Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would ask this on the Acadia forums but I can't get registered for some reason. I didn't get the email and the cell phone thing isn't working.

We wrecked our Traverse and are looking to replace it.

Found a 2009 Acadia SLT2 77k miles that looks really nice.

However, I asked if the timing chain had been replaced. They said the timing chains were original, ECM reprogrammed at 29k in 2012 and that there's an extended special warranty for that on the unit until May of '19 or 120k.,

So, is there currently a prevailing wisdom that a unit in this condition would be okay or would this be a no-go for most people?

Thanks!!!

Chris

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
being a 2009--- its not if-- but when the timing chain CEL will pop up.
Also- how well was oil level monitored? thats a big question.

So-- it all depends on whether you want to roll the dice on when it will require the chains-- before or after the warranty expires...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
being a 2009--- its not if-- but when the timing chain CEL will pop up.
Also- how well was oil level monitored? thats a big question.

So-- it all depends on whether you want to roll the dice on when it will require the chains-- before or after the warranty expires...

Thanks. That’s what I was worried about as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
THE milleage is quite low. You never know. Some peoples take all kinds of avenues to have the milleage lowered for selling their car easier.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I would be concerned about the timing chain and the transmission wave plate. I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THE milleage is quite low. You never know. Some peoples take all kinds of avenues to have the milleage lowered for selling their car easier.

The condition is fantastic so I think the miles are accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well. If they give you an extended warranty until 2019 and the price is good ( remember this car is already 9 years old) I gess you can go ahead if it is in super good condition. Get a complete check up by a certified mechanic before. Remember that any 9 years old vehicles needs after this age new exhaust system, schocks, ball joints etc etc. This is one of the reason I dumped my 2009 Uplander because I knew I had to start spending some money on it and all the money spent would not be recovered when selling it. Good luck PS. Get the extended warranty on paper for the timing chain. Are you getting this car from a garage or a private party?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would never buy an '09 Lambda, between the timing chain and transmission waveplate issues.

Maybe, maybe dirt cheap ($5k or less) as a winter beater.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is old but hopefully it will help future buyers of these cars... I agree with bakerm28 and hoped the buyer stayed away!! T

here are plenty of other models out there you can go with. The transmission has already been fixed once GUARANTEED. Look at the repair history. It is vague but may say something like 35R repair which is a major transmission repair. It affects speeds 3, 5 and Reverse. Ours went at 41k and again at 100k. First one covered. 2nd one was over $3k. Thank you GM. Plus the timing chain stretches on these because the oil delivery design was bad. Timing chain doesn't get enough oil. Take it for what it's worth. the 08 and 09 were the worst. Slowly got better each year. We now have a 2017 lambda with no issues at 80k. Still feels strong....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts