Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Sorry if this has already been addressed before. I recently purchased a used 2019 traverse LT with only 26k miles. Did the necessary due diligence before buying the car. However, I started to notice a vibration right after the car shifts from 1st to 2nd gear and another one when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. Seems to occur only when I am driving with normal acceleration and when the rpm goes down after shifting. The vibration gets rougher as I drive more in the city (more acceleration and deceleration). Its as if the car is not sure what gear it should shift to. This symptom is not seen at high speed, subsequent gears or during hard acceleration.
No error codes, no engine lights and no upnormal sounds or smells.

I drove the car with the transmission on L and started to manually shift with the +/- button and the vibration was gone. Seems that if the shifting is done by the driver instead of the transmission, the hesitation and vibration issue no longer presist.

Appreciate your guidance if you have ever come across this problem before.

Thanks

· Registered
739 Posts
The torque converter lock up function is shot. When you shift manually, the lock up function is disabled so you dont feel it. The dealer is going to give you all kinds of runaround about how a fluid change and software update will fix it. Thats total BS. All they want to do is make it to the end of the warranty period so YOU have to pay for the proper repairs.....

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.
Worst thing about this is that the warranty expired only 2 months ago and the dealer is not going to handle it even under "goodwill", makes you think about the reliability of these vehicles. I am praying its not the torque converter and that a shudder fix lub would do the job. Otherwise, I will have to bear considerable cost..

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had the time to read it, pretty elaborative on whats needed.

On a side note, does it harm or damage the transmitted if u continue to drive the car with the shudder? Probably a silly question to you and many knowledgeable people in this forum but I had to ask given my minimal experience. Not planning to ignore the problem but intend to address soon it when I get the time and I have to continue driving the car meanwhile.

Thanks again

· Registered
739 Posts
Yes.... as the converter facing sheds, it really weeks havoc on the fluid and the rest of the transmission. Do not let this continue. If you can change your own oil... or have a friend who can....you can service the transmission quite easily.

· Registered
1 Posts
@AlisoBob Is the Mobil 1 LV ATF blue label still your current preference for the 9 speeds?
Thanks for this write up btw, we got a preowned Enclave with 7k miles and I wanted to head off any issue so I did a drain and fill per your instructions. It was just as easy as changing the oil. I used the Valvoline Dex 6 full-sun since I’m still under warranty, but plan on doing another drain and fill soon and may switch to Mobil 1 Blue Label if it’s what the doctor ordered.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Worst thing about this is that the warranty expired only 2 months ago and the dealer is not going to handle it even under "goodwill", makes you think about the reliability of these vehicles. I am praying its not the torque converter and that a shudder fix lub would do the job. Otherwise, I will have to bear considerable cost..
Hi, trans rebuild is covered under power train warranty that ends at 60000, i have had the trans shudder etc since 18000 miles, life got in the way and it got very bad at 57000 miles, they told me " it was a process" so first they swapped the trans fluid to mobile one blue, then after i went back 2 days later, they swapped oil to mobile one black, then back again, then they tried to say they couldnt get trans to shudder, i laughed out loud and told them to keep the car, next day they told me service manger drove car and he agrees that there is a shudder, then they dropped engine and replaced the tourque converter and rebuild the trans, that took a week for parts and a week to do, i took paperwork to my transmisson local guy and he confirmed that it was rebuilt by the parts listed etc. it shifts and feels better than new, hang in there and be forceful and polite. hope this helps you.

· Registered
3 Posts
wow, your right ,sneaky!! they put the same dex oil back in, it says 12 quarts

ok then, will swap it out pronto, dealer was malouf in nj thanks, we are keeping suv, i had bought the extended warranty because of all the electronics & good til 96000 miles , wanted to share car with son and give to him.

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Fluid drain and refill is 5-6 qts. Trans overhaul is 9-10 qts. Measure what comes out and refill with same amount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts