Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
make sure oil level is up.
Youre using an oil filter with an anti drain back valve. (name brand will have them- Like an AC DELCO).
See if that helps

·
Registered
933 Posts
Lifters?

The High Feature V6 is a DOHC engine, no lifters or pushrods.

What year is your Traverse?

What exactly is the noise, what does it sound like?

Can you tell where it's located?

Do you have any check engine lights?

·
Registered
11 Posts
He may be referring to the Electric Fuel Pump tick, which is normal. My '21 makes a slight tick when first starting . I too thought it was lifter's at first. The tick comes off the left side of the engine .

·
Registered
933 Posts
Except I asked 4 different questions to try and help and got a year and one word as the answer to all of them.

Oh well, I tried.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Given the little information provided and my experience with timing chain vehicles, my bet is on the timing chain tensioner(s) being bad. They lose tension overnight and take time to build proper tension so the chain is making contact with something to make a noise similar to noisy lifters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run a towing company and most people with a 1st gen Traverse talk of the “lifter tick at startup “ before the timing chain goes. My understanding is it’s cheaper to have it checked and done while it’s still running than to get it done after the chain breaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run a towing company and most people with a 1st gen Traverse talk of the “lifter tick at startup “ before the timing chain goes. My understanding is it’s cheaper to have it checked and done while it’s still running than to get it done after the chain breaks.
The guy I bought it from said he changed the timing chain and tensioner
Lifters?

The High Feature V6 is a DOHC engine, no lifters or pushrods.

What year is your Traverse?

What exactly is the noise, what does it sound like?

Can you tell where it's located?

Do you have any check engine lights?
2009 with new timing chain

1 - 14 of 14 Posts