Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had my oil changed and it calls for 6 quarts for oil and filter change. This is for a 2019 Traverse. I had to go back it was half a quart short. This happened at the Chevy dealer as well. Can my oil dipstick not be correct? They did have six bottles at the indy 300 fast lube. I checked the oil later and it was short. Any ideas? I am adding some updates. Indy 3000 oil change place used the service pro M2500 oil filter and they used 6 quarts and the oil was checked engine hot 5 min later on level ground

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
1. Which filter did they use? Some are bigger than others.
2. How long did you let it sit, before checking?
3. Was it level?

6 quarts should top it right up.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Assuming you're using the dipstick to decide your oil level. Many reports here that the dipstick markings aren't accurate. So the only way to truly know level is to drain, add 6 qts (or WATCH someone add 6 qts), THEN check the oil level and see where it comes on the dipstick. You will then know what the proper level on the dipstick will be.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yes on these vehicles, the factory used an AC Delco PF63 or maybe it was a PF48, and for subsequent oil changes the PF63E or F was specified as the correct filter. The E/F version is bigger and they didn't use it because it was too large for the assembly process. That is probably why the specification only lists 6 quarts.
I commend you for checking on mechanics work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3. Was it level?

I let it sit 5 min on level ground. I will have to see what size filter was used.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My Equinox uses the same size filter specified for the traverse and it will take 6.5 Qts. The owners manual says the PF63 is the correct one but the Auto Part sites specify 63E or 63F.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3. Was it level?

Ok it was the service pro M2500 oil filter that was used. The exact amount of oil was used

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok it was the service pro M2500 oil filter that was used. The exact amount of oil was used
Oil is pretty much oil.... but.... quality and efficiency of oil filters themselves is all over the road.
I totally get most folks dont / wont crawl under their Traverse to change the oil so they go to the local Jiffy Lube type place.

The Jiffy Lube needs to make money too, and the biggest savings for them is cheapo oil filters. Will they blow up you Traverse? Probably not. Will your Traverse make it out of warranty? Probably will.

But then you own it, when all the timing chains and cam phasers go on the fritz.

If you do use a oil change service, take your own quality, brand name filter with you. Most places won't hassle you if you do. I did an extensive study on oil filters, and most brands are very poorly made. I call them "Consumer Grade" filters and tend to avoid them after seeing what I saw..

Here's a link.

Baldwin was ranked very high, and 4 filters delivered to your home from Walmart for less than $30 is hard to beat.
Something to consider.....

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
what does the manual say for the 2019's.
my 2010 says 5.5 qts WITH filter change.
And thats what I do. Ive posted pics of the oil level on dipstick. (then driving and letting it sit overnight) and it is indeed above the FULL mark on my blade style dipstick.
Ive done well over 30 oil changes on my unit. I also measure what comes out.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
what does the manual say for the 2019's.
my 2010 says 5.5 qts WITH filter change.
And thats what I do. Ive posted pics of the oil level on dipstick. (then driving and letting it sit overnight) and it is indeed above the FULL mark on my blade style dipstick.
Ive done well over 30 oil changes on my unit. I also measure what comes out.
2019 Owners Manual:
Engine Oil with Filter
2.0L L4 Engine 4.7 L 5.0 qt
3.6L V6 Engine 5.7 L 6.0 qt

OP still hasn't told us exactly HOW he determined that he was a 1/2 qt low. If he's just reading the dipstick, I suspect it's wrong/inaccurate, as yours was.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2019 Owners Manual:
Engine Oil with Filter
2.0L L4 Engine 4.7 L 5.0 qt
3.6L V6 Engine 5.7 L 6.0 qt

OP still hasn't told us exactly HOW he determined that he was a 1/2 qt low. If he's just reading the dipstick, I suspect it's wrong/inaccurate, as yours was.
I went back to the oil change place and after adding half a quart the dipstick was full. Before it was on the half-full area on the stick

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I went back to the oil change place and after adding half a quart the dipstick was full. Before it was on the half-full area on the stick
OK, but as we've said previously, unless you drain and refill, and know you've added 6 qts, you don't truly know WHERE the oil should be on the dipstick. You may very well be running on 6-1/2 qts now. But you won't know until you drain/refill and THEN check the dipstick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts