Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
‘20 Traverse Premier
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a ‘20 Premier back on the 16th of this month. Previously owned brand new ‘12 Town and Country (touring l (POS)). 120k the motor locked up 2 months after the dealer worked on the heads($2k).

Anything to watch out for on this vehicle? it’s at about 950 miles now, the front camera isn’t working or wasnt working 2 days after we brought it home. So when that’s gets serviced I’ll get the oil changed as well.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just recently bought a ‘20 Premier back on the 16th of this month. Previously owned brand new ‘12 Town and Country (touring l (POS)). 120k the motor locked up 2 months after the dealer worked on the heads($2k).

Anything to watch out for on this vehicle? it’s at about 950 miles now, the front camera isn’t working or wasnt working 2 days after we brought it home. So when that’s gets serviced I’ll get the oil changed as well.
Welcome to the forum! Did your T&C have the Pentastar or the old 3.8? The Pentastar has a pretty good reputation from what I understand, it was pretty overbuilt for NA applications since it was intended to receive turbos at some point.

Watch the transmissions behavior, if you are getting some shuddering or vibrations there is a TSB because the fluid may have been overfilled from the factory and there is an upgraded fluid some users have used with success. I know some early 2nd gens had some issues with the shifter but otherwise not too many complaints.

Reactions: ItsHers

·
Registered
‘20 Traverse Premier
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TC was the first gen pentastar 3.6. Never had any problems from it other than dead battery after 6yrs. Then the termostat and lastly the alternator. I changed the brakes as well. I did all of the oil changes and around July this year check engine light came and ride rough. Took it to the dealership to get fixed and 2k later (new head, cam, coil pack, push rod, cam bearings and cam sensor) I thought it was fixed. The van never did seem right after the dealership. Told my wife to take it back she never did. First of this month I started knocking. Back to dealer and they wanted 9k to fix (needed complete new engine), Nope, I said 11k to fix was too much. So I spent 45k 😳. Might of been cheaper out come🤔.

I did notice something like you said with the transmission but it was so subtle that I can’t be sure. That vehicle rides nice. It’s going to the dealer to get the forward camera looked at. It popped up on the display that the camera and forward crash system is disabled. Camera works tho on the display.

The front windows got tinted the next weekend(18% which is darker than factory😕). Now I’m looking into some rims, stock 20s are to small. Also looking into side steps/rails for it. Dealer wanted to much for theirs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
TC was the first gen pentastar 3.6. Never had any problems from it other than dead battery after 6yrs. Then the termostat and lastly the alternator. I changed the brakes as well. I did all of the oil changes and around July this year check engine light came and ride rough. Took it to the dealership to get fixed and 2k later (new head, cam, coil pack, push rod, cam bearings and cam sensor) I thought it was fixed. The van never did seem right after the dealership. Told my wife to take it back she never did. First of this month I started knocking. Back to dealer and they wanted 9k to fix (needed complete new engine), Nope, I said 11k to fix was too much. So I spent 45k 😳. Might of been cheaper out come🤔.

I did notice something like you said with the transmission but it was so subtle that I can’t be sure. That vehicle rides nice. It’s going to the dealer to get the forward camera looked at. It popped up on the display that the camera and forward crash system is disabled. Camera works tho on the display.

The front windows got tinted the next weekend(18% which is darker than factory😕). Now I’m looking into some rims, stock 20s are to small. Also looking into side steps/rails for it. Dealer wanted to much for theirs.
That stinks with the Pentastar.

Don't start thinking every little vibration is an issue, it became pretty noticeable and very consistent for the few that have had issues. Let us know what they say about the camera!

Tint is one of the first things I do as well. Good luck with the larger wheels, I'm one of the few that likes smaller wheels and bigger tires because I've bent a couple wheels and blew out tires on potholes. See if you can pick up the OEM side steps for a better price somewhere, they will always look better, integrate better and feel more sturdy than aftermarket. I have a Westin step on our Traverse and got the same one for the Pilot. It feels better and integrates better on the Traverse but looks horrible on the Pilot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just recently bought a ‘20 Premier back on the 16th of this month. Previously owned brand new ‘12 Town and Country (touring l (POS)).

Like you I am also a new member that just purchased 2020 Premier. Just turned 500 miles. Black Cherry, grey leather interior, chrome appearance package. We love the color. It is an interesting color that changes appearance based on the light situation. We traded a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited we owned for 18 months. We trade our cars every 4 -5 years. This is the only new car we ever regretted buying and it did not last long. Yes we took a $$$ hit but we didn't care. Traded in a 2015 Traverse for Ascent. Big mistake buying Ascent. We only had one mechanical issue with it. But we also had several recalls. The car is just not a vehicle we wanted anymore. In fact we hated the car. The CVT was awful with all its shift points especially climbing hills. Engine noise is obnoxious when accelerating. The ride is horrible on rough road surfaces. Not only do you feel the bumps but you really hear it through the cab. While driving assist technology is standard on Subaru it got really old with the system constantly beeping when it activated. The biggest reason we hated it was the car was uncomfortable. Anyone that was in the car for any trip longer than an hour complained about the seats. The only thing I miss on the Ascent was the directional LED headlights and they do have a great AWD system. We are so glad to be back in a Traverse. The ride is totally different and better. Seats are better. Cabin noise is minimal.

If you go to Ascent forum there are plenty of issues such as draining batteries, transmission problems on the first year vehicles. They sell because for a 3rd row SUV it has pretty good space and you get nicely discounted $$ off MSRP along with a couple of months of 0% on financing offers. Also when the car first came out it was highly rated by critics. It has rapidly lost its position at the top. There are so many better 3rd row SUV available. So glad to be back in the Traverse.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have a 19 Premier with almost 9k miles. It’s been great! My only complaints are I feel like the road noise is quite loud. I find myself turning my music up when I’m on the highway. I mentioned it to the dealer when I went for my 1st oil change abs they said they checked it out and didn’t find anything out of the ordinary. Also I occasionally have connection issues when I plug my iPhone up but that’s sporadic. Finally, you mentioned you were at 950 miles and would be getting an oil change soon... you shouldn’t need one until around 7k miles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome... If you can change your own oil, I recommend looking up AlisoBob's tranny fluid change and magnetic drain plug. IMO, the sun roof shade is delicate so be careful opening and closing them both.
I have been on four 1,200 mile vacation drives and can't be any happier. Great gas mileage and very smooth. In Rockies twice and Smoky Mountains once and going back next month. 1 trip to Lake Travis Texas. Many to KC to see family.
Hope your Traverse works well for you.

·
Registered
‘20 Traverse Premier
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you shouldn’t need one until around 7k miles.
Yeah I know, but I’d like to get it done for my peace of mind. Dealer tried to talk me out of it, for me to save it. I’d just feel better about getting that basically breakin oil out. I know it’s regular oil, it’s more for my peace of mind.

·
Registered
‘20 Traverse Premier
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
feel like the road noise is quite loud. I find myself turning my music up when I’m on the highway.
With this vehicle, compared to my old Town&Country it’s a good bit quieter. I do like that. Mine has the “microphones (?) over head to help with road noise”. Not sure I believe that but it’s what I was told. Should be more for the radio to increase volume as road noise/ engine rpm goes up.

·
Registered
‘20 Traverse Premier
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vehicle got take to the dealership on Tuesday about the camera issue. Yesterday I got the call saying they’re having to recalibrate the camera. So I hope it want be much longer. Wife hates the Equinox they loaned her to drive.

·
Registered
‘20 Traverse Premier
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Dealer tried to recalibrate the camera(?) and it didn’t work. A week later they got it back and replaced the camera on the front. So far it works fine now. Hopefully no more issues arise.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Yes, there’s so many complaints on the backup camera. Ours has been replaced with a new backup camera 3 times and 2 new modules and nothing works still. They were trying to trace a shortage to the cable that goes to backup camera but in doing so, they tore the traverse inside panels apart and never did get them put back together. Theres huge gaps in panels, they broke the things that snaps the panels together and just left it all like that. Left grease all in the new traverse. They just practically totaled my New Traverse. It’s bn in shop more than it’s been in my possession .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts