Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this letter from good ole Chris at a Chevy dealership wanting to buy my 15 Traverse with less than 65,000 miles . Stated, and I quote, "Agreement to sell current vehicle"

Vehicle Purchase Agreement
Chevrolet Traverse....

Current Market Value.....$8,725

Bill of Estimated Sale....

Our Purchase Amount....$12,625

This is a totally unsolicited offer.

Scuze my egnertz Beloveds, but why would someone want to buy this beast for 4 grand more than it's worth?

Guess I'll call good ole Chris & ask him the same question.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hmmmm...Maybe they plan to make up the delta on the selling price of the vehicle they try to get you to buy?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
First, go to Kelly Blue Book and verify their "current market value." I think you'll be surprised.

In my neck of the woods, KBB says a 2015 LT in "good" condition, with standard options, 65K miles, colored blue, has a trade-in value of $10,678 to $13,083. "Very Good" condition ups it about $700 to $11,376 to $13,795.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I paid over 50k CAD for my 2LT 5 years ago. It is not good enough trading it for a Chevy Spark? I guess I am stuck with the Traverse for a while, even though this beast has such a long list of potential problems. Well, I usually keep my vehicles at least 10 years, except the 95 Ford Explorer that I traded in for a Safari in 1998 (still has it as a garbage hauler in town) and the Malibu that got rear ended when it was 5 years old.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Green, your right.... I do that, check the KKB & NADA book, from time to time. Bought this LS back in 18 with 44K + miles on it for $16,400 total.
Believe I'll call good ole Chris and tell him for $13k this thing is yours. Been looking at the Highlanders & Pilots. Not that the Traverse is a bad vehicle its just that there are so many "blind" spots I gotta real problem backing up. I'm gonna wreak this thing if I keep it. Also, been reading about so many timing chain problems, and also, transmission problems.
The backup camera is a Joke. Guess I should have found this Forum before I bought.

Super; What is "CAD"?

Speaking of keeping a vehicle? I went from a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager, bought it new, with 283k on it to this 15 Traverse.
Only reason I did that is 1 day I decided to "fix" the Plymouth....it wasn't broke to begin with. Anyway, I changed out all sensors & replaced the timing chain & gears. Hasn't run since. Gonna get back on it this winter when it cools off a bit. Will start and run but missing on 2 cylinders. It's 180 degrees outta time.

That van is ,was, the best driving and riding vehicle we ever owned. Wife almost divorced me for "fixing" her van.

Had the tranny rebuilt at 164k. Nothing done to engine, burns about quart and half of 10w-30 between oil changes at 4500 miles.

One more thing, don't buy sensors off of Ebay or Amazon, bad stuff. Pay the price at O'Reilleys or Autozone.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
CAD = Canadian Dollars

My wife had 3 Dodge Grand Caravans: an 87, 92 and 99. All three of them needed new tranny's at around 30K. The 87 had a head gasket leak and a blown AC compressor. The 92 had some kind of gas leak; never found it, but traded it for the 99. Unfortunately, they were really the only really full size mini-van around at the time. But when it was time to replace the 99, we got a 2006 Honda Odyssey. It was a much better car.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeah Green, your right.... I do that, check the KKB & NADA book, from time to time. Bought this LS back in 18 with 44K + miles on it for $16,400 total.
Believe I'll call good ole Chris and tell him for $13k this thing is yours. Been looking at the Highlanders & Pilots. Not that the Traverse is a bad vehicle its just that there are so many "blind" spots I gotta real problem backing up. I'm gonna wreak this thing if I keep it. Also, been reading about so many timing chain problems, and also, transmission problems.
The backup camera is a Joke. Guess I should have found this Forum before I bought.

Super; What is "CAD"?

Speaking of keeping a vehicle? I went from a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager, bought it new, with 283k on it to this 15 Traverse.
Only reason I did that is 1 day I decided to "fix" the Plymouth....it wasn't broke to begin with. Anyway, I changed out all sensors & replaced the timing chain & gears. Hasn't run since. Gonna get back on it this winter when it cools off a bit. Will start and run but missing on 2 cylinders. It's 180 degrees outta time.

That van is ,was, the best driving and riding vehicle we ever owned. Wife almost divorced me for "fixing" her van.

Had the tranny rebuilt at 164k. Nothing done to engine, burns about quart and half of 10w-30 between oil changes at 4500 miles.

One more thing, don't buy sensors off of Ebay or Amazon, bad stuff. Pay the price at O'Reilleys or Autozone.
Do your research. I've been on the Pilot forum for a while, they have some issues of their own. I'd wager the Highlander does as well, and if you are looking new this is the first model year for the current gen, always a red flag. Also, the Highlander has a kid only third row if that matters to you.

I'd give the Palisade/Telluride a pretty serious look if I were in the market right now. I am also intrigued by the Durango but that's because I want an R/T so I can haul the kids and have some horsepower.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Got this letter from good ole Chris at a Chevy dealership wanting to buy my 15 Traverse with less than 65,000 miles . Stated, and I quote, "Agreement to sell current vehicle"

Vehicle Purchase Agreement
Chevrolet Traverse....

Current Market Value.....$8,725

Bill of Estimated Sale....

Our Purchase Amount....$12,625

This is a totally unsolicited offer.

Scuze my egnertz Beloveds, but why would someone want to buy this beast for 4 grand more than it's worth?

Guess I'll call good ole Chris & ask him the same question.
The letter has done what it was intended to do which is grab your attention like bait to a fish. Notice everyone is suggesting you do your homework before selling but no one is saying why? Dealers don't by cars over trade in price and once you enter the dealership you have been hooked by the bait and the smell of new, with the same or lower payment becomes hard to say no to. If your seriously looking for a new car do your homework and find the best deal on the new car you want then factor in your realistic trade value, and tax savings from the trade into the deal.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
And if they have offered to buy your car outright they must figure they can sell it for more than that. Also if you sell you most likely got to buy another something. Got you again now that prices are up .I bought my Traverse on June 1st just before prices began to climb. However if my 2001 Astro wasn't dissolving in front of my eyes I would still have it..

·
Registered
96 Posts
And if they have offered to buy your car outright they must figure they can sell it for more than that. Also if you sell you most likely got to buy another something. Got you again now that prices are up .I bought my Traverse on June 1st just before prices began to climb. However if my 2001 Astro wasn't dissolving in front of my eyes I would still have it..
Ha ha, I still have my 98 Safari but lots of zip ties on it now. The 95 Astro lasted 17 years and had to let go of it for safety reasons because my kids were still young back then. Love the vehicles.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the top of the page right under my name and address the "Agreement to Sell Vehicle". Under that is this;" You understand and agree The Sale of the Vehicle to us is a Final Sale and is in no way connected to any purchase by you of a vehicle from AutoWorld Chevrolet".

Now in the middle of the page is this: Bill of Estimated Sale...........Am eligible for +10,000 of MSRP also, O% APR eligible.

Gonna call good ole Chris and see if he will go for 13k.....if so, it's his.

·
Registered
679 Posts
At the top of the page right under my name and address the "Agreement to Sell Vehicle". Under that is this;" You understand and agree The Sale of the Vehicle to us is a Final Sale and is in no way connected to any purchase by you of a vehicle from AutoWorld Chevrolet".

Now in the middle of the page is this: Bill of Estimated Sale...........Am eligible for +10,000 of MSRP also, O% APR eligible.

Gonna call good ole Chris and see if he will go for 13k.....if so, it's his.
Let us know what happens! The 3 row crossover market is a great market to buy in right now, lots of great options and innovation since it's a popular segment.

·
Registered
147 Posts
$10000 off MSRP is a joke. Delears barely ever sell for MSRP and as a Chevy dealer you are agreeing to take the $10k off MSRP vs getting $10k in rebates off your lowest negotiated price. Basically all Chevrolet vehcies are for example listed for an MSRP $45k but always have this magical dealer off incentive of $10k. What they don't tell you is $35k is the real selling price and there are incentives usually worth an additional $8k that you will waive/forfeit to the dealer by taking the $10k off the MSRP. The best deal must include getting the vehicle for dealer invoice, minus incentives, minus trade in value. Anything above that and your not winning. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I talked to good ole Mike,at the dealership, seems that ole Chris was out on the lot appraising a vehicle. Told Mike to tell Chris for 13k it's his. Mike said; Can I bring it in now?

Also, ask Mike the difference tween the "value $8700 and the offer $12,000. He said;" they are in need of used vehicles".

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I talked to good ole Mike,at the dealership, seems that ole Chris was out on the lot appraising a vehicle. Told Mike to tell Chris for 13k it's his. Mike said; Can I bring it in now?

Also, ask Mike the difference tween the "value $8700 and the offer $12,000. He said;" they are in need of used vehicles".
"Mike said; Can I bring it in now?" funny how that is the only thing he wanted to know but didn't answer any other questions?? Warning, warning, warning.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IH8S; have no intention of buying a new vehicle, but I just might sell them the Traverse.

Have only bought 3 new vehicles in my long life; 66 Mustang for $2900, was all the money in the world at that time, a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager for $20,000, and a 01 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6 speed for $30,000.

Used vehicles before and since, don't like to take the "hickey" when they're driven off the lot.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agreed, I'm hoping to hear you did sell it to them and made a buck.

Updated to add I just got a letter to bring my daughters car in to be purchased outright or trade. . I get these all the time but the timing...

·
Registered
679 Posts
My cousin just got one of these letters on his Altima that was 2 years old... well they got him in a new Altima, upped the payment $30 and extended him out 3 years... he couldn't understand why I was telling him this wasn't some great deal.

If they will buy it from you for a great price then you are free to find a deal on a different vehicle, go for it! But don't be suckered like my cousin. He's been rolling cars into new cars and longer payments for 10 years now, just because sometimes the payment goes down doesn't mean you win when they extend you out another couple years.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Many (most?) people buy based on the monthly payment; irrespective of how long they will have to make that payment. They never really look at what the total cost will be.

That's why every car advertisement you see never tells you the total price (or if it does, it buried in the small print at the bottom.

I've seen lots of motorhome buyers purchase on 15 yrs loans. That's crazy. It will sit in the driveway most of those 15 yrs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I feel ill if I take a 5 year loan, I know a guy who just bought a pickup on an 8 year loan. I find it criminal but the creditors allow it so I guess I'm in the minority.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts