Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you are using the Mobil 1 oil filter? I have used them for years on all of my cars except the Traverse. I was concerned about a warranty issue if GM finds a non oem filter on it. My oil analysis shows that the PF48 is doing a good job but in my opinion the Mobil 1 is a better filter. My dealer said that its OK to do the OC myself, I just need to keep receipts, use the AC Delco filter and Mobil 1 oil is OK to use per GM. I took it all with a grain of salt knowing its coming from the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
kawazar, I use Mobil1 and an M113 oil filter, I like it and I have used this combo since I 1st changed the oil after the factory fill. I will use this combo as long as I own the OUTLOOK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
kawazar said:
My oil analysis shows that the PF48 is doing a good job but in my opinion the Mobil 1 is a better filter. My dealer said that its OK to do the OC myself, I just need to keep receipts, use the AC Delco filter and Mobil 1 oil
There has been a recently posted 8k mile UOA for an 09 Acadia engine. The wear #s were very good and this individual had used the M1 filter.

So of course the question that arises is this: Can one replace the OEM PF48 with an aftermarket filter such as....the highly regarded M1-113?

Well I guess first one would need to verify that this oil filter does meet the OEM specifications. The fact that an aftermarket manufacturer lists a filter as fitting our Lambda I guess does not necessarily mean it meets the OEM specs. And there's the rub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
I was wondering how many of you are using the Mobil 1 oil filter? I have used them for years on all of my cars except the Traverse. I was concerned about a warranty issue if GM finds a non oem filter on it. My oil analysis shows that the PF48 is doing a good job but in my opinion the Mobil 1 is a better filter. My dealer said that its OK to do the OC myself, I just need to keep receipts, use the AC Delco filter and Mobil 1 oil is OK to use per GM. I took it all with a grain of salt knowing its coming from the dealer.
"I took it all with a grain of salt knowing its coming from the dealer".

Perhaps you should speak with someone who is managing customer service within GM. Your comment is pretty harsh.

Bob ....35 years with GM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Considering the grief I had getting warranty service on my Corvette I think your concern is justified. While you may have no trouble at all, aftermarket oil and air filters have been blamed for all sorts of failures. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is all fine to wave around at the dealership but that plus $2 gets you a cup of coffee. The point being, who has the time or money to take GM to court if they do deny your warranty because of this? I'd only risk it if I was convinced the non-OEM replacement was substantially better (or I was out of warranty).

Bob, you seem like a reasonable fellow but you most certainly do NOT represent the Chevy service managers I banged heads with nor GM's corporate leave-it-to-the service-manager attitude I encountered. Dealers ("stealerships") worked hard to get their bad reputation. His comment is only half as harsh as my experience. And lest you think me hard to please, my local BMW dealers (both car and bike) have always satisfied me despite having the same number of warranty issues as any of my other new vehicles (more issues, in the case of the bikes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I meant by the comment is that a dealer will only recommend their parts. No matter what it is, from brakes to a filter, from an american car to motorcycle they will always say you should use their parts. I in no way was downgrading GM. Heck, I bought one of their products. The dealer said I have to use AC Delco to maintain the warranty. That statement was from the dealer, so I took it with a grain of salt until its shown to me that I need to use an AC Delco filter. I do believe that some dealers/manufacturers will use any excuse not to cover an expensive warranty repair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
What I meant by the comment is that a dealer will only recommend their parts. No matter what it is, from brakes to a filter, from an american car to motorcycle they will always say you should use their parts. I in no way was downgrading GM. Heck, I bought one of their products. The dealer said I have to use AC Delco to maintain the warranty. That statement was from the dealer, so I took it with a grain of salt until its shown to me that I need to use an AC Delco filter. I do believe that some dealers/manufacturers will use any excuse not to cover an expensive warranty repair.
Kawazar, Ok, now I understand what you were saying.

The GM warranty system is designed around GM parts. Whether the vehicle is in warranty or out of warranty, you do get a parts and labor warranty when using GM parts.

The "pricing" of the parts can be difficult to sometimes swallow, GM "suggests" a nominal mark up, however, some dealers can get "over the top" with their ideas, thereby causing wars between customers and service and/ or parts personnel.

The dealer principal is a guy who normally has a heavy sales background, but not a clue as to how to manage or promote anything of value in the service/parts arena. That, my friends, is the problem.

There are exclusions to warranty repairs .....the service manager better be in agreement with the factory ASM ( area service manager ) and the folks in customer service before a "no" is handed out to the customer.

Let's say, your M1 filter is on your Traverse, the filter springs a leak, the engine is damaged. GM would not need to foot the bill, and rightfully so. It wasn't the failure of GM. I don't recall if you'll find specific verbage about an AC oil filter, but I would bet the P&P manual ( policy & procedure manual ) would address that subject of GM parts, in detail. The P&P manual is a dealer instrument, not a hand out to the general public.

Hope this helps.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
"Bob, you seem like a reasonable fellow but you most certainly do NOT represent the Chevy service managers I banged heads with nor GM's corporate leave-it-to-the service-manager attitude I encountered. Dealers ("stealerships") worked hard to get their bad reputation. His comment is only half as harsh as my experience. And lest you think me hard to please, my local BMW dealers (both car and bike) have always satisfied me despite having the same number of warranty issues as any of my other new vehicles (more issues, in the case of the bikes)."


Never did I say or imply that I represented anyone, certainly not any Chevy Service Manager. Depending on circumstances, decisions on warranty repairs can involve corporate customer service, factory ASM's and the individual service manager. In a cut and dry situation, the service manager may make his own judgment, but the service manager would want everyone on the same page, if there could be a misinterpretation of something within the warranty repair.

Enough said here.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Let's say, your M1 filter is on your Traverse, the filter springs a leak, the engine is damaged. GM would not need to foot the bill, and rightfully so. It wasn't the failure of GM. I don't recall if you'll find specific verbage about an AC oil filter, but I would bet the P&P manual ( policy & procedure manual ) would address that subject of GM parts, in detail. The P&P manual is a dealer instrument, not a hand out to the general public".

Thanks Bob!

That is where I was going with this. There have been debates for years over this subject, covering warranty repairs when using non-oem maintenance parts, whether or not the non-oem part caused it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Let's say, your M1 filter is on your Traverse, the filter springs a leak, the engine is damaged. GM would not need to foot the bill, and rightfully so. It wasn't the failure of GM.
Lets take this example a bit further.

I believe that kawazar does his own oil changes and up till now he has used only the OEM PF48. Say his PF48 "springs a leak" I can envision that some service managers might claim that it wasnt the part that was at fault but rather kawazar's installation of the filter! :eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
Lets take this example a bit further.

I believe that kawazar does his own oil changes and up till now he has used only the OEM PF48. Say his PF48 "springs a leak" I can envision that some service managers might claim that it wasnt the part that was at fault but rather kawazar's installation of the filter!
I guess anything could happen, but I do believe a mindful service manager would examine the failed part and come to the proper conclusion. Keep in mind, those parts, such as the filter, are kept fot the ASM to inspect, if a problem should arise. A service manager would feel much better being a "hero", ratrher than a "horses behind".

It would make no sense, with the evidence there, for a service manager to step on his "who who" and make an a$$ out of himself, in front of the ASM and factory ( Chevrolet ).

There is a lot of ongoing training and schooling involved with Chevy service managers, most of the managers take their profession very seriously, with some degree of pride. There is always the exception to the rule, however, the service manager does not want to face the consequences, if he makes a "bad call". He does have folks to answer to, he's NOT his own boss in the Chevrolet arena.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
6Sixathome said:
kawazar, I use Mobil1 and an M1-113 oil filter, I like it and I have used this combo since I 1st changed the oil after the factory fill. I will use this combo as long as I own the OUTLOOK.
I just checked the box for this M1 filter. FWIW it says "All new car warranties remain in effect when Mobil 1 oil filters are used."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
I just checked the box for this M1 filter. FWIW it says "All new car warranties remain in effect when Mobil 1 oil filters are used."
Yes, the M1 box may state that ..... get that in writing from Chevrolet. If a M1 filter springs a leak .....is Chevy going to back the engine replacement under warranty? :help:

Let me know how that works out.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
I don't know how everyone else's service department is structured. But I made a decision today based on how this thread is going.

My dealer will comp the labor on oil changes for as long as I own this Traverse. I pay for GM oil and GM filters (less than $20) and that's it. When I change to synthetic, the same deal applies (although more expensive).

Regardless of what a (Mobil 1) package claims, why risk voiding the warranty if you don't have to? If GM is willing to stand behind their parts I'm going to let them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
I don't know how everyone else's service department is structured. But I made a decision today based on how this thread is going.

My dealer will comp the labor on oil changes for as long as I own this Traverse. I pay for GM oil and GM filters (less than $20) and that's it. When I change to synthetic, the same deal applies (although more expensive).

Regardless of what a (Mobil 1) package claims, why risk voiding the warranty if you don't have to? If GM is willing to stand behind their parts I'm going to let them.
I agree with your decision. If the AC oil filter is good enough to keep the vehicle under its' 5yr/100K warranty, then it is fine for me.

During my GM days, I saw GM make warranty decisions on a daily basis, I'm not going to take chances with non GM products, based on my actual experiences.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After reading all of this input, I'll stay with the GM filter during the warranty period as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
??? What did I do to get that reply? :-\
Nooooo, you did nothing to get that reply.

Allow me to go again here...... M1 can put whatever they care to on their packaging box ...... if a failure would occur within the engine and the failure is a result of the M1 filter leaking the oil out ....I think you're on a very thin branch way up in a tree. Thus the " let me know how that works out".

Call GM, ask them if they will cover warranty rerpairs, due to an M1 failure.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
i will not use AC parts for oil changes mainly because it's a PITA to get to a dealership to buy them, plus they do rip you off on prices. An oil filter is pretty much an oil filter these days (yes some are better than others but they all do the job) and i'll pay $4 for a fram at walmart while i'm there anyway and not worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
splat10 said:
i will not use AC parts for oil changes mainly because it's a PITA to get to a dealership to buy them,
I thought you guys (ie Americans) could obtain AC Delco parts at a variety of retailers ???. We Canadians can only obtain such OEM parts at a GM dealership.

splat10 said:
plus they do rip you off on prices.
A PF48 filter at a Canadian GM dealership costs at least $12 plus taxes ::)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top