Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

'13 Traverse, my wife was accelerating and she got the dreaded 'service stabilitrak' 'reduced engine power' and dropped her down from 80k/h to 30k/h. Limped it home and DTC low fuel pressure. Psi from the tank to rail is 45-48psi ignition on engine off. Traverse will crank but not fire. Psi seems low to me so could it be electric fuel pump, fuel module, or a whole bunch of other sensors...thoughts? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your Traverse is direct injection, which basically breaks down to two separate fuel systems. High and low pressure. You have tank-to-high pressure pump, and high pressure pump to fuel injector. You didn't specify which low fuel pressure DTC so I am going to assume its the high pressure DTC for now. Check out Boschs website explaining how the system works. This site is not allowing me to post links, so just Google "Bosch 3.6 fuel injection" and click the first link. It explains how the system works. This may help you diagnose your problem.

There is a fuel pressure sending unit connected to the fuel rail that is accessible only by removing the intake manifold. This may or may not be your problem as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code says low fuel rail pressure P006C. However, the rail pressure is 60-65psi ignition on engine off and maintains that pressure while cranking but no start? I replaced the FSCM and now the pump won't prime. I think that the new FSCM has to be programmed to the computer but I don't know if that requires the dealer? Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your fuel rail pressure should be about 700 PSI at idle. The fuel tank pressure should be between 40 and 45 PSI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What should the rail pressure be at cranking and not idle? If the rail pressure at cranking is only 70psi, would that be a faulty high pressure mechanical pump that sits on the rail?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That I dont know. Im sure that spec can be found online. Those mechanical pumps rarely go bad so i would check the sensor on the rail first. The pump could be functioning fine but the PCM is preventing the engine from starting because of the bad sensor. The only way to get to it is by removing the intake manifold. Its right in the middle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info...just to confirm, a bad fuel pressure sensor (fuel rail) could cause the no start even though everything is up to par?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, absolutely. A bad sending unit will send erroneous data to the PCM causing a fuel shutdown. Diagnose the cheap parts first then move on to the pump, because the pump is pretty expensive. It's bolted to the right side of the engine, just underneath the air snorkel and has a plastic cover on it. Just be careful of the high pressures and voltages involved. Be sure to disconnect the battery and relieve the system pressure before servicing. I have a subscription to AlldataDIY and it has been proven invaluable, so that can help you too.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Also- the parts to the High pressure fuel pump are 1 use only.
Once you disconnect , you cant reuse some of those connections (high pressure leaks).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New fuel rail pressure sensor with no luck. I also purchased a new FSCM due to my research, however, it needs to go to the dealer for programming.... I will tow it there tomorrow, have them start with programming it, if it is not the FSCM. I will update when I know, thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, dealer has just diagnosed that it is the high pressure fuel pump? I feel that it it quite premature at only 110,000km? $1500 CAD later and it will operate like it used to. Thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts