Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull the intake off my daughters BMW 328i over the weekend to service one of the servo's in the intake manifold. This is obviously a non GDI engine. At 150k miles.... it's spotless.
How much performance / mileage / reduced emissions can GDI be giving you, to make it worth all the hassle? These BMW motors go 300k + miles.
I wish the GM High Feature V6 was not a GDI platform....
( Oil is M1 0w/40 Euro Blend)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yuppppp... gotta love GDI. Unfortunately your non GDI choices become fewer each year.

And IDK if it does anything for emissions, some areas in the world require particulate filters for GDI but not for port injection...

My dad and I are about to take on my grandmothers E46 325i convertible. 163k. It needs some work but man is that I6 smooth as silk when moving.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's probably a lot better than average. I have pulled a few LS heads at sub 50k miles and you already had some buildup of oil/carbon in the ports. Granted the valves are still fairly clean in comparison to GDI. But you still get blowby and PCV vapors into the intake building up a sludge. Just that the injector spraying on the intake valve at least cleans it off somewhat (but not completely).

·
Registered
60 Posts
And then
After the carbon builds up on GDI intake valves

Some of ithe carbon falls off the valves and into combustion chamber.. thus creating oil consumption issues... burning of oil, a problem made worse by GDI engines

·
Registered
12 Posts
And then
After the carbon builds up on GDI intake valves

Some of ithe carbon falls off the valves and into combustion chamber.. thus creating oil consumption issues... burning of oil, a problem made worse by GDI engines
For carbon to fall the intake valves in any appreciable amount the contamination would have to be significant. Any large particulates would be sent out the exhaust. The small occurrence will not cause oil consumption. The issue for GDI engines is the soot created by these engines from incomplete combustion, which is very fine and will be washed past the rings into the oil. This has been known by the manufacturers for years. They have come out with API SP and GF-6 oil standards with new tests for soot wear on timing chains and combustion chambers. The new formulations will start to increase additives similar to diesel engine oils. Current GDI engines now produce more polluting hard particulates than diesels, and the EPA has said they will be required exhaust filters to deal with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts