Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil last night to Mobil 1 5-20 synthetic. Outside the mess the oil makes when removing the filter, it's not to bad. All and all it went pretty smooth. Start to finish about 20-25 minutes using ramps. And that's cleaning up the oil that drained from the filter. FYI the drain plug is a 15mm.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Can you get to the drain plug from above, or do you have to go under to reach it? Glad to see it's metric. I'm a big fan of metric.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What he said.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My tip for messy oil filter locations is to slip a disposible plastic cup over the filter after you have it loose enough and use that when you remove the filter. The cup catches any oil that leaks out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so much the oil dripping out of the filter it's what it drips onto. Directly under the filter is a motor or frame mount and it get a bit messy.

I'll keep the cup idea in mind for future referance thuo. Thanks!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
72 Posts
For those of us not so mechanically inclined, what is the recommended duration for oil changes? On my VW it was 5000 but on my dads Avalance its 3750.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spade said:
I changed the oil last night to Mobil 1 5-20 synthetic. Outside the mess the oil makes when removing the filter, it's not to bad. All and all it went pretty smooth. Start to finish about 20-25 minutes using ramps. And that's cleaning up the oil that drained from the filter. FYI the drain plug is a 15mm.
You state you used 5W20; I have an 08 Enclave and the specs call for 5W30 except in real cold conditions you can use 0W30. Are the Traverse oil specs different? To my knowledge the engine are the same with the exception of the DI and and a stiffer oil pan. Just wondering

·
Registered
79 Posts
43sbest said:
You state you used 5W20; I have an 08 Enclave and the specs call for 5W30 except in real cold conditions you can use 0W30. Are the Traverse oil specs different? To my knowledge the engine are the same with the exception of the DI and and a stiffer oil pan. Just wondering
I wonder the same thing, 5w-20 is generally an extreme energy saving oil that is used by some manufacturers (mostly Japanese) to squeek the last fraction of a mpg from their EPA ratings. Many question the real long term protection from these oils and it is interesting to note that at least one manufacturer, Mazda, who has several vehicles in the USA recommending 5w-20, recommends 5w-30 in those very same engine applications in every other country outside the US.

·
Registered
417 Posts
intotheoh said:
For those of us not so mechanically inclined, what is the recommended duration for oil changes? On my VW it was 5000 but on my dads Avalance its 3750.
In the past, I changed oil on my vehicles every 3000 no matter what. My wife drives a new HHR, and now I the Traverse. I may be changing my tune on when though. As far as when? I'm not sure. Fortuantely we have the DIC that gives us the oil life from engine sensors. I'm thinking of pushing no less than 25% oil life remaining though, which should be well over 3000 miles if I figure correctly. Probably close to 5000. I've heard some folks getting 8000 miles out of this sensor's recomendation. But I think that was with expensive synthetic oils. I'll probably use 50/50 blend.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Ive been following the oil life monitor on our 07 Impala and my 03 Trailblazer with the 4.2 inline 6. This engine takes 7 quarts with filter change.
Ive always used my OLM. I dont have the DIC-- so my light comes on... It does not display a % oil life left...so I change when the light comes on.
BUT... I do trust this system. As long as you use oil that meets the GM Specs- and use a quality filter- the oil will degrade in a known fashion that the OLM can accurately predict.
My 03 Trailblazer just turned 138,130 miles today. over a 2 week period Dec15 to Jan 2 (4 days of driving) I racked up 3200 miles of pretty much non stop driving. I was loaded up-- enough to drop my rear end 4 inches... thats alot of weight... I drove thru the cold sonoran desert and up and down some hot humid mountains thru the Mazatlan area- and finally into Guadalajara... I came back to Los angeles with 3200 miles on the oil--- and will leave it in there for another 5 months at least... I know the OLM will come on when I have somewhere near 11,500 miles (from my past 3 trips to the same location).
I use nothing but regular DINO oil 5w30 Valvoline.....
When my engine passed the 100K mark I wondered.... so about 25 miles shy of hitting 104,000 miles--- I drained oil and took a sample. (OLM had not come on)... I had the oil analyzed... I also did not reset the OLM...
as you can see from the results below- the analysis said I could go a little further with the oil.... and sure enough.. my OLM came on about 300 miles later...
this would indicate that the GM OLM was right on with the in lab oil analysis results..... pretty impressive I think....
I have continued to do these long 10-11,500 mile oil changes....
This is a pic of how heavily loaded I was this past december on my trip to Mexico... I think 4 inch drop is significant on an SUV- hard to see the rear wheel well--- but when unloaded-- its sits much higher....

I plan on replacing the TB with the Traverse... but my TB is still performing great.... By the way... the trip was MOSTly highway... and non stop... I was able to see 21 MPG at 70-75 MPH and with all this weight. (since it was all highway with cruise set). At home I see 18MPG with combined highway/street.
When I get the Traverse.. I plan on doing oil changes based on the OLM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Narg said:
In the past, I changed oil on my vehicles every 3000 no matter what. My wife drives a new HHR, and now I the Traverse. I may be changing my tune on when though. As far as when? I'm not sure. Fortuantely we have the DIC that gives us the oil life from engine sensors. I'm thinking of pushing no less than 25% oil life remaining though, which should be well over 3000 miles if I figure correctly. Probably close to 5000. I've heard some folks getting 8000 miles out of this sensor's recomendation. But I think that was with expensive synthetic oils. I'll probably use 50/50 blend.
The oil life monitor doesn’t know if you have conventional oil or Synthetic oil. The oil life is base on the way the vehicle is driven. Generally speaking lots city driving (low speed, stop & go) will reduce the oil life much faster than highway driving, As to Synthetic oil costing more it depends on how often you change your conventional oil and lets face it were not talking big bucks here. The benefits of synthetic oil far out weigh the additional cost; I consider it cheap insurance.
I prefer to change my own oil and filter but rotating tires is something I’m not going to tackle. I have my oil and filter changed every 7,500 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic; they rotate the tires and reset the TPM free. IMHO 50/50 blends are a waste of money.

Just my opinion of course

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
like he said...
if you car came with regular dino oil from the factory--- and you put in Synthetic- it will not know the difference.
The oil life monitor will continue to calculate oil life based on your driving AND the properties of regular dino oils degradation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't ever trust the Oil Life System in this thing. Mine told me I had 65% remaining at 4000miles. I just changed the oil and no way in heck would I ever keep going. That stupid system doesn't measure the quality of the oil. How are you going to tell me when to change my oil when you don't measure the quality? I can talk to my acura and tell it to make the car 72 degrees w/o touching a button...but you cant make a car that can measure the quailty of oil. Someting is wrong here.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
the requirements are
Use quality oil meeting GM specs.
Use quality filter.
Check oil level often.

The manual has a spec on the oil. The oils will have the spec listed- if not- look at the data sheet on the manufacturers web site.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
I believe Mercedes used to have a sensor that measured oil particulates...
Anyways- sounds like the engine in the Traverse is similar to the one in my sisters 2008 Lucerne.
Her engine also goes long between oil changes. (about 6-7000) miles. This is with 4 qts.
I do check her oil level and add oil if it needs it.
But this surprissed me because our 07 impala goes about 4500-5500 miles. I also add some oil in that timespan.
But they are different engines and they each have their properties. (impala- 3900, Lucerne 3800 )

Our 07 Impala is down to 4% oil life. I think were close to hitting 5500 miles since the last change.
But- I just noticed that Wal Mart had a 5 quart jug of Havoline 5w-30 oil on clearance. Something like $9 or something...
But- the Manual calls for oil meeting GM spec- GM6094M.
I just looked up havoline oil- and the oil meets the spec. So ill buy it and use it.

Once some of you guys get more mileage on your engines- and you follow the OLM... it would be nice to have someone have their oil analzed.

http://site.iwebcenters.com/hwpetroleumcompany/_fileCabinet/TexacoData/Hav-5W205W30.pdf

·
Registered
201 Posts
As far as the OLM it was designed to lower the cost of ownership in the vehicles.
A few things to consider is the fact that the additives in the oil have gotten better over the years. GM introduced this system in 1988 and has improved it and there engines over that time frame.
From my personal experience as a certified tech unless you are racing the OLM will work fine for you, if you are a severe driver only in town or heavy foot change it more often, the new cars show a percentage of oil life left( our Traverse has 3200 miles and 70% left on the first oil change, I am changing it soon and converting to Mobil 1) the only reason I am changing it now is because it is the first oil change after this I will what until the OLM reaches 25-30%. My 2002 Avalanche OLM goes off between 3500-5000 miles and that is when I change it also running Mobil 1 but this vehicle rarely see the highway.
The most important thing to consider is that GM has a 5 year 100,000 power train warranty, if they did not believe in the system they would not warranty the engines for that long.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That powertrain warranty is a JOKE!!!! Compete w/ the others and give a 50-60k bumper to bumper!!! I'm already not pleased w/ the transmission. When attempting to catch the passing gear it doesn't catch and revs high like it just fell into neutral. Chevy will not even look at it until it's completely busted. If it continues I'll make sure it is busted before 36k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ STUMPK, I sent you a private message.

·
Registered
201 Posts
http://www.carsmart.com/content/research/warranty/index.cfm
This is a link to a comparison of new car warranties I just want to clarify this for everyone.
Many manufactures require that you service the vehicle at the dealership for all maintenance, and yes some even include that maintenance, but what we all must remember is that you pay for it in one form or another.
If you are not satisfied with the respone or service from your dealership you can go to another dealership and have them look at it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts