Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Costco now carries private label synthetic oil ! It's from Warren Industries who private labels more oil than just about anyone. This isn't some kind of cheapo chinese crap either. It's 5w/30 and carries both the "SN Plus" rating from API as well as the "Dexos 1 Gen 2 " from GM. These are the latest specs for 2018+ , direct injection engines.

It's $24.99 for TWO 5 quart jugs ( $2.49 a quart!) This is $5 cheaper than their previous offering. If you drive 18k miles a year and service your car every 6k miles that's only $45 a year in oil! You can't beat that, with a stick! I bought 8 cases (and yes, I do own allot of cars.) Also available in 0w/20 for those who use that...

Here's a little info on it....

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was tempted. But I will keep sticking with M1, sure I'm spending more money but I sleep better at night.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Eh if it meets Dexos...
I KNOW!!!

And one of my favorite youtube channels basically proved it's a good oil. But... well I don't have a good reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That was a great test between cost saving oil companies which has my attention. The second test is how do they stack up against a national brand like Penzoil, Castrol, Mobile ?
Would like to see the comparison ......

·
Registered
480 Posts
That was a great test between cost saving oil companies which has my attention. The second test is how do they stack up against a national brand like Penzoil, Castrol, Mobile ?

He did a whole shootout last year, it included some cheaper oils. The Kirkland oil is relatively new so it wasn't in the shootout but you can compare it's results against Supertech to how Supertech did in the shootout.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...how do they stack up against a national brand like Penzoil, Castrol, Mobile ?
Pick a specific grade oil, classification and ratings.... in any brand you want... and it's all the same stuff.

It's like Beer. It's all wet, and will get you drunk. Some have fancy bottles or slick advertising .. but it's all the same.

Choose a favorite.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Pick a specific grade oil, classification and ratings.... in any brand you want... and it's all the same stuff.

It's like Beer. It's all wet, and will get you drunk. Some have fancy bottles or slick advertising .. but it's all the same.

Choose a favorite.....
I think DI engines are a little pickier/harder on oils. Some new ratings and testing is important to identify which oils are better for GDI engines to prevent oil ingestion via the PCV system. In our port injected Pilot I'd say any synthetic 0W20 is good, but on my Traverse I pick oils with better NOACK ratings and the latest certifications to minimize volatility.

In my Impala I run just about anything available and it doesn't care, but low horsepower old engines run loose and are more forgiving.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is API SN PLUS and DEXOS 1 Gen 2 certified. It's as good as any other oil, carrying those same certs....

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is API SN PLUS and DEXOS 1 Gen 2 certified. It's as good as any other oil, carrying those same certs....

View attachment 9095
Concur, but not all synthetics carry those certs. Even different synthetics within a manufacturer's range don't. For instance, I like using the M1 High Mileage formula based on my research on my older vehicles (like the Traverse). It doesn't carry the Dexos 2 certification but regular Mobil 1 and some of their other products do. Dafuq.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Costco now carries private label synthetic oil ! It's from Warren Industries who private labels more oil than just about anyone. This isn't some kind of cheapo chinese crap either. It's 5w/30 and carries both the "SN Plus" rating from API as well as the "Dexos 1 Gen 2 " from GM. These are the latest specs for 2018+ , direct injection engines.

It's $24.99 for TWO 5 quart jugs ( $2.49 a quart!) This is $5 cheaper than their previous offering. If you drive 18k miles a year and service your car every 6k miles that's only $45 a year in oil! You can't beat that, with a stick! I bought 8 cases (and yes, I do own allot of cars.) Also available in 0w/20 for those who use that...

Here's a little info on it....

[URL Direct inhection engines should have the oil changed at 4K. not 6K. My GM dealer uses the 5K Interval .

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was at Costco today picking up Alcohol and Meat for my totally illegal gathering later today..... the price for this oil is now $22, or $2.22 a quart.

A complete oil change for $13.32. It's like buying one, and getting 5 for free!

·
Registered
621 Posts
That is better than the Walmart Supertech. It comes out to $2.83 if you get the 12 quart case in store or the 5 qt. jug pack of 3 with free delivery. But you don't need to go and buy the membership at costco.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The people watching at Wally World.... is much better. Might make the price difference a moot point.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you watch enough YouTube videos with failed timing chains, one thing is pretty consistent. The motors ran on Dino oil, and were neglected. Look at this crap! You can't blame the GM engineers for this. Use a synthetic, pretty please, with sugar on top. .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts