Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to work and all the sounds in my traverse went away. I left work the next morning and everything was fine. Noticed when I got home that the floor on the passenger side was drenched!!! Called and got it into the dealership. They said I had holes in my firewall?!?!?!?!? I'm a girl so that meant like nothing to me. They called the next day said it was fixed I could come get it. So my husband and I make the hour drive over to get it. I am 10 miles from home and all the sound in my vehicle is gone again. I figured it would come back the next morning when I woke up. It's been 2 days and still nothing. My radio screen works, my blinkers blink, everything is on and working. I just have no sound. My back up cam doesn't beep, my doors don't chime. Idk what is going on but I'm frustrated... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish I could help, but I have no idea what's back there. Did you Menton it to the dealer? I assume they fixed the hole under warranty? How did you get a hole in the firewall?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the reason I initially took it in. And of course just like when u go to the doctor it was fine. They said the hole was a factory default. They fixed the hole. And I haven't had any problems. Other than now my sounds just plain don't work. I took it to a dealer I have never been to before. I should have known better. But my dealer is 2 and half hours away. and I didnt want to take it all the way there.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Starr0609 said:
That's the reason I initially took it in. And of course just like when u go to the doctor it was fine. They said the hole was a factory default. They fixed the hole. And I haven't had any problems. Other than now my sounds just plain don't work. I took it to a dealer I have never been to before. I should have known better. But my dealer is 2 and half hours away. and I didnt want to take it all the way there.
Starr0609,

I apologize for the lack of sound in your Traverse. I'd be more than happy to see what I can do to assist you if you PM me. We want you to feel like your vehicle is operating as it was designed to and are willing to exhaust all measures to ensure that we can make it right. Feel free to contact me privately if necessary.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Could be the amplifier which is known to go bad. They sometimes stop and start again, but eventually stop altogether. Do a search on the various boards about the amplifier. Your water intrusion may have just been a coincidence and not have had anything to do with the sound problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ls973800 said:
Could be the amplifier which is known to go bad. They sometimes stop and start again, but eventually stop altogether. Do a search on the various boards about the amplifier. Your water intrusion may have just been a coincidence and not have had anything to do with the sound problem.
Actually it has happened before. So I can see that! Thank you for your post. I am frustrated. I love music. And I especially love listening to music while driving. I will have to look into the amplifier.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
The hole in the firewall may have been a little too 'descriptive'.... that is- they just open their mouths and talk....

I believe what most likely happened... and since they said its from the factory.....

is probably related to this... gap in the panels allowing water in.

Water Intrusion- Engine Running with Key off.

This information supplements an article in the March 2008 TechLink entitled Engine Running With Key Turned Off, which involves voltage on circuit 5985 with the key turned off. The condition described below can be a cause of this voltage.

The owner of an Acadia, Enclave or Outlook may comment that the engine continues to run after the ignition is turned off, or that the engine will not start. This may be the result of water intruding into the instrument panel (IP) BEC. Before proceeding with other diagnosis and repairs, here are some suggestions.

Water from the right front sunroof drain hose exits the vehicle (fig. 13). If it then re-enters the vehicle through the front of dash sheet metal, it can drip from the right side dash onto the IP BEC.

AÂ Â Water exits through drain hose

BÂ Â Water reenters and drips onto IP BEC from sheet metal

The seam must be properly sealed between the plenum upper and plenum reinforcement. This may be inspected from underhood through the opening in the cowl panel

If there are voids in the bead of sealant, use medium-bodied sealant p/n 12378500 to reseal.

The area to be sealed may be reached through two openings, and the seam must be sealed for its entire length (fig. 15).

AÂ Â Access opening

BÂ Â Access opening

CÂ Â Length of seam sealÂ

TIP:Â Sealant may be applied with the fingertip or with a plastic trim tool.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Don't worry to much about water it's not a very good amplifier in the first place. The bad part is most after market ones will not fit it it's space so you have to re-locate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your reply. The water problem has been fixed. Now, we need to figure out the sound issue. I am going to call the dealership which I got it from and have gotten all but 1 of my vehicles from. And see if theycan't help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I suspect you'd have mentioned it, but is there a message in the DIC (on the dash) that says something like "Park Assist Off"??? I have an aftermarket Sirius and Bluetooth setup and this (no sound) sometimes happens to me, but I do get that message.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
What year and model is this vehicle with the water and sound issue?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Starr0609 said:
Thank you for your reply. The water problem has been fixed. Now, we need to figure out the sound issue. I am going to call the dealership which I got it from and have gotten all but 1 of my vehicles from. And see if theycan't help.
You're welcome,

Glad to hear about the water concern. Please keep us updated and contact us if further assistance is needed.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kemosabe said:
I suspect you'd have mentioned it, but is there a message in the DIC (on the dash) that says something like "Park Assist Off"??? I have an aftermarket Sirius and Bluetooth setup and this (no sound) sometimes happens to me, but I do get that message.
No nothing like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone found a answer to this problem? I am having the same issue with my 2011 Traverse LT. Everyone I talk to say it is the amp. Want to make sure before I go out and start spending money.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Original post mentioned that the passenger carpet was drenched. Not good. My'12 Avalanche was a submarine with drenched driver and passenger carpets due to numerous leaks in the windshield and weatherstripping.

Not sure about the Traverse layout but if like other GMs there are a lot of sensors and connectors under the front seats and console, also wiring splices in the channels under the door kickplates. Water in the wrong place can short out wiring, corrode sensors/contacts, or possibly damage an amplifier if it creates a direct short in a speaker or subwoofer circuit, airbag fault, etc. It can result in many weird, unrepeatable or untraceable faults. And that sound installation padding can retain a heck of a lot of water and wick it to other areas of the vehicle. Gave up and traded the '12 for fear of related future problems once out of warranty.....my '13 is dry as a bone...sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

I've learned that merely repairing the cause of the leak is not enough, the extent of the leak should be traced, and drying out the area is important to prevent future damage to the electrical system contacts and components that have become wet.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
replaced with aftermarket or OEM?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Where is the Amplifier located
The amp is located under the dash between the parking brake assembly and the body control module. You can replace it yourself if you have some DIY talent but it is a pain to do.

There are several posts in the archives of this forum and the Acadia/Buick forums from people who have replaced their amp and the issues they faced getting to the screws and wiring. Bad amps were more common with the 07-08 MY.

Amps can be purchased online and you will spend about 1/3 of what the dealer will charge. A local audio shop may be less expensive too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts