulate driving conditions)- it passed with flying colors.

For the traverse...
Since owners are still gathering info on this DI engine- via Oil analysis.... I think what the dealer has recommended is sound advice.
Once you have more miles on your engine- you can get your own oil analysis done with x% oil life left--- once you get those results you can make a very informed decision on when its appropriate to change your oil in your vehicle- based on actual oil analysis results....
and not on statements such as... "oil looked dirty at 3500 miles"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts