Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very thankful for all the good info and advise here. Browsing the forum, prior to receiving our car, was very helpful. When the vehicle arrived, it took me one Saturday to "set it up" for initial family use.

I thought we might collect all quick upgrade advises here. Hoping this helps new owners and welcomes them to the community.

We could use a format like this:

Model year
Trim level
Link to product
Impressions/tips

We ordered a 2022 LT cloth
Below are some add ons:

1. Running boards
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: TAC Side Steps Running Boards Fit 2018-2022 Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave SUV 5.5” Aluminum Black Side Bars Step Rails Nerf Bars Off Road Accessories (2pcs Running Boards) : Automotive
Buy TAC Side Steps Running Boards Fit 2018-2022 Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave SUV 5.5” Aluminum Black Side Bars Step Rails Nerf Bars Off Road Accessories (2pcs Running Boards): Running Boards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
Never played with running boards before. Took me about 2.5 hours to install. Did not need ramps or a lift to allign in position. Getting under the vehicle was a tight fit but not uncomfortable. There were two holes thatneeded to be enlarged a bit.
The boards look fine after a month of use. They are very sturdy and confirtable height for the kids to climb in and out. Cost was about 1/3-1/4 of OEM price.

2.Captain's chairs covers
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Motor Trend AquaShield Car Seat Covers for Front Seats, Gray – Two-Tone Waterproof Seat Covers for Cars, Neoprene Front Seat Cover Set, Interior Covers for Auto Truck Van SUV : Automotive
Buy Motor Trend AquaShield Car Seat Covers for Front Seats, Gray – Two-Tone Waterproof Seat Covers for Cars, Neoprene Front Seat Cover Set, Interior Covers for Auto Truck Van SUV: Seat Covers - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
These fit very well over the captian's chairs and already paid thrmselves off - mud, apple juice, you name it...

3. Key fob covers.
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Sindeda for Chevrolet Key Fob Cover With Keychain Full Protection Key Shell Case Compatible with Chevrolet 2017-2019 Chevy Malibu Camaro Cruze Traverse Sonic Volt Bolt Equinox-Red : Everything Else
Amazon.com: Sindeda for Chevrolet Key Fob Cover With Keychain Full Protection Key Shell Case Compatible with Chevrolet 2017-2019 Chevy Malibu Camaro Cruze Traverse Sonic Volt Bolt Equinox-Red : Everything Else
www.amazon.com
Somehow, all keyfobs end up in a purse somewhere in the house. Being small and black was making finding them a bit of a challenge.
Having bright & color-coded "mine" and "hers" so far has helped alot in finding the fobs and keeping them in different places.

The shell material feels by nice to the touch and fits nicely over the fob. Should be noted that its harder to press the remote buttons so accidental opening ot the lift gate or unlocking of the vehicle is waaay less likely.

4. Front seat protectors
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Meinkind Car Backseat Organizer, 2-Pcs Car Seat Protector Back Seat Organizer Kick Mats with Clear Screen Tablet Holder, Water-Proof Car Seat Organizer, Travel Organizer for Kids and Toddler, Black : Automotive
Buy Meinkind Car Backseat Organizer, 2-Pcs Car Seat Protector Back Seat Organizer Kick Mats with Clear Screen Tablet Holder, Water-Proof Car Seat Organizer, Travel Organizer for Kids and Toddler, Black: Trunk Organizers - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com
These are not the best for sure, but not the worst either. The Ipad pocket is a good idea but, in reality, does not work very well. Overall, acceptable purchase.

5. Screen protector
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Screen Protector Foil for 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 Chevrolte Traverse 8-Inch MyLink , Car Navigation Tempered Glass 9H Hardness Car Infotainment Display Center Touch Protective Film Interior Accessories : Electronics
Amazon.com: Screen Protector Foil for 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 Chevrolte Traverse 8-Inch MyLink , Car Navigation Tempered Glass 9H Hardness Car Infotainment Display Center Touch Protective Film Interior Accessories : Electronics
www.amazon.com
Took 10 min to install. Adhered flawlesly and is near invisible over the touch screen. Very easy to install, came with all that was needed for the installation

6. Impact wrench
www.amazon.com

Electric Impact Wrench 12V Impact Wrench, 1/2” Car Impact Wrench Corded Power Impact Wrench Kit with Sockets and Carry Case Dobetter-DBIW12 - - Amazon.com
Electric Impact Wrench 12V Impact Wrench, 1/2” Car Impact Wrench Corded Power Impact Wrench Kit with Sockets and Carry Case Dobetter-DBIW12 - - Amazon.com
www.amazon.com
With roadside assitance, this one might never be needed. It works well though.
The reason to purchase is that when they rotate tires, lug nuts are often tightened to specs that make it very challenging to change a tire on the side of the road. Hopefuly, we would not need the wrench, but if we do - its there.

7. Automatic Start/ Stop defeat
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: Auto Start Stop Eliminator/Delete/Disable for Chevrolet Equinox (2019-2021)/Malibu (2019-2021)/Cruze (2019-2021) and for Cadillac XT4 (2018-2021)/XT5 (2019-2021)/XT6 (2018-2021) : Automotive
Amazon.com: Auto Start Stop Eliminator/Delete/Disable for Chevrolet Equinox (2019-2021)/Malibu (2019-2021)/Cruze (2019-2021) and for Cadillac XT4 (2018-2021)/XT5 (2019-2021)/XT6 (2018-2021) : Automotive
www.amazon.com
There are different opinions of that system. I prefer it to be permanently disabled. Took 10 min to install. Worked flawlesly in the last two months. No error messages.

All these I bough on Amazon, but am sure you can find them all over the place.
I have no affiliation with any of the brands above and did not/would not receive any compensation should you use the links or buy the products.

Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your knowledge here and helping other members.

Cheers
Kurbel

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Very functional and sensible group of mods... nicely done! Enjoy your Traverse.

Reactions: Kurbel

·
Registered
589 Posts
Interesting on the 12V corded impact, never seen one before. I see it has a max torque of 295ft*lbs, but it doesn't list the breakaway torque. I would be concerned it's not going to have the breakaway torque to break loose our lugs seated at 140ft*lbs, so I'd test it out before learning in an emergency. I would say just get something like the Dewalt 20V impact which is a beast, and keep it in the trunk with a disconnected battery - I'm finding the Li+ batteries don't discharge much just sitting there like the older NiCads did. I've had them on the shelf for a months and still kept full charge.

OTOH for 50 bucks you really can't go wrong and worth a try.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great call!. I will test the break away capability/lack of in the afternoon and post results here.
On the cordless, I have been eye balling a few for months but couldn't justify the cost(for now :) )
Regarding the discharging - I keep a Li/Ion jump starter in the car. Its on a quarterly check/charge schedule so a battery torque wrench will just be added to that schedule.

Cheers
Kurbel

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Great call!. I will test the break away capability/lack of in the afternoon and post results here.
On the cordless, I have been eye balling a few for months but couldn't justify the cost(for now :) )
Regarding the discharging - I keep a Li/Ion jump starter in the car. Its on a quarterly check/charge schedule so a battery torque wrench will just be added to that schedule.

Cheers
Kurbel
Honestly, as a homeowner I bought into the Ryobi system. All of their 18V tools have used the One+ battery for over 10 years and will continue to. So I have portable lights, fans, drills, impact wrenches, blowers, recip saws, etc. that are all using this same battery system. I keep the impact and the sockets with a pair of batteries in the car on road trips. When the investment is amortized over many projects and uses it's pretty easy to justify.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Honestly, as a homeowner I bought into the Ryobi system. All of their 18V tools have used the One+ battery for over 10 years and will continue to. So I have portable lights, fans, drills, impact wrenches, blowers, recip saws, etc. that are all using this same battery system. I keep the impact and the sockets with a pair of batteries in the car on road trips. When the investment is amortized over many projects and uses it's pretty easy to justify.
I did something similar with the Milwaukee 12volt system. Love the portability and power. Way less flexibility though with higher power consumption tools.
I might get into the Ryobi brand as a supplement - seems very flexible and cost effective as you mentioned.

·
Registered
2019 High Country
115 Posts
No cracked or flaking or chipping plating on lug nuts when used with power tools?
I've seen it many times....
I'm too anal for those, I like break over bars and torque wrenches....
All by hand...

·
Registered
589 Posts
No cracked or flaking or chipping plating on lug nuts when used with power tools?
All by hand...
I always use a torque wrench for putting them on. But cordless impacts are a godsend for removal. Be sure to use impact sockets which have a tighter tolerance and you won't round the lugs.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I did something similar with the Milwaukee 12volt system. Love the portability and power. Way less flexibility though with higher power consumption tools.
I might get into the Ryoni brand as a supplement - seems very flexible and cost effective as you mentioned.

Wonder if 250 is enough breakaway torque... hate to get you into a second tool line but I will admit I have some inherited M12 tools and they are my favorite tools to use.

All by hand...
I got this kit on Amazon and have used it on chrome and Jeep OEM black lug nuts. No problems.

I only used the impact on full beans to take the lug nuts off. Installation I start by hand, set the impact on the lowest setting and drive them in on that (works out to around 90 ft lbs). Then torque by hand with my torque wrench.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Wonder if 250 is enough breakaway torque... hate to get you into a second tool line but I will admit I have some inherited M12 tools and they are my favorite tools to use.

I got this kit on Amazon and have used it on chrome and Jeep OEM black lug nuts. No problems.

I only used the impact on full beans to take the lug nuts off. Installation I start by hand, set the impact on the lowest setting and drive them in on that (works out to around 90 ft lbs). Then torque by hand with my torque wrench.
I use the same non-marring socket for my other car. Never used impacts at home - made myself a nice, long breaker bar to bust them lugnuts off:)

The impact was strictly for "on the road" use in an emergency situation.
I am painfully aware of the dangers of changing a tire on the side of the road so anything (I thought) that will speed up the process would be helpful.

Last few years, all tire rotations for both of our vehicles were either done by Costco or by the dealer. Both places use impacts alot and cant be sure if they ever adjusted setting and didnt overtighten the lug nuts. So a working impact gun might be a must at this point. Still havent tested the corded one I got but already thinking I need a second one for my car anyways...

Ryobi is looking more and more appealing by the minute:)
Thanks for the tips!
Cheers
Kurbel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another add on I forgot to mention is the tires.

First thing I did, on the second day of ownership, was to get rid of the brand new Bridgestone tires the car came with.
There were doubts that my driving impression of them were biased. Usually, I gravitate towards the Michelin brand.
Looking at tirerack reviews - not much appreciation for OEM tire choice either...

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Alenza+A/S+02&partnum=565TR8AAS02&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Traverse+FWD&autoModClar=255/65-18&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Traverse+FWD&autoModClar=255/65-18

Replaced with Pirelli Scorpion AS - night and day difference in ride, handling, noise and planted feel. Two months later-still very happy with the replacement.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+AS+Plus+3&partnum=565TR8SASP3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Traverse+FWD&autoModClar=255/65-18&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Traverse+FWD&autoModClar=255/65-18

In general, I am very impressed with the suspension tuning of the Traverse. I compare it to the way my F30 handles on small roads. I continue to wonder how did GM make such long and wide wheel base and weight handle so well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts