Traverse Forum banner

New to Traverse, otherwise old

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Watthour 
#1 ·
I'm expecting a delivery in about 45 days, so I may be searching the archives for information, and possibly adding some experiences along the way.

Wish me luck. I wanted to put my roommate into a Tahoe, and she wanted something a little smaller, so here we are. This will be my first V-6 since a Buick 231 (Series II) so it should be entertaining. I've replaced cam followers in other people's 3.6L, and performed various maintenance and repairs to the engine series (not my own vehicles). I'm never looking forward to a change of the timing set, so I think I understand the importance of frequent changes with good oil. I also hope the Hydramatic joint venture plant in Mexico has all the wrinkles ironed out of the 9T65 as they say they do, but I believe I know what to look for as signals or trouble. I'm looking forward to seeing others' experiences with the 2018+ AWD versions.

See you all on the boards.

#2 ·
New to the traverse as well. I had to replace my wife’s car with a 2016 traverse after a hit and run driver tried to kill me two days after Christmas. It’s definitely an upgrade from a ‘07 saturn ion .
Her sister had a car lot so, we went with her. I’m definitely getting a good vibe from the 2016 LTZ, as it has some neat features. There’s a good bit of back story on this vehicle that we are unraveling as we live with this…. So far delightful vehicle. I hope the honeymoon continues for the foreseeable future. I look forward to learning the ropes of owning this vehicle. Signed, newly retired with a very ( for the time being) pleasant traverse.

#3 ·
The 9 speeds have generally been more reliable than the 6 speeds from the first gen were, mostly software issues in the first couple years causing some weird behavior. The 6 speeds were overhauled in 2013 and have been much more reliable, but there are some TSBs for valve bodies with foreign material causing harsh shifts (mine has it) but GM claims it doesn't cause them to fail (hasn't in 140k so far).

These are really good vehicles, comfortable and roomy with nice features. Enjoy!

#4 ·
That you for the reassurance. I am possibly understandably cautious, not necessarily skeptical. I'm guessing that most of the wrinkles are ironed out by now. I expect some reliability but am realistic.

It will have a fairly high standard to achieve. I have recently had three other AWD/4WD vehicles (two Astros, one S10) with pretty good experiences. The comparative Astros went at just about 4,590 pounds on a slightly shorter wheelbase, and were really impressive on snow and ice. The Traverse is only a bit lighter, but I am hoping it does almost as well. More importantly, 230K on one Astro without so much as pulling a head, and 185K on the other in the same condition. Both the 4L60s are original other than regular pan drops and refills. I'm hoping the drain/refill of the 9T65 will help it get close to that. I've been in some Hydramatic transverse transmissions (4T60/65s), and they are not all very reassuring. I see the 9T65 also shares the stovepipe arrangement with those and I'm reserving judgement for now. I do like the larger diameter clutch packs and planetaries, so that's an upgrade from the past versions.

The first car I drove was a '64 LeMans with a 215-inch inline six, and this engine with only a slightly higher displacement produces a lot more power and torque. It's impressive what a little refined control system can squeeze out of a few cubes. The Traverse 217" aluminum V-6 is mature and I'm not at all concerned about the bottom end, but the complex valve train is not as confidence-building as an old-school small block. I've seen the 3.6 with its two boxes of timing chain in the shop, and am not interested in going there. Even spark plugs get interesting.

Unfortunately for the little V-6, I also have a '94 Impala (first year they returned) and it weighs about the same as the Traverse. It isn't AWD, and doesn't see winter, but makes gobs more power (342/407 ft/lb) and still gets 27 MPG highway, just like the Traverse. It also barks the tires through the locker when shifting at 53 MPH to second, which is something I would never expect from a wrong-wheel-drive transmission. The SS has 170K on it all on the original 4L60, with all that thrashing, water-box warmups, and some pretty high RPM extended runs. This new one will need a bit of pampering by comparison, but I still have a pair of RWD SS cars and a vintage Trans Am for the more spirited trips in summer. Theoretically (by mass), the Traverse could see better fuel mileage, but also punches a bigger hole in the wind.

The other minor concerns are the steering rack and transfer case. I've replaced a LOT of racks in a lot of vehicles, and I think the electrically assisted unit may be a real advantage. Time will tell. Baserd upon what I have been reading here, experiences seem typical. Some have nuisance issues, some have serious problems, and some go well toward 300K with only routine maintenance. I'm happy to do that regular maintenance, and am hoping the design is going to take care of the rest.

Attachments

#5 ·
The 2nd gen Traverse has been around since 2018 and I've been on the forum since mid-year 2018. Mechanical problems of any kind with the 2nd gen have been infrequent and relatively rare. Earlier builds had some electrical gremlins - issues with the shifter and infotainment screens - and some complaints about the software in the early 9T's. In terms of reliability, I've been very impressed with the 2nd gen Traverse. The biggest complain I've heard from those that owned a 1st gen as well is that the seats are smaller and not as comfortable, but they still seem to be more comfortable than most competitors.

Sounds like you know what you are doing, the Traverse should be long lived in your hands.

#6 ·
I'm expecting a delivery in about 45 days...
I guessed 45 days. It turns out that it was 43 days, so I win no prizes. However, by the time the dealer finishes with the preparation and installing the options, I could be right on the number.

Then the learning curve steepens.

#8 ·
I guessed 45 days. It turns out that it was 43 days, so I win no prizes. However, by the time the dealer finishes with the preparation and installing the options, I could be right on the number.

Then the learning curve steepens.
Welcome to the club, I'm new as well and will post that soon. Curious how you got a timeline for the delivery? I contacted Chevrolet.com and started a chat and the only thing they provided was...

I have located your order and can see that your vehicle has been produced and, pending some final testing and approvals, will be ready for final shipment. I recommend that you reach out to your dealership for further information on shipment, delivery, and timing. GM is aware of the delays in shipping and is working with our Carriers in an effort to get the orders shipped as quickly as possible, there are many reasons for delays that are beyond GM's control, and we do apologize for the delay and are working diligently in an effort to ensure all vehicles are shipped as quickly as possible to our dealerships for delivery to our valued customers.

What is final testing and approvals...

#9 ·
I ordered my 23, Jan 16. 2023.
I got the call march 7 that had arroved
Picked up march 10.
7 weeks order to delivery.
I believe the bot told me target production date was set for week of 2/20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.