Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so they announced no shutdown for summer break at the plants since GM products are selling so well...

What surprised me about the pic--- is that Traverse and Acadias (and im sure Enclaves) are built on the same line...
(I thought maybe each model- had its own line)... but seems they are built on the same line as shown in the picture...

Reminds me of pics Ive seen of 1970 Monte Carlos coming down the line with Chevelles.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hehe-- found the pic I saw years ago... (I like Monte Carlo's--- have one at home)..

·
Registered
47 Posts
having spent a fair share of time in manufacturing plants (i used to be a design engineer for a Tier 1 suppler - Antennas) the lines are very flexible. All lamdas are basically the same car with different parts that are put on in the same order. Each installer has a "station" with the different parts that they would deal with (options, trim levels, and brands) and a screen that tells them what vin they are making, what parts it gets, and they have to bar code scan each part as they pick it to let the line computer verify they have all the right parts.

It's looks incredibly complex but isn't. The biggest wow i ever saw was the Ford 500, Mercury version (i forget what it was called), and the Freestyle were all the same platform and made on the same line in Chicago. The 500 and Freestyle looked like they had nothing in comon but the tooling was all the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts