Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't name the (Beavercreek Ohio) dealership... but I want to pass it along... Something to REALLY watch for.

When our 2018 High Country had its LAST "Free" oil change... a few days later the warning light for low oil level flashed a couple times. When I pulled the dipstick --- there wasn't a drop on it! The Dealership had short filled the oil by TWO FULL QUARTS.

A few days ago, I did a transmission fluid change and was curious when I only got just under FOUR quarts of fluid in the drain pan. I put in exactly the amount I had drained out and drove a few days. The same dealership did a major warranty repair on the transmission just before the factory warranty expired. This weekend, I installed new front brakes and decided to check the sight plug level while the wheel was pulled. AND THE TRANNY TOOK ALMOST TWO FULL QUARTS MORE TRANSMISSION FLUID!!!!!

If you say that's coincidence... I have a bridge deed to sell you. Buyer beware applies to the Service Department too!

·
Registered
2019 Traverse Premier Redline
2 Posts
Listen to this….closed on my 2019 Redline last Thursday. Certified Pre-Owned, I was told a STRICT 172 inspection is done on certified cars at this Danvers, MA Chevy Dealer. I had two concerns, the tread and the brakes all around. I Goto sign, all they did was put wipers on. That’s it. I sign, take the car for inspection, and the mechanic said the brakes were horrible, and they were.

I call dealership 5 days later, want and appointment and tell them why. I brought it in this past Saturday morning. The finance manager, sales guy, and used car manager all walk up to me at the same time. The apologies started flowing. “We are gonna find out who the tech was that inspected your car, and we apologize again that the car shoulda never been given to you like this”. 4 new tires, brakes all around, and 4 hours later I’m back home and the car feels 100 times better. Now that I’m here reading this forum, and your post specifically, I think I’m gonna go back again and request the car be inspected 100% fully again. Even though they did what they did, I want the entire inspection done again. This is a new day for dealers, as their pushing mostly all used cars these days bc of the chip bullshit. You know **** well they don’t wanna spend money on used cars, and most dealers here in Massachusetts don’t even negotiate any more. The price is the price, and that’s it.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
This stuff never happens at independent shops though, right?
Indy's are worse than the dealer with screw ups by a mile.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Don't trust - always verify. It's not like you have to be able to replace a timing belt in order to look at a few things, check fluid levels, etc.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
579 Posts
This stuff never happens at independent shops though, right?
Indy's are worse than the dealer with screw ups by a mile.
I'll take my chances with an indy who's been doing it for 20+ years, over a dealer with tech turnover these days in the months of experience range. Way too many horror stories of green techs learning things the hard way.

That said I'll give a nod to my local dealer and say that while I rarely use them for anything but the 1 free oil change, alignments, and recall work, they've always done a solid job and I'm anal enough to notice. They actually replaced the 1-time use TTY bolts when the aligned my SS Sedan (many places don't). So they're not all bad. But I do know of more than a few SS owners who have had their LS3 underfilled with 6 quarts at a dealer oil change instead of 8.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
I will trust a dealer over an indy as there is another level of oversight on them and their franchise.
Took my Malibu to an indy for an alignment, they never put a wrench on it. Pulled and drove the same after that great service.
Worked for an indy years ago, that's where I learned how to spray paint an alternator or starter, tighten a fan belt and toss the charger on the battery and charge customer for parts and labor.
I've seen Sears auto do an oil change and not put oil back in, multiple times, and that includes driving vehicle out of the bay into the parking lot for pick up, not to mention dropping cars off lifts at least once a year. I used to work for them in another dept. and was forced to use them for the Co. vehicles and had it done to the Co. vehicles also.
Tire shops are the worst, my dealer price match's local shops as I use them for tires now. Had a local shop scratch and dig up my old Mustangs rims that were factory pristine. Last 2 dealer tire purchases the rims on both vehicles done came back the same way they went in. I only use the local guy now for trailer tires or a beaters tire.
Unless you do it yourself nobody can be trusted is my point. And as said prev. verify the work done and always pull that dipstick and check it.
If you have a good shop stick with them, I've got a ton of indy hack shops around me and a good dealer. You get what you pay for.

• Haha
Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, the indy's around me all have much better reputations than the dealers. The dealers roll out the parts cannon and have 18 year old kids with snot dripping from their nose doing all the work while the indy's actually have people who take pride in their work and consider themselves craftsmen.

I guess it's different in each area.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm still baffled by the state law that makes the owner the scapegoat and liable for the ineptness of a dealer's employee! I couldn't believe it when I saw that story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts