Traverse Forum banner

New tires for traverse

16K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  rbarrios 
#1 ·
i am considering winter tires for the traverse...i believe it will be costly seing as i want winter tires on seperate rims...meaning i have to spend about $200 for the tire pressure monitor valves themselves..so considering this i was wondering if anyone here has change their tires to nokian wr g2 suv....this is considered to be a winter tire as well as a summer tire..meaing no changing tires in the fall and spring...
thanks for any input

#2 ·
I am too thinking ahead to the fall when I will needing to install winter tires. I have the 18" tires on my AWD 1LT and as I understand there are currently no identical size of winter tires corresponding to our OEM Good Year i.e. P255/65R18 109S. Maybe there will be something by the fall?

#4 ·
copperbeech said:
I am too thinking ahead to the fall when I will needing to install winter tires. I have the 18" tires on my AWD 1LT and as I understand there are currently no identical size of winter tires corresponding to our OEM Good Year i.e. P255/65R18 109S. Maybe there will be something by the fall?
I wouldn't count on it. The Acadia came with these in 2007 and there still isn't one. You can get close with some other sizes. Check the other forums as some people have put on different sized aftermarket winter tires. The Acadia has a strut mount that is really close and doesn't leave a whole lot of width space so keep an eye on width, I don't know about the Traverse.

#6 ·
intotheoh said:
The forteras that are factory perform pretty well in the snow. It would be a big expense to get tires that perform marginally better.
It has been my experience that quality winter tires will perform much more than "marginally better" than all season tires. Quebec is one jurisdiction that mandates the use of winter tires on all licensed vehicles. Having said that I agree such tires will be expensive.

#7 ·
copperbeech said:
It has been my experience that quality winter tires will perform much more than "marginally better" than all season tires. Quebec is one jurisdiction that mandates the use of winter tires on all licensed vehicles. Having said that I agree such tires will be expensive.
Not to doubt you, Copper, but does Quackback really mandate pure winter tires? Or winter-rated tires, which can be good all-season radials.
I mean, I know they get lots of snow (and I think it's fairly hilly, too, no?)
But that's first I heard of a government forcing drivers to have to buy winter tires they have to change over every season.

As an aside, the tires are one of the things I cannot even pretend to boast about on the CX-9. It has Bridgestone Duelers, which seem fine on dry land, but are not great for wet, snow and especially icy conditions. The Trav stock Goodyears seem to be very good, by comparison.
Some people have traded in brand new Duelers for better tires like Yokohama Parada.

Not t
forteras
copperbeech said:

#8 ·
DuayneD said:
Not to doubt you, Copper, but does Quackback really mandate pure winter tires?

But that's first I heard of a government forcing drivers to have to buy winter tires they have to change over every season.
"Quackback" ?? :mad:.

There is no disputing that quality winter tires are far superior to ALL SEASON. Of course one must decide if the expense justifies the extra safety.

(Isnt it time for you to wean yourself of the Traverse Forum?)

#9 ·
Copper,

Do folks get tickets if they are stopped and do not have winter tires? How is the mandate enforced? Next thing you will tell me that when in Quebec, one is not allowed to follow and/or watch the Maple Leafs... No offense, but isn't Quebec the same Province that has repeatedly tried to succeed from your "union"? I would trust the Newfies' before them Quebec'ers :happy:

#11 ·
Better hope hockey is NOT the glue copper since two AMERICAN teams are playing for the Finals tonight. I think me and one other person will be watching NBC tonight.

#12 ·
t4me said:
Better hope hockey is NOT the glue copper since two AMERICAN teams are playing for the Finals tonight.
See that is what Americans don't understand. That is Canadians will watch NHL finals regardless of the teams involved. Generally speaking Americans would not tune into...say a Calgary Ottawa finals. No matter how you cut this is a Canadian game.

I dont think you guys have TV access to the World Junior Hockey Championships? The TV ratings in Canada for his annual event are through the roof. (I guess it helps that Canada has won this event for the past 5 consecutive years.)

Already we i.e Canadians are debating the composition of the Olympic team that will compete on home soil next February.

(As you know tonight is the final game of the NHL season. I am in trouble with my 'better half' as also tonight my son is part of a music recital :eek: and I will be not in attendance :eek:hno:).

Now back to tires....

#13 ·
Copper,

... and you were worried about accessorizing your Traverse... that is the LEAST of your worries now. :sosad: Give me your cell number and I will call you with regular updates! :thumb:

#14 ·
t4me said:
Copper,

... and you were worried about accessorizing your Traverse... that is the LEAST of your worries now. :sosad: Give me your cell number and I will call you with regular updates! :thumb:
Have much...discussion ;), I will be attending my son's concert. I will PVR the entire game and will be sure *not* to turn on XM 204 while coming home. So thanks for the offer my American cousin BUT don't you dare post any info re the game...or I will never speak to you again! ;D

#15 ·
copperbeech said:
There is no disputing that quality winter tires are far superior to ALL SEASON. Of course one must decide if the expense justifies the extra safety.
Absolutely no argument there, my friend, on both points. I was challenging only the unusual idea of a government-enforced snow-tire rule or ordinance (although you did say winter tire, not specifically snow tires. [/color]

(Isnt it time for you to wean yourself of the Traverse Forum?)
What, and miss all the fun to which I've grown so accustomed?
Someone's gotta keep all you Trav-heads honest.[/color] :angel:

#17 ·
not sure where you live but I found mine on kijiji for $800 and they are the 17" size even though I have 18" as the stock size. The 17" size you get some actual selection. We had also called the dealer and for the same ones that I have it was over $1700 including, tires, rims, tire pressure monitors. You can find them used out there if you look.

#19 ·
Well since this thread is back to life... I bought my winter tires on Tirerack, got the cheapest "name" brand and they perform very well. I also bought aluminium wheels from Tirerack for my 4-season tires (Summer), overall everything including the valves cost around $1,400 but this includes shipping in Canada and the exchange rate (where the CAD was slightly higher than the US when I placed my order).

Not bad.

I would never even think of driving a large car like the Traverse without winter tires in my area (Ottawa, and I drive a lot on the 417/40 to Montreal) but I live on the Québec side so it's not optional!

In the end, you use your 4 season tires less so they last longer I guess!

#21 ·
I am in Quebec too. Unfortunately nobody can supply 18" steel wheels for my snow tires, so I'll be going to the 17's.
Since there is a minor OD difference, the speedo will be off by about 2%, so the DIC will under report mileage and be off a bit on fuel economy.
More important , will this have any effect on the fuel/engine management?
Aside from refreshing the TPM sensors' positions, do i need to have the tire size changed in the computer?

#22 ·
Stock tire diameter for all three rim sizes of OEM tires on the Traverse is 31". As long as you keep the difference within 2% there should be no problems with the computer or speedometer. You won't notice any difference in driving, except the snow tires may be noiser.

#24 ·
but the original poster took off his nice rims- and is using some steel aftermarket rims with snow tires.
It will be an easy swap- and relearn of the TMPS sensros come spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.